Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future
Default Re: Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Behave yourself .there's a driver shortage if you weren't aware so command a decent wage ffs .
I know it's quality rather than quantity which is paramount but $19hr in AB is pityful ,christ I was earning more back in 2006 , that's seven years ago and in SK.
Not wanting a willy waving contest but guys at our place bank $2000 a week d0ing 4 on 4 off , and yes we do have vacancies . Just the week before last I was seconded to our Oil Well Service division and paid $32 hr to stay home on standby ,24 hrs a day .COOP tanker drivers earn $1500 plus bonus working 4 and 4 , Trimac slightly more , even Loblaws pay their shunters more than $19 hr . So yes Jimmy it's bollox .
$19 an hour long haul in winter with daylight restrictions, the tax allowance for all the overnights also adds up to a tidy sum at refund time, but should it be added to the average hourly rate, which would make it about $24 an hour in that case?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you know, I'm waiting for 2 T4's.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I don't think you can include tax allowances in the hourly rate , You have the inconvenience of living in a truck away from home , Buying food etc , To me its just a form of compensation to get the job done , Plus the money comes from the Government not the employer .

Plenty of city jobs paying way more than that and you can sleep in you're own bed , shower in your own shower and have all the comforts of home living , For me thats worth more than a few $k a year .

I work Mon- Fri 8 hrs a day with time an half after 8 , double after 12 , Gross will be around 80K , Think I worked about 3 saturday mornings, no Sundays and all Stat days paid , 15 days sick leave and 3 weeks holiday all paid .

The only thing I swap it for is a 4 on 4 off shift , But that would be in BC not here , Cant see the point in having 4 days off in the middle of winter when its minus stupid outside

And still no one as explained why W&S advertise a lower wage in the ad , Or is it some kind of reverse Canadian physcology ?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickfly
I haven't done my average figures for the full year, but these were from my first 93 days with them, which I thought I had posted previously to counter the $25 an hour which I stated...

93 day period

681 hours over 83 working days

$13301

34078 miles

avg miles 410/day

$160 day

$19 per hour of duty time

8.2 hrs duty time per day

The rate per mile is now higher, but anyone is free to phone up and speak to John.

This was winter time, my average would have been much higher during summer when the daylight lets you attain well over 600 miles a day, and the thing with W&S is that most journeys will be at least 5,000 miles, unlike some long haul companies which run you 1200 then sit you for 2 days before another 1200, etc.

Without any prejudice to W&S,Only 10 day's off in 3 month's,What will a married driver with a family do with all that time at home.

The tax refund at the end of the year cannot be included in your wage's,In one way it's money you have spent living away from home.

As for the 600 miles a day in summer thing that amount's to sitting about for free in the dark in winter month's.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I'm sure W&S are a good company paying decent rates , But I very much doubt any Brit with a family will stay there for very long after getting PR , Far too many opportunities with better wages elsewhere for that to happen.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

NOPe FTTM it is not bollox !!
You mention the Co op drivers ,well in MB out in the boonies where i live the farm delivery drivers/ at local depot are on same money as me.give or take 50c.dont know about bonus or money off in store.
recon most local companies up here pay 35-38c to bulk drivers on the road home for wkends
Off course near Brandon,wpeg etc a bit more .
what im saying ...$19 may be shit in AB<SK . but in rural areas its ok ,hell for a mon-frid ,home every night and working ,no logbook,or mortgage $19 plus 20hrs at 1.5 is liveable.
would i like more ...yup ,could i get more ..yup.. I came to Canada for a better life not to the same old life living in a metal box with no home time.
and for W&S i agree with what KB33 says.
jimmy.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
I'm sure W&S are a good company paying decent rates , But I very much doubt any Brit with a family will stay there for very long after getting PR , Far too many opportunities with better wages elsewhere for that to happen.
There seems to be a few here comparing day work wages for people with PR with OTR wages for people on TWP's.

I would bet that MOST drivers on OTR TWP's do leave when they get PR (or maybe get a better deal with their company).
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jamesmc
You mention the Co op drivers ,well in MB out in the boonies where i live the farm delivery drivers/ at local depot are on same money as me.give or take 50c.dont know about bonus or money off in store.
recon most local companies up here pay 35-38c to bulk drivers on the road home for wkends
what im saying ...$19 may be shit in AB<SK . but in rural areas its ok ,hell for a mon-frid ,home every night and working ,no logbook,or mortgage $19 plus 20hrs at 1.5 is liveable.
would i like more ...yup ,could i get more ..yup.. I came to Canada for a better life not to the same old life living in a metal box with no home time.
jimmy.
$19 was for winter... it is not the annual average, and it is not for people home every weekend!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

I work Mon- Fri 8 hrs a day with time an half after 8 , double after 12 , Gross will be around 80K , Think I worked about 3 saturday mornings, no Sundays and all Stat days paid , 15 days sick leave and 3 weeks holiday all paid .
You're comparing different types of jobs... and you have PR, of course it's shit compared to your situation... can you get me a job there?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're comparing different types of jobs... and you have PR, of course it's shit compared to your situation... can you get me a job there?

There both driving jobs , I couldn't do the W$S job though as I have no experience in that field not even it meant a way to get PR .

Mines a fuel job , something I have over 20 years experience in and there are fuel jobs here with LMO's , Mine's just one of the better jobs in that field. But even the lesser paid less attractive fuel jobs pay a lot better than W&S . Plus you would be home far more often.

And sorry no vacancies or LMO's, I doubt you would enjoy the work anyway.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

There both driving jobs , I couldn't do the W$S job though as I have no experience in that field not even it meant a way to get PR .

Mines a fuel job , something I have over 20 years experience in and there are fuel jobs here with LMO's , Mine's just one of the better jobs in that field. But even the lesser paid less attractive fuel jobs pay a lot better than W&S . Plus you would be home far more often.

And sorry no vacancies or LMO's, I doubt you would enjoy the work anyway.
I meant you are comparing OTR with day work.

I enjoyed the W&S job and it suited me in my situation, but you're right, I probably wouldn't enjoy tanker work and am happy to stick with flat deck work, although my deck work finishes here in May when I will be spending summer in France, then maybe back to Canada in October.It depends on how my missus gets on away from our Grandchild whilst working in France with me.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I meant you are comparing OTR with day work.

I enjoyed the W&S job and it suited me in my situation, but you're right, I probably wouldn't enjoy tanker work and am happy to stick with flat deck work, although my deck work finishes here in May when I will be spending summer in France, then maybe back to Canada in October.It depends on how my missus gets on away from our Grandchild whilst working in France with me.
Yeah I know , But you could still go with someone like Westcan who have LMO's and not do the OTR thing as such , Be home more and still get paid a lot more than W&S , Just have to put up with a lot more BS than W&S.

Westcan for all their faults are still one of the best companies for the family man coming over , And it's not just hauling Fuel either , Plenty of other stuff they haul.

Plus they know the AINP pretty well , So things are more likely to go a bit smoother with the PR process

Last edited by kb33; Feb 10th 2013 at 8:27 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
jimmy.
When I mentioned Coop I meant the Super B drivers hauling from the refinery , the local bods on the straight trucks only get $ 16/18 hr here too ,but it's their choice .
I never intended to carry on driving after PR but this job fell into my lap , or was pushed , but you rightly say we came here to better our lifestyles and do what must be done to further the cause .
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:46 am
Just Joined

spike50 will become famous soon enough

sorry to butt in here , but this arguement has turned into the same sort we get in the uk about different types of jobs ,
i.e. supermarket home every night , different truck every day, and yes pretty good pay for the hrs versus
european , your own truck all the time ,away 2-3 weeks for piss poor wages but we still do it ?

why ? because we are all different and want different things ,
me , i like to explore , see different places , live what i consider a good lifestyle , yes in a tin box , but then that wouldnt suit a lot of people , and yes i could get a lot more money and be home every night watching corri enders but i dont want to and never have

its just a case of people doing what they are happy with and if they can earn enough money doing it , great
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah ,For 99% of us that came over ,..Canada was just another day/night on the road no different than the yrs we travelled in uk & euro.
Then for some we saw the light at the end of the tunnel ,,,no more nights/wks away from the family and after our obligations to our first employer was done we found a job that gave us a chance to (personally) spend time with the family,,,and spend nights in my own bed..have a social life.spend the summer wkends at lake .after 30yrs looking through a windscreen i deserve it!.
I admit i was burned out when i came to Canada ,worn down by yrs on the road away from home,and all the crap that comes with it.,the 30mnths i spent on the distance in Canada i wouldnt have missed it for a minute ( apart from 2 drops in Edmonton)..
okFTTM we agree to disagree lol
No offence intended to the boys still running OTR.
jimmy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.