Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Westcan Bulk Transport - What A Nightmare !

Westcan Bulk Transport - What A Nightmare !

Old Jan 31st 2015, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Newstart1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Westcan Bulk Transport - What A Nightmare !

Hi Juganaut,

Westcan never knew I was trying to get another LMO/LMIA right up until I left,

I tried to speak internally to sort my problems through chain of command at first and at every level was dismissed without as much as sorry while they just kept giving me the treatment. Their assistant depot manager sat gormlessly in front of me on one occassion like a nodding dog tutting and sighing after my every sentence. Only to ask me half way through to close the door behind me. I never even got the opportunity to explain what the problems were, he just didn't want to know !

I continued to be given the run around and eventually I went to see the depot manger, who agreed with me and told me he understood everything I said and then in true Westcan style didn't do a thing about it ! About 2 weeks later I quit, after a few days they contacted me, ringing me over and over to come back and now all of a sudden they were sorry and offering me the world to return, at that time I had no other option on the table so I reservedly agreed to return but I warned them any repeat and I would walk ... For good. Upon hours of my return I was sat back in the canteen being bullied by the operator again told I would sit there until they were good and ready to deal with me )

Na sorry I don't think so, I got up ... walked to my car ... and never went back.

What a total bunch of retards ... Seriously ... They begged me to return and then immediately picked up exactly were they left off with the same treatment. They tried ringing me many times, leaving many messages on my answer phone after I never even bothered answering the calls ... I was done being taken for a clown in the Westcan Circus. Yes ... I reported them ... to all the authorities including Transport Canada because of the state of the vehicles they expected me to take Hazardous Liquid Products out onto the roads of Canada in.

If they are no longer allowed to bring in TFW drivers, then that's great, because they really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them. and if my complaints have contributed to that happening then I am delighted because they can no longer lie to decent hard-working families and then later screw them over once they have them there Canada. It's hard to walk away from something when your whole life is invested into it ... I'm glad I had the good sense and courage to do it ... and if I was presented with the same choice again ... I'd do exactly the same

I will never return to Canada, I've seen up close and personal just how Canadian authorities treat overseas workers .. it sucks! They have taken their Canadians first policy to the very extreme and that leaves everyone else exposed and open to abuse. They knew exactly what they were doing when they wrote the laws on their Temporary Foreign Worker Program.. it knowingly gave Canada Companies the permission to bully and abuse foreign workers who dared dream of a better life. Westcan took full advantage of this and punished foreign drivers for over a decade. Canada Government could of stopped it literally overnight by allowing the foreign drivers the right to work for who they wanted even if they kept the same basic condition of only being allowed to work as a "Truck driver". The government never removed it, and knowingly left the abuse to rumble on for many years. Canadians companies done well out of this set-up, and "Westcan" more than most, it was only the Foreign drivers who continued to suffer.

Like I say ... Westcan is a terrible terrible company to try to work for and they make no apology for screwing any driver over at every opportunity.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kb33
I was actually told about this thread on the phone today , So yeah words getting around and excellent post BTW, Although it's a bit late as Westcan can no longer take part in the temporary Foreign worker program .
I have always told drivers to avoid Westcan Edmonton like the plague , I worked for them 07-09 (Calgary ) and got PR after 14 months , Did plenty of research and told not to go by some on these forums , Personally I found them pretty fair to begin with , Paid me $1500 research trip fee , Was treated fair for the most part , I just kept my mouth shut and got on with the job (that was the hardest part for me ), Any safety concerns were treated properly . Although I didn't like the fact that the safety officers would follow you around waiting for you to make a mistake , But the Red safety truck was pretty hard to miss parked in Home depot watching me deliver one day !

I always say they are the Canadian equivalent of Hoyer in the UK , In those days it was a case of getting PR as quickly as possible , Then move on , I realize things have changed now and the stable door as already been closed as regards getting a job there and PR quickly , What Westcan don't understand is , If they only treated their own Canadian Drivers fairly , They would retain them and have none of the driver shortages they have had since I have known them.
In there defence , I and plenty of others got out here through them , But it was at a cost ( like most Trucking companies ), Almost like a jail sentence , And some still work there long after PR , in fact one I know works his days off !! Some have bought their own truck or two and work there pretty happily as lease Op's . So they still do suit some drivers who have been let out of jail long ago .

If you would have asked me before you came over , I most defiantly would have told you to avoid Edmonton , I don't know what it is about the depot , But they certainly don't know how to treat drivers or understand that we all need to make a living without breaking any rules . Personally I don't trust them and they have a terrible reputation all over Western Canada , Bit like an other Trucking company in Red
You've had a bad experience and you're my worst nightmare before I came to Canada , I really hope you can move on and put it down to experience , But yours is just one case were many others have succeeded albeit a few years ago . Im pretty sure you will change nothing and especially Westcan , They are that arrogant !
Best of luck for the future
I landed in 2011 and got my PR within 2 years with Westcan, as for people working their days off he must be wrong in his mind!!!
Old Feb 1st 2015, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Smudger75
I landed in 2011 and got my PR within 2 years with Westcan, as for people working their days off he must be wrong in his mind!!!
Yeah I think he is , Judging by the football team he supports ...
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Newstart1,check your inbox I send you a PM
Old Feb 7th 2015, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

spanners is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, totally agree with this post. I started with wbt but not as a driver as a skilled worker, they try to keep you down and run the place like nazis, we had morning toolbox meetings that included conversations like "you guys came to canada and this is how it is suck it up" and when I asked for promised raise when red seal was passed I got "ahh well, it doesn't work like that" I got nomination for ab. and applied for new work permit it came back "open, open" so I was out of there went to a company called Agland John Deere dealership totally different they were like family and treated you so well it was unbelievable. I know this is slightly different because not truck driving but the same basics, there are hundreds of shit tricks westcan did to me, too many to list maybe I'll post them when I have half a day to spare, guess I should compile a letter to cic listing all the wrongs they did, sorry you had to go back to the uk, we nearly didn't make it here financially and just scraped by.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi spanners,
It doesnt matter if you are not a driver ,you got treated like crap by Westcan and I think you should tell us your experience of working there,it will help to warn people who are thinking of working there in the future.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I have read through all the posts and just wanted to add a few comments.

I am very lucky. I came over here in 2010 to work long haul for a company here in NB. In short they have been nothing short of fantastic. The only expenses that I had to cover were the test fees themselves and the cost of the Medical upfront (later reimbursed). After 6 months of being here either my air fare or the first 3 months of rent would be reimbursed....entirely my choice!! I was then paid from the minute I started by the hour....albeit a low rate but not min wage. I was paid for the days that I was in the class room by the day flat rate. On one of my training runs we were stuck in Delaware for 2 days. My trainer (Dutch lad) said that this was unusual (I was thinking yeah right here we go....He was proved right over time) The terminal manager said go get yourselves a steak dinner etc and bring me the receipt for both nights. This was not just to impress me as a newbie they have done this on the other odd occaisions that I have been stuck. Have you got a shower etc on your reward card?? If not bring me a receipt. One lads wife went into labour prematurely whilst he was down road.....they paid for a hire car from Valdosta Georgia and a flight from Atlanta to get him home.

I had five pay rises in three and half years after I had proved myself to them. The starting rate of pay was the same as most other companies here so It wasnt that I was having to get the rises just to make a living. It was an improvement.

They always ask you (not tell you) I have a load going here or there which would you like???

My fiancee and I parted company after being here a while as we had grown apart. The company was very supportive and asked if they could do anything to help. I was not sure if I wanted to stay here alone or not. I was sat talking to my depot manager and her response was why not pack all the stuff that you dont want to leave here and go home for a visit. You will know how you feel when you get there and just give me a call and we will go from there. Either way no hard feelings you need to do what makes you happy. Anything else I can help you with just ask.....vacation....specific runs....etc. They could not do enough for me. I came though all that in part because of how I was treated. Whilst applying for PNP and PR they were very helpful and supportive even simple stuff like letting me print off all the forms in the office and writing supporting letters etc Now several years later I have moved on from that company to do another job. The only reason being is that I didnt want to be long haul and wanted a day job which they were unable to offer me. They firmly understand that if you treat people well that they will stay and be productive. Lots of their drivers have been there many many years. The longest I think is about 29 years of service. They also dont suffer fools. Plenty of trouble makers have been shown the door.

I am not having a pop at the OP as by his own admission lack of research and planning lead to the horrendous experience with wcb. This really is the crux of the problem. I spoke to many different companies in different provinces with a long list of questions. It is very hard when you are hearing how wonderful it will be. It is a huge risk to step into the unknown and follow a dream as it can cloud your judgement. It was very nearly a bad experience as I nearly chose a different company who I later found out were similar in operation to wcb!! I really hope that the post can save some people from making the same mistakes. There are plenty of horror stories out there about people who come here only to return with broken dreams and a very broken bank account. I just wanted to add my experience to balance and show that not all companies here are like this. In general terms I would say stay away from the bigger players and look toward the small and medium sized carriers. I am very lucky and have done very well out of it.

Now I have a beautiful Canadian girl (of my dreams) a nice house in a nice area and a new car in the drive. Basically just about everything I had wanted and things that I could not have had in the UK. I am not boasting but just wanted to show that it is possible to come here and be successful.

Very good thread.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice to hear someone got treated like a normal human being for a change!There are good companies out there but they are thin on the ground.5 pay rises in 3yrs wow,I know companies in MB who are still paying the same rates from 10yrs ago lol and you got your flights paid.I got ripped off there by the company I worked for,every foreign driver did.
I rented out a room to an Irish guy,he went to NB,Ayr Express ,they looked after him,got him a ride from Winnipeg to NB because he was short on cash,helped him with his work permit.He was very happy he could stay in Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Nice to hear someone got treated like a normal human being for a change!There are good companies out there but they are thin on the ground.5 pay rises in 3yrs wow,I know companies in MB who are still paying the same rates from 10yrs ago lol and you got your flights paid.I got ripped off there by the company I worked for,every foreign driver did.
I rented out a room to an Irish guy,he went to NB,Ayr Express ,they looked after him,got him a ride from Winnipeg to NB because he was short on cash,helped him with his work permit.He was very happy he could stay in Canada.
Heard some really bad things about Ayr motor funnily enough. Revolving door for immigrants etc.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Heard some really bad things about Ayr motor funnily enough. Revolving door for immigrants etc.
The only bad thing I heard about them is they dont pay good.Most companies who use the foreign worker program you will find that most of the drivers who get PR usually leave anyway.I think turnover of all drivers in Canadian companies on average is about 92% ! And thats after 6months lol.

Last edited by neilcumming; Feb 11th 2015 at 3:11 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Not much changes at some companies then I see.
Newstart1 Don't be totally negative about the industry in Canada.
I had a crap experience with H&R in 2008/09 and returned to the UK to get slagged off on these forums for being critical of the BIg Red Team.

BUT

Wondering whether the claims from forum posters that I was 'not up to the job' might be true, I returned to another company in Alberta, and it was a totally different experience, a family business, lot's of miles, not much sitting, treated properly etc etc.
No complaints whatsoever.

I did a full year on a TWP with them then returned as wife wanted to come home for a new grandchild.

I returned to the company in February last year, but only lasted a few months because this time I really 'wasn't up to the job' health wise, but I can only re-iterate, I never had any complaints with them, and would have definitely stayed if I could have.

Never say never Newstart1, you might want to do it again, BUT do the research on the company, not Canada next time.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

All depends on the individuals attitude as well , As I said there's plenty of drivers got on well at Westcan , A lot still there long after PR , One mans meat is another's poison . 7 or 8 years ago they were defiantly one of the better companies to come over with , But the Edmonton depot had the worst reputation then and still as now .
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm orientating a westcan guy now, not an ex pat though but he was with them a long time, he reckons that attitude shift happened after an American outfit bought them, and things changed.
His problem recently was no miles, soon as i'm done with him today he gets his truck and off onto the ice roads till the end of march.

Every case is different but the biggest reason a lot fail here is as stated they look at Canada more than the trucking outfit, If you haven't hauled tankers then don't come to work for a tanker outfit, It's a big enough change without having to learn all the regs for tankers on top, stick with what you know till you have your PR then shop around, My strength was in decks and oversize so i came over to a decking outfit, i saw lots who had only hauled curtainsiders trying to adapt to open deck work here and you just knew they weren't going to make it because they hated it.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Every case is different but the biggest reason a lot fail here is as stated they look at Canada more than the trucking outfit, If you haven't hauled tankers then don't come to work for a tanker outfit, It's a big enough change without having to learn all the regs for tankers on top, stick with what you know till you have your PR then shop around, My strength was in decks and oversize so i came over to a decking outfit, i saw lots who had only hauled curtainsiders trying to adapt to open deck work here and you just knew they weren't going to make it because they hated it.

I had done mostly Curtains, Reefers and Containers in the UK so doing Van and Reefer work here was an easier transition. You could not interest me in flat bed and or oversize for all the tea in china I actually now pull a tank and really love it.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yup thats the key and I've said it before , Find a company in Canada that does similar work you did in England , You'll find your feet a lot quicker and less to learn . I've pretty much only ever done Tankers or Fuel , So Westcan was the obvious choice for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.