Wages for Truckers

Old May 13th 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

silentwispers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

Originally Posted by Webster
I know this information 1st hand. Many uk drivers who came over in the past 6 months to work for Kindersley Transport are NOT running US, as promised. They are tranferring over to other companies within the group due to lack of miles and low pay.
Saskatchewan is the least expensive place to live but the economy is going through a boom right now and the cost of living is rising quickly. Soon housing will be as expensive as Calgary. Just do the math when it comes to figuring out what kind of life style you want to live. To rent in Saskatoon you are spending $1,300 a month for a house, a mortgage payment will be equal to this and then you have another $250 property taxes plus heat & utilities- $325, then you have food for a family of 4 -$700, car lease/payment- $400. Then you have clothing, houshold essentials,school expenses, kids activity costs etc...
So with an income of $50,000 less income tax=$38,500/12= $3,200 per month. Expenses for food and shelter ONLY = $2,575per month
If you do not come to Canada with a lot of money in your bank account, you will be living pay cheque to pay cheque and possibly going into debt at the same time. This is a fact. Until wives can work and families can benefit from a double income, you will be living close to poverty for a family of 4.
hi well Ive been reading what you have been saying and its been a bit of putting, is this your first hand experience or have u herd this on the grape wine . do these firms lie to you, treat u like shit, or don't get paid for the work you do, and don't sort the problems out with the family when your on the road. this worries me if that is the truth what your saying, then i must say is it worth , same shit but a different land .
Pete
Old May 13th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

hi
what I'm looking. for people are saying that a quite amount off people came back from canada that it did not work out for them there. but the thing is you never hear about a report from them, only from other people that have never been there, is there any web sites with there stories which they wrote

Pete
Old May 13th 2007, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

jaydog68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all on this thread and a big, big thank you to Karla - you have made my day.
I have been following these threads with interest over the last week or so and have been starting to panic that these companies are not as they seem.
We went to Moose Jaw - Westcan in Feb this year and Neil now has his LMO and contract etc and are just waiting on the house sale and then we are off, so it is fantastic to hear someone singing westcans praises and confirming all we thought about the company. Sandra, Tyler and co were so upfront and helpful to us and as you say the company is very,very family orientated, which having two young kids swung it for us.

I'm really happy for you and you never know maybe not too long now before we have a beer or 10 in sunny ole moose jaw.

By the way - be interested to hear what you thought of the different areas to live in and schools etc.
Keep in touch - Jayne
Old May 13th 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Webster you still dont say how you have come to have all this first hand experience and if what you say is true then maybe you should share your experience with us on here not just say alot of stuff. You dont have to put every personal detail as to why or how. Would be good to know who you worked for and how long and so on, laurie Rose is a different matter and as for sexual favours for contracts im sure they knew what they were doing.
If you had a bad time out there or maybe your partner didnt like it and wanted to come back to the UK which would mean coming back sooner than you probably would have but partners and family are a big factor out there.
Every bit of info helps all the people who may be thinking of doing the same and could save what might be a disaster for some thou there are plenty who have made it good there.
All good and bad posts are worth there pound of salt even if some folks dont agree but hey thats life i would say, dont you think.
Thanks again,
LOAFY
Old May 13th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Webster
I am new here and reading the comments decided to tell ALL about Saskatchewan and the companies etc... On the topic of wages.......Siemens will pay $50,000 give or take(running single) Yanke will be similar,BUT all Brits have to run team for a min. of 12 months which you can earn Upwards of $70,000, you must run hard 14 days 24 hours per day non stop, 3 days off. Wives cannot work for 6 mths so a $50,000 income is not sufficient for a family to live a comfortable lifestyle. Siemens will give the Brits the oldest trucks in their fleet which constantly break down. The trucks in which they do the training are so run down that on the day of the drivers road test SGI (license authority) will refuse testing. They also wont provide a truck with a double bunk for the drivers who want to take their wives on the road with them so they have to share one bed. Kindersley Transport (Siemens)will only run the Brits in Canada and refuse them USA runs even though they promise this in the interview. Therefore giving the Brits less miles and keep the good runs for the Canadian drivers. Doug Siemens recommends the estate agent Laurie Rose so that he can profit from any Brits who purchase houses with her. This agent does not look out for the interests of the Brits and various rumours going around about her ethical and moral standards and exchanging sexual favors for signing contract. Doug Siemens has been recently demoted for having an affair with a certain individual and the company is in jeopardy due to divorce proceedings. I would seriously reconsider this option. Yanke has newer lorrys (Volvo)but the companies reputation is equal to Siemens. The drivers are not happy and the President Scott Johnson goes on sacking sprees when he's pissed off at something. Many Brits have lost their jobs and gone back to the uk with nothing. These companies both know that once you sign that contract, sold your house in the uk and belongings, and arrive in Canada, you cannot financially afford to go back to nothing and start again. With them knowing this, they do not treat you well. Be aware of these 2 companies and consider other options who are truthful and upfront.

You are not the only one saying this. Many many people we spoke with from Siemens said the same. They just don't care about families.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by karla03
You are not the only one saying this. Many many people we spoke with from Siemens said the same. They just don't care about families.
Hi Karla,
What did you think to it all then on the whole, was it what you expected it to be and more or less.
I'm fed up with the waiting at the mo doing my head in just thinking about and planning for it.
Any news on Yanke would be good, I already have there info pack unless you have more would be great to look at, i think you have my e mail addy.
Glad you are fixed up with things there, how soon do you think it will be before you go or is Simon going first.
Like you said in your post you have to think of the family first and if there good with that then your half way there i would say.

TTFN LOAFY...
Old May 13th 2007, 6:05 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Why should they? They are running a business not a nanny service for the wives and kids The reality of life here is that the companies want the trucks to get from A to B with the lowest cost to them. The new drivers will have to run in teams, you won't get the pay you think you will at the start and the drivers will be gone for long stretches. If there is no load coming back, the layovers can be days at a time, which blurs into the off days...so you never actually get back home. That leaves the wife and kids at back at home in SK in what is frankly not the most exciting landscape. If you are a stay at home Mum in the UK you will be OK, if your hubby is away a lot now. I speak from direct first hand experience, btw. There is a reason these companies are recruiting in the UK. Think about it.
Old May 13th 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dingbat
Why should they? They are running a business not a nanny service for the wives and kids The reality of life here is that the companies want the trucks to get from A to B with the lowest cost to them. The new drivers will have to run in teams, you won't get the pay you think you will at the start and the drivers will be gone for long stretches. If there is no load coming back, the layovers can be days at a time, which blurs into the off days...so you never actually get back home. That leaves the wife and kids at back at home in SK in what is frankly not the most exciting landscape. If you are a stay at home Mum in the UK you will be OK, if your hubby is away a lot now. I speak from direct first hand experience, btw. There is a reason these companies are recruiting in the UK. Think about it.
I don't want a nanny service:curse: I want a company that will care about me and my family. Westcan offers this service - so thats where we are going.
Old May 13th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

hi loafy and to all
well what can u say now we are getting the bad feed backs its not all gold over there, but no risk no gain, i know the firms are not a nanny firm, but its nice to know that when we are on the road for 10 to 14 days, that firm would in a way watch out for the family if there was any trouble. the point is a happy driver is a good driver a loyal driver a safe driver,. but if your worrying all the time for the family and knowing no one is watching out for them when the problems occur. i think that's not fair for family and kids. or am i getting this wrong.?????????????
Old May 13th 2007, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

jaydog68 is an unknown quantity at this point

just wanted to agree with silent wispers. i don't need someone wiping my kids noses every 2 mins but with us being in a foreign country and neil working away for 5 or 6 days at a time, it is just nice to know that the company are approachable and willing to help if you did need anything. Sandra at westcan made it clear that's what would happen and then obviously neil is gonna be happy being away knowing theres people looking out for us.

Just to add that we haven't just been told this to get us over there - we have met and spoke to loads of families that say that westcan are true to their word!

Jayne
Old May 13th 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Pete,
No i dont think it is to much to ask if they say they look after their drivers and families as well, in that i mean they will help newcomers as most of them say they do in there info packs. I have read so much on here with old and new threads and on the whole its a split between good and bad.
Like you say and in the past from me same s-it different country, Just maybe a better life.

LOAFY...
Old May 13th 2007, 7:57 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want a nanny service:curse: I want a company that will care about me and my family. Westcan offers this service - so thats where we are going.
Companies in Canada do not care about you. If you really believe that a cut throat business enterprise gives a monkey's about you and your family, I wonder how you will cope when the boring reality of living in SK hits home. I am not being harsh here, it is just that I read these threads and it is baffling to me why anyone would move their family to a place like SK, on the basis of a glossy presentation from companies who cannot recruit locals to do the job. The only question anyone should be asking is why won't the locals do the job if it's so good?? I guess if you are coming from a hell hole in the UK, it could seem better. Who knows?
Old May 13th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Companies in Canada do not care about you. If you really believe that a cut throat business enterprise gives a monkey's about you and your family, I wonder how you will cope when the boring reality of living in SK hits home. I am not being harsh here, it is just that I read these threads and it is baffling to me why anyone would move their family to a place like SK, on the basis of a glossy presentation from companies who cannot recruit locals to do the job. The only question anyone should be asking is why won't the locals do the job if it's so good?? I guess if you are coming from a hell hole in the UK, it could seem better. Who knows?
Please give me alittle credit. I am not some idiot who takes glossy pictures as a fact. I have been to the town where I want to live and I do know the good and the bad points. I know how harsh it will be and if my husband and I could serve 10 years in the Army - people telling lies will show through. I like SK and everyone is different and please do not judge me or my family. The UK is no hell hole and I like the area I live in, but we prefer Moose Jaw.

I know many families who live in Moose Jaw and they like it. I can tell by the way you write about Sk that you do not like it much, but please - everyone is different so let them make their own mind up.

I am writing on this website to ask questions and trying to help anyone I can.

Last edited by karla03; May 13th 2007 at 8:09 pm.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lets see now dingbat.
A. are you a trucker,
B. how much do you know about the trucking business,
C. you live in BC. But i guess maybe you know a little about SK.

Just for the record i work for Christian Salvesen which is the third largest truck company in the UK and we have head hunted in Poland and Hungary for drivers as here in the UK no one wants to do it either, but the ones that do wish they did something else most of the time or head off to another country to do what they enjoy doing which is trucking and not the we must keep the share holders happy crap. Locals dont do it because they dont want the long stints away from home so there is a massive short fall in drivers in Canada. At last count in the UK there was at least 65'000 driver jobs shortfall and not being filled by a younger generation no one believed the FTA when when they shot a warning sign to the goverment but they do now and are doing the same with Pols and other east european countries as the canadians are head hunting the brits.
Loafy
Old May 13th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loafy
Lets see now dingbat.
A. are you a trucker,
B. how much do you know about the trucking business,
C. you live in BC. But i guess maybe you know a little about SK.

Just for the record i work for Christian Salvesen which is the third largest truck company in the UK and we have head hunted in Poland and Hungary for drivers as here in the UK no one wants to do it either, but the ones that do wish they did something else most of the time or head off to another country to do what they enjoy doing which is trucking and not the we must keep the share holders happy crap. Locals dont do it because they dont want the long stints away from home so there is a massive short fall in drivers in Canada. At last count in the UK there was at least 65'000 driver jobs shortfall and not being filled by a younger generation no one believed the FTA when when they shot a warning sign to the goverment but they do now and are doing the same with Pols and other east european countries as the canadians are head hunting the brits.
Loafy
Could not have put it better myself.....Choice of name says it all DINGBAT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.