Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Whats the after you get your PR?

Whats the after you get your PR?

Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the after you get your PR?

Originally Posted by nofrills
Thanks for replying Christmas oops

Let me try again and rephrase my question.
How about if I got PR in Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Alberta and intended to settle there permanently, but then received an attractive offer to work for as a truck driver in other province/ territory:

1. For a short period of time, up to let's say 5 months
2. An offer of a permanent trucking job that would require me to move to other province permanently.

What would my options be?

Thanks
You should be fine if you genuinely intended to settle there, as said above it's just to stop people getting PR via the PNP of a province they never intended to live in. In that situation, PR *could* be revoked if CIC thought a misrepresentation had been made on that application. But after 5 months (personally I'd give it a year just to be safe), I think they'd struggle to prove that.

Hi flat to the mat for replying.
I,m sorry Christmasoompa for calling you Christmas oops in my previous post, it wasn't intentional, my tablet changes spelling of various words by itself without asking if you don't check it before pressing send button
No worries, most people call me Chris, frankly I'll answer to anything.

Good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying Neil.
See, before I make a move I like to research the subject as much as I possibly can, so I have a lot questions.

Let's assume,I found a job with LMIA, and after some time got my PR.
By this I would have gotten a feel for what Canada and other states/provinces are like job wise and living conditions in general.
After getting PR in one of the provinces, would I be able to move to other province if I found out the job market for truck drivers over there was better than where I was at the moment, or would there be some restrictions?

The other questions. Is regarding being self employed, owner operator/ contractor with your own tractor unit and let's say a trailer. Would it be a smart move of going self employed?
From what I've noticed from watching some TV blogs a lot of drivers go the self employed route, but from what I see you should avoid leasing through a company, better is to get your own bank loan and buy your truck this way, as this way you are not tied up to one company but can get loads from some load boards and work when you want and go where you want.
I know there are still monthly truck payments and truck maintenance and expenses, but at least you decide how much you want/need to work.

Another question is about ice roads in the far north.
Is this still a viable option, is there a good money to be made in 3-4 months time?

Thanks

What your talking about when having your own truck and trailer and using load boards (bottom feeding as previously quoted) is being an "Independent" You have to do everything yourself, license your whole truck in every province and state, the list goes on and on and really not a smart move if new into Canada.
Leasing can in some cases work but most trucking outfits that do it, well imagine being bent over a desk and the guy doesnt use lube, in a financial sense i mean lol There are maybe a handful of trucking companies where you MIGHT make a decent living doing that, Pro of leasing is that one months notice and you toss the keys and walk away if it isn't working, CON, you get no money back ! But at least you don't end up watching the bank take your truck if you get behind on payments then come after your house if they cant recover the full dept.
You can lease outside of trucking outfits, i have a friend here in Edmonton, she leased an 18 month old W900 for i think $2900 per month but that isn't a "wet lease" which means she pays all the maintenance costs herself. But as with all leases if she got into financial difficulties she could walk away from it but she would get nothing back, You have to make all the payments before own the truck.
I would put any kind of owner operator situation out of your mind until you've been here a few years, its not as simple as just go buy a truck, i have seen so many Brits fail trying it. One bought a worn out black international that broke him financially and his reasoning for buying it was it looked like the one in the Convoy movie (Rubber Duck) and no im not joking, he went down in a ball of financial fire !
There are some where you can make a decent living but you need to know the ins and outs of Canadian trucking before you try. Where i am they normally earn between $20,000 and $30,000 per month. Scrub at least $15,000 for fuel then maintenance, then truck payment. But that's only a guide. And no i cant help you as the company i work for doesnt do the immigration thing and never will.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
What your talking about when having your own truck and trailer and using load boards (bottom feeding as previously quoted) is being an "Independent" You have to do everything yourself, license your whole truck in every province and state, the list goes on and on and really not a smart move if new into Canada.
Leasing can in some cases work but most trucking outfits that do it, well imagine being bent over a desk and the guy doesnt use lube, in a financial sense i mean lol There are maybe a handful of trucking companies where you MIGHT make a decent living doing that, Pro of leasing is that one months notice and you toss the keys and walk away if it isn't working, CON, you get no money back ! But at least you don't end up watching the bank take your truck if you get behind on payments then come after your house if they cant recover the full dept.
You can lease outside of trucking outfits, i have a friend here in Edmonton, she leased an 18 month old W900 for i think $2900 per month but that isn't a "wet lease" which means she pays all the maintenance costs herself. But as with all leases if she got into financial difficulties she could walk away from it but she would get nothing back, You have to make all the payments before own the truck.
I would put any kind of owner operator situation out of your mind until you've been here a few years, its not as simple as just go buy a truck, i have seen so many Brits fail trying it. One bought a worn out black international that broke him financially and his reasoning for buying it was it looked like the one in the Convoy movie (Rubber Duck) and no im not joking, he went down in a ball of financial fire !
There are some where you can make a decent living but you need to know the ins and outs of Canadian trucking before you try. Where i am they normally earn between $20,000 and $30,000 per month. Scrub at least $15,000 for fuel then maintenance, then truck payment. But that's only a guide. And no i cant help you as the company i work for doesnt do the immigration thing and never will.

Are we to take this guy seriously, he has no idea of the immigration requirements and hes all ready buying a truck.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Are we to take this guy seriously, he has no idea of the immigration requirements and hes all ready buying a truck.
A lot do go through it in their heads as he is, only a small number actually go through with it. Buying a truck isnt easy and he cant just walk into a dealership and buy one, he has no credit rating for a start in Canada, he would also need a letter confirming he has a contract offer from a trucking company also.
I think a lot who moved here seriously consider it but only a very small number actually make the leap, Was in my mind before i arrived and i was asking questions about it a lot.