British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Westcan and Timeline...please help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/westcan-timeline-please-help-770892/)

Milanuk Sep 7th 2012 7:34 pm

Westcan and Timeline...please help

Hi All, I am new to this forum. I am looking for job in Canada. I have read a lot of threads in here and so far have found that Westcan and Timeline are not too bad companies. I have contacted them both and am waiting for an interwiev. Of course I dont know if I succeed but if I do....could anybody of you recomend me any of them? I would like to earn at least 70k a year and I expect that I will have to work hard to reach it....but is that possible to earn this money in these companies or even more?

I am not doing bad in UK but I would like to try something new and get some new experience.

I hope that somebody can answer my questions :-)
Thank you

Milanuk

Milanuk Sep 8th 2012 8:47 am

Re: Westcan and Timeline...please help

And one more question...is $0.43/mile good rate in Canada? Tímeline is offering this on their website.

jamesmc Sep 8th 2012 4:30 pm

its all down to the #of mls the company give you.
35c is good if they give ya 3000mls a wk.
But 43c is no good if ya get 2000mls
best ask drivers if they get the mls
also extras like ..unload/load,border crossings,also waiting time
not forgetting medical plan ..is it 80% or 100%with you paying the dispense fee
its all in the details.
jimmy

Milanuk Sep 8th 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Jimmy!
Thank you for your respond. I have never worked in Canada and am trying to find a good company to start with. I am single and I just would like to try it over in Canada just to get some new experience and if I will have some spare time..to travel around a bit.

I am just affraid that they can offer me anything and the reality could be different. I don´t know if I can find any Westcan or Timeline drivers on this forum...so my only chance is probably just to go there and try it. I still don´t know if I will be offered a job, I should have a phone interwiev with Timeline next week or so but it still doesn´t mean that I will be offered a job. If you have got some time here a website where you can find what Timeline offers.
http://timelinelogistic.ca/index.php...ur-family.html

Thank you again anyway

Milan

vickysteve Sep 8th 2012 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10270522)
its all in the details.
jimmy

There are a few companies in Saskatoon that are looking for drivers and have lmo spaces available. like the person before said it all in the little details, thats what make the difference.

fergie171 Sep 8th 2012 9:56 pm

:fingerscrossed:

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10270522)
its all in the details.
jimmy

i start with timeline in mid-october.. its actually 43c per mile plus 1cent extra for keeping your truck clean....so in actually 44c per mile....average milage is 3k per week. sometimes more:thumbsup:... this company has been highly recommended its only a small company "25 trucks " but is expected to grow over the next 12 months.,there is more bonuses , but you will find out what they are when you have the interview...... good luck...:thumbsup:

kitbuilder123 Sep 9th 2012 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by vickysteve (Post 10270613)
There are a few companies in Saskatoon that are looking for drivers and have lmo spaces available. like the person before said it all in the little details, thats what make the difference.

Can you name them please?

Milanuk Sep 9th 2012 6:52 pm

Thank you guys! It is very kind of you.
Timeline should give me call this week...I will be all week in my lorry doing Scotland so I will not get to internet.
I will let you know if you want how I am doing with them.

Timeline is expecting to get some othe LMOs according to they facebook...there was a thread from 29th of August that they are expecting to get some LMOs to bring some drivers over...that is why I have contacted them.

Fergie: Good luck to you!!!
Do you know if Timeline has got some health care program? I couldn´t find info about this.

I will still read another threads over here....but it is a lot and lot of reading :-)

Have good day guys!

HeadingNorth Sep 10th 2012 2:07 am

Westcan are ok to work for when you start out in Canada-but I'd recommend you head towards the Saskatchewan terminals.

Angelkinz11 Sep 10th 2012 8:46 am

Congrats to those heading off for a new adventure with Timeline and good luck to those of you trying!!!!

My hubby had his over the phone interview with Troy on friday night and he heads out to Timeline mid-october..the Company looks really promising and friendly...they offer health benefits to the driver plus his family and after six month on temp contract if you make it you will be offered a perm job and PR.

We've heard the best thing to do is..if you have family..hubby go's out for the first year and since Timeline have so much work ..he wont need to rent anywhere and just take his reset in a motel..saves time and money ..well until we get over there the following year..I got a strong impression that Timeline is very family minded and i feel confident my hubby will be well looked after over there...he's knee deep in reading through the drivers handbook etc at them minute as there's alot to take in..i'm struggling to find the commercial handbook so if anyone can give me any advice i'd really apprechiate it muchly!!!

Also i'd love to hear from anyone over in saskatoon at the minute to see how they are finding living there and costs, schooling etc ...

Again good luck and let the adventure begin!!! : )

Milanuk Sep 15th 2012 3:15 am

I have been told to make phone interview this week or so and still nothing happened so I will try to remind myself :-) I am still going to send my documents to Westcan as well...I rather ask more companies becouse I still dont know if anybody offers me a job :-)

kml1056 Sep 17th 2012 12:11 pm

hi Milan
good luck on your research, I have been thinking to go canada since last year and finally made my mind. I have an interview with H&R this thursday and see what happens after that. I Recon its not too bad company to work. I have met few other ex H&R driver and they have recommended this one as there are many others. If you google H&R Trucking canada you will find more info about them. they even have facebook forum which might be in your interest.

good luck

Milanuk Sep 19th 2012 4:47 am

Hi guys! So here we go. I have passed an interview with Timeline on monday and have been offered a job so I am going to fly over there in mid-october. Lets see what happens :-) It is going quite fast to me. I have to rent my house,sell unneeded things (car etc) and dont know what else I have to do before I can go. Any advice?

kml1056: Good Luck to you as well! I have contacted H and R as well but got only an email saying "sorry I am not in office". But I probably contacted wrong person. I think it will be hard job in Timeline becouse of tarping a load in winter condition but If others can do it so I can try it too :-)

Gremmie Sep 20th 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by fergie171 (Post 10270763)
:fingerscrossed:

i start with timeline in mid-october.. its actually 43c per mile plus 1cent extra for keeping your truck clean....so in actually 44c per mile....average milage is 3k per week. sometimes more:thumbsup:... this company has been highly recommended its only a small company "25 trucks " but is expected to grow over the next 12 months.,there is more bonuses , but you will find out what they are when you have the interview...... good luck...:thumbsup:

I just looked at Timeline web page. 43c for deck work is low,:thumbdown:

Milanuk Sep 21st 2012 6:29 am

Gremmie..what is the usual rate for deck? I have got no idea about canadian wages. I just hope I don´t get worst then in UK. It is going to be my first job in Canada. I have never been there and never worked there as well. I am looking for a new life experience. Haulage companies in my area are all the same crap that is why I decided to move out of here :-)