British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Watt and Stewart wanting drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/watt-stewart-wanting-drivers-783963/)

mickfly Feb 5th 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Watt and Stewart wanting drivers

Originally Posted by spike50 (Post 10525836)
yeah if you could give me a link that would be great , me and puters arent that good together

I messaged Nick, but he must be away from internet.

adrianmk Feb 7th 2013 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10496271)
Hey Dirtytrucker, nobody is slating the company, generic ad or no, it's the company that are advertising the rates/hrs and even you must admit that it sounds s--t.
Why would any company advertise those wages if they are paying so much more ?
One thing I do give W&S credit for is they do say it is a 70hr week unlike Bison that advertise for long-haul drivers $56k for a 40hr week.

I have taken a job with W&S 2 weeks ago & i spoke with John Stewart ,his words were to me that on the advert it is a requirement to put that as a minimum figure,its nothing to do with what you actually earn there.

He explained all the rate structure and how its worked out,i accepted the job & will fly out next month to start.

My advice would be to anyone interested in working there to call him >& get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

adrianmk Feb 7th 2013 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by alandoug (Post 10524487)
He is at Searcy in Winnipeg now. Too much aggro in Alberta for PR

Hi Alan,

while i was waiting for the H&R interview i took your advice & called up John stewart, i fly out next month.

i'll give you a call to let you know how im getting on.

Gremmie Feb 8th 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by adrianmk (Post 10531060)
Hi Alan,

while i was waiting for the H&R interview i took your advice & called up John stewart, i fly out next month.

i'll give you a call to let you know how im getting on.

So W & S are now the new H & R ??????:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

adrianmk Feb 8th 2013 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 10531758)

You have missed the point as you were not part of the telephone conversation that i had with Alan,which was basically if i needed any advice about coming to Canada speak to John,end of.

The other point i think you have missed is whether it's H&R,W&S,Triline,Bison,Westcan etc.......these are company?s that have experience in LMO driver's irrespective on how great they are or not and people make there choices on how good or bad they are once they have experienced the job.
When you first came to Canada the company which you started with is still where you are now? probably not.

as for my choice to come to W&S its based on what i want and my personal opinion of the company now that i have spoken to them,they sound genuine,well versed in LMO's,and sincere.
May be or may not be the best job but in my own heart i am happy to come there and work.

Another point on here is that this is a forum for people to get information,help,advice.not for people to make fun & be negative towards everything and everyone.

Be safe,

kb33 Feb 8th 2013 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by adrianmk (Post 10531056)
I have taken a job with W&S 2 weeks ago & i spoke with John Stewart ,his words were to me that on the advert it is a requirement to put that as a minimum figure,its nothing to do with what you actually earn there.

He explained all the rate structure and how its worked out,i accepted the job & will fly out next month to start.

My advice would be to anyone interested in working there to call him >& get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

So are you going to tell us all what the "rate structure" is ?

And I still cant work out why they advertise one salary yet seem to pay another :confused:
If they pay a better rate why not advertise the fact ?

mickfly Feb 8th 2013 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10533474)
So are you going to tell us all what the "rate structure" is ?

And I still cant work out why they advertise one salary yet seem to pay another :confused:
If they pay a better rate why not advertise the fact ?

I haven't done my average figures for the full year, but these were from my first 93 days with them, which I thought I had posted previously to counter the $25 an hour which I stated...

93 day period

681 hours over 83 working days

$13301

34078 miles

avg miles 410/day

$160 day

$19 per hour of duty time

8.2 hrs duty time per day

The rate per mile is now higher, but anyone is free to phone up and speak to John.

This was winter time, my average would have been much higher during summer when the daylight lets you attain well over 600 miles a day, and the thing with W&S is that most journeys will be at least 5,000 miles, unlike some long haul companies which run you 1200 then sit you for 2 days before another 1200, etc.

mickfly Feb 8th 2013 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 10531758)

No comparison whatsoever.

BTW Hows your mate BTD doing with the big red team?

flat to the mat Feb 9th 2013 4:03 am

Originally Posted by mickfly (Post 10533544)
I haven't done my average figures for the full year, but these were from my first 93 days with them, which I thought I had posted previously to counter the $25 an hour which I stated...

93 day period

681 hours over 83 working days

$13301

34078 miles

avg miles 410/day

$160 day

$19 per hour of duty time

8.2 hrs duty time per day

The rate per mile is now higher, but anyone is free to phone up and speak to John.

This was winter time, my average would have been much higher during summer when the daylight lets you attain well over 600 miles a day, and the thing with W&S is that most journeys will be at least 5,000 miles, unlike some long haul companies which run you 1200 then sit you for 2 days before another 1200, etc.

Must've had more beers than I thought if I'm reading this post correctly . $160 PER DAY or $19 PER HOUR is utter bollox .
Any wonder they want to recruit more UK drivers when they're paying this third world rate , well done Mick:eek:

mickfly Feb 9th 2013 8:43 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10533817)
Must've had more beers than I thought if I'm reading this post correctly . $160 PER DAY or $19 PER HOUR is utter bollox .
Any wonder they want to recruit more UK drivers when they're paying this third world rate , well done Mick:eek:

What do you want FTTM? Do you want me to be dishonest?
Maybe you did have more beers than you thought, and didn't read this bit...

These were average figures for one period (the slackest).

Unfortunately there are still very few people from different companies who are not willing to put ANY average figures on here, and if you like I could post only my best months figures, which would make the job look like a dream.

alandoug Feb 9th 2013 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mickfly (Post 10533546)
No comparison whatsoever.

BTW Hows your mate BTD doing with the big red team?

Mr Dog is long gone from the big red team. Macros at H&R are loads of BS, along with fuel policy. Strict route a pain. He may well enlighten us with more?

jamesmc Feb 9th 2013 11:49 pm

Im sorry FTTM,, $19 an hr is not a bad hrly rate ,well in MB anyway.
To be honest that s what im on,,well for first 42hrs worked ,then 1.5x for rest of wk.
yes i know im not in AB and the works different but i beg to differ when you say its bollox.
jimmy..

flat to the mat Feb 10th 2013 2:07 am

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10535052)
Im sorry FTTM,, $19 an hr is not a bad hrly rate ,well in MB anyway.
To be honest that s what im on,,well for first 42hrs worked ,then 1.5x for rest of wk.
yes i know im not in AB and the works different but i beg to differ when you say its bollox.
jimmy..

Behave yourself .there's a driver shortage if you weren't aware so command a decent wage ffs .
I know it's quality rather than quantity which is paramount but $19hr in AB is pityful ,christ I was earning more back in 2006 , that's seven years ago and in SK.
Not wanting a willy waving contest but guys at our place bank $2000 a week d0ing 4 on 4 off , and yes we do have vacancies . Just the week before last I was seconded to our Oil Well Service division and paid $32 hr to stay home on standby ,24 hrs a day :D .COOP tanker drivers earn $1500 plus bonus working 4 and 4 , Trimac slightly more , even Loblaws pay their shunters more than $19 hr . So yes Jimmy it's bollox .

neilg14 Feb 10th 2013 12:43 pm

Mick or Dirtytrucker, here's an easy one.
What was your gross for a 12 month period ?

mickfly Feb 10th 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10535894)
Mick or Dirtytrucker, here's an easy one.
What was your gross for a 12 month period ?

I'll tell you when I get my t4, what was yours Neilg14?