Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

whats the best way to contact prospective employers

whats the best way to contact prospective employers

Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road
Default whats the best way to contact prospective employers

Hi im just starting the process. I was just wondering is it better to phone prospective employers then sending a resume or vice versa?
As I understand it will be alot easier to go direct and get a job offer then apply for the visa.
many thanks
paul
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: whats the best way to contact prospective employers

Hi
I suggest you read the wiki about trucking at the top of the page, (the must read about trucking) you should find the answer there
If not then I am sure it will help you anyway as I am sure you will have a hundred more questions.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Prairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant future

Depends on your personal circumstances!!! Single /family... Unless your single and happy to take a chance I would stongly recommend visiting the country that you plan to move to. Where are you thinking of working/living?

Prairie Pete..

Originally Posted by spockil
Hi im just starting the process. I was just wondering is it better to phone prospective employers then sending a resume or vice versa?
As I understand it will be alot easier to go direct and get a job offer then apply for the visa.
many thanks
paul
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

I would say it is the same as approaching any potential employer.

Write a covering letter and attach your RESUME (For Canada). Make sure they are in word format and sized as Letter Not A4, this way they will open and print for 99% of PC's and printer setups in Canada.

Find out where you want to live and find all the companies that appeal.

Send email attaching both of the above to every truck company ypu have listed.

Also as people say go and visit the place.

HTH...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Well thanks for the info Im looking at either Ontario or Nova Scotia not made my mind up yet. I read somewhere that I should phone them aswell.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spockil
Well thanks for the info Im looking at either Ontario or Nova Scotia not made my mind up yet. I read somewhere that I should phone them aswell.
Yep why not. What I would do is drop them your covering letter & Resume then follow it up with a phone call after a few days to the ones you have not heard from to see if they got it OK & the ones who have replied give them a call and discuss theit responce

But yes no harm in cold calling if thats what you prefer.

Cheers Dave

PS

I would look at changing ISP to Tiscali as it is 19.99 a month incl line rental for 8mb B.Band and unlimited 24/7 calls up to one hour (then hang up and redial) throughout UK and to the top 10 international destinations world wide canada & USA are included as are cell calls to Canada & USA
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for ur advise and the info on tiscali. so il see how it goes and il keep u posted to what happens
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

hiup little up date I phoned a few companies and they sounded really keen so iv sent of a resume to them and just waiting their reply.
how is everyone?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Well done.
I have had a couple of bites at the bait!
I have received a phone call from a immigration consultant, who had received my details after I sent a resume to a company in NS. I am reluctant to use him, but I am quite keen on NS.
I also had Siemens and Yanke get in touch, I am also leaning towards Saskatoon. I am still wary and looking into the details but would be interested to hear how you get on spockil
Cheers
Dinger
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

hi dinger from what i have learned you shouldnt need to use a consultant as a good company will pay and organise everything. Im thinking either Nova scotia or pei or ontario. iv had a few bites aswell from yanke but they say team driving for minimum 2 years. well keep me posted how u get on.
you can learn alot on these forums so just keep reading them
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK
I dont intend to use the consultant, I prefer my cash in my pocket not in someone elses!
I know about the Yanke team driving, I aint that keen on it, but I can do it for two years, I think. As for NS the company that responded will only use a consultant for employment, which is a pity. The consultant actually called me 2 days ago (cash has that effect on ppl!) What he mentioned was the Company were keen for UK drivers and worked the East coast into the USA. He also mentioned that it was single drivers and your wife/partner could travel as well. He also mentioned that he was employed by a number of companies in NS and could get you over there within 4 months as long as there were no issues with criminal records etc).
Obviously this is a sales pitch but it does bring up a few questions for myself!
Anyway hope all goes well for you!
Dinger
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
OK
I dont intend to use the consultant, I prefer my cash in my pocket not in someone elses!
I know about the Yanke team driving, I aint that keen on it, but I can do it for two years, I think. As for NS the company that responded will only use a consultant for employment, which is a pity. The consultant actually called me 2 days ago (cash has that effect on ppl!) What he mentioned was the Company were keen for UK drivers and worked the East coast into the USA. He also mentioned that it was single drivers and your wife/partner could travel as well. He also mentioned that he was employed by a number of companies in NS and could get you over there within 4 months as long as there were no issues with criminal records etc).
Obviously this is a sales pitch but it does bring up a few questions for myself!
Anyway hope all goes well for you!
Dinger
I read some where that canada immigration was making it illegal for companies to use agents,,if i where you id contact the Nova Scotia company direct and speek to them,,,and explain that the services of an agent are not in your budget
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I read some where that canada immigration was making it illegal for companies to use agents,,if i where you id contact the Nova Scotia company direct and speek to them,,,and explain that the services of an agent are not in your budget
Yes I believe this is correct I read some thread a while back that mentioned that it was illegal or will be illegal. I have also spoken to a NS Business development agent (fancy title) who claims to be government employed and takes no fee for assisting immigration? Sounds to good to be true. I am not committing to anything just yet, I obviously want to make sure it is the right decision. I will however look into this agent stuff
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
Yes I believe this is correct I read some thread a while back that mentioned that it was illegal or will be illegal. I have also spoken to a NS Business development agent (fancy title) who claims to be government employed and takes no fee for assisting immigration? Sounds to good to be true. I am not committing to anything just yet, I obviously want to make sure it is the right decision. I will however look into this agent stuff
So which company are you looking at ????
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

The two main ones are Yanke and Siemens. Both these were in the Saskatoon area which seemed ok. As these were the only two I received a reply from so far it makes them top of the list!
I have been looking at NS recently and wrote of to a few with only one reply from Clarkes Transport it was them that passed my details to an agent. Which was a bit of a bummer as I was interested in the area but not to worry I will just have to get my head down and knuckle down to it. I am also pondering on the affordability to live out there. I will have ma wife and me so no kids, assuming wife sits on her butt can we live of a drivers wage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.