Wages for Truckers

Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

porter.family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

Well hello all. After trawling through all these wages and driving hours posts. Me and Christine and our 2 teenage girls have decided that we are NOT going to take the plunge and move over. Fortunately for us we have only just started our immigration study and after reading these comments by you all we have decided not to continue. We where gutted to read the entire negative posts and quite frankly it has scared the living daylights out of us. On a positive note we feel that we have been spared the financial ruin that some have had on here. I have driven over most of Europe and covered millions of miles in the UK on wages in excess of 450/600 English pounds per week before stoppages.
I am in a job here in wigan greater Manchester where I am home every night now and still taking home 360 pounds after taxes and I only drive to Motherwell and back.
We could not take the plunge to Canada taking into account that I would be away so long and many hundred miles more on less money. The cons seem to outweigh to pros and the thought of Christine my good lady wife being left at home for sometimes weeks on end along with the children would worry me. Thank you to all who have posted on here to give there views has greatly help change our minds and stay put even though this backside of a country is going to hell in a hand cart and the country is becoming a dumping ground for illegal immigrants and the crime rate has soared out of control.
We wish you all well and wish everyone who are going or have made the move much success for your future with your new lives.

All the best
Keith and Christine porter family
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:42 pm
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by porter.family
Well hello all. After trawling through all these wages and driving hours posts. Me and Christine and our 2 teenage girls have decided that we are NOT going to take the plunge and move over. Fortunately for us we have only just started our immigration study and after reading these comments by you all we have decided not to continue. We where gutted to read the entire negative posts and quite frankly it has scared the living daylights out of us. On a positive note we feel that we have been spared the financial ruin that some have had on here. I have driven over most of Europe and covered millions of miles in the UK on wages in excess of 450/600 English pounds per week before stoppages.
I am in a job here in wigan greater Manchester where I am home every night now and still taking home 360 pounds after taxes and I only drive to Motherwell and back.
We could not take the plunge to Canada taking into account that I would be away so long and many hundred miles more on less money. The cons seem to outweigh to pros and the thought of Christine my good lady wife being left at home for sometimes weeks on end along with the children would worry me. Thank you to all who have posted on here to give there views has greatly help change our minds and stay put even though this backside of a country is going to hell in a hand cart and the country is becoming a dumping ground for illegal immigrants and the crime rate has soared out of control.
We wish you all well and wish everyone who are going or have made the move much success for your future with your new lives.

All the best
Immigrating to Canada is not for everyone otherwise every other country would be empty. Even if you came over here and saw what a beautifull country it (and USA) is you would be out of pocket by about £3000 for a 2 week visit.

Horses for courses i think the saying is, best of luck for the future.

Lyndon
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:08 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My H&R thread

Originally Posted by Lyndon001
Sorry Gremmie, cant do that, bad desisions have been made for the wrong reasons.

That thread was documenting (amongst other things) my first few months going thru the move and working with H&R. A lot of people read it and want to see what i do so they know what to expect and if it workd, sorry mate i am not going to let people down, the system is wrong, can one man make a difference, maybe not but he will be heared.
One man made a difference when he decided to close the thread, The reason? people complained they didn't like the arguing, Solution? stop reading the thread (the ones that were upset) not close it.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

We now have a home but not where i would have liked it, never mind eh
LOAFY...
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:01 am
Just Joined

dazygee is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i moved to canada 2005 as a trucker and i went to a company called westcan in calgary the wages promised to us at the interview did not match up when we got here so i put in my extra hours to earn a wage. I used to clear around 1700 bucks a fortnight over a year around 40k clear i actually earned 61k but you have to pay towards health care, pension your taxes and we had a percentage taken each paycheck for our holiday pay so when we got too have our 2 weeks holiday that they give you each year you get some pay. you can get on with 1700 bucks but it dont go far in calgary but as for SK i know houses are cheaper out there but i have not lived there to comment. Is it a better life? yes people are great here and the country is stunning , a better lifestyle ? No not as a trucker you will spend as much as 18hours behind that wheel, sleep out in the truck more than you are at home and you get to drive in some of the worst driving conditions you can imagine (stay away from the mountains in the winter) what is wrong with trucking is they pay by the km and in the summer thats o.k in the winter it will slow you down some and you will be taking her steady down trans canada at 80k and then the mad truckers fly by at 120k and half an hour later you see them jack knifed in a ditch down the road
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by porter.family

All the best
Keith,
Some people on here will be suprised at my reply to you!!!!
Don't give up on Canada do ALOT more research and if possible go over on a "reccie" (as Canadian companies like this networking thing).
There is no problem with phoning a trucking companies human resources depart and asking about the possibility of "day" jobs and getting a LMO and WP.
There are plenty of "day driving" truck jobs available they just take a bit more sussing out as with anything.You will not be able to go over via any of the PNP schemes,but you should be able to get a work permit for 2 years and apply for PR during this time.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dazygee
hi i moved to canada 2005 as a trucker and i went to a company called westcan in calgary the wages promised to us at the interview did not match up when we got here so i put in my extra hours to earn a wage. I used to clear around 1700 bucks a fortnight over a year around 40k clear i actually earned 61k but you have to pay towards health care, pension your taxes and we had a percentage taken each paycheck for our holiday pay so when we got too have our 2 weeks holiday that they give you each year you get some pay. you can get on with 1700 bucks but it dont go far in calgary but as for SK i know houses are cheaper out there but i have not lived there to comment. Is it a better life? yes people are great here and the country is stunning , a better lifestyle ? No not as a trucker you will spend as much as 18hours behind that wheel, sleep out in the truck more than you are at home and you get to drive in some of the worst driving conditions you can imagine (stay away from the mountains in the winter) what is wrong with trucking is they pay by the km and in the summer thats o.k in the winter it will slow you down some and you will be taking her steady down trans canada at 80k and then the mad truckers fly by at 120k and half an hour later you see them jack knifed in a ditch down the road
Dazygee,
I take my hat off to you that is exactly what I've been trying to get across since I became a member here at BE.
People "scoff" at me because I'm still in the UK but I can still "tell it as it is" and you need to prepare for the backlash because this is your first post and it's not what the majority of truckers posting here want to read.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:43 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

A good informative post Daygee, i can't really comment on the AB/SK/BC situation but yes, i am apprehensive about my first winter here. I don't look through posts and try to pick holes in them but i am intrigued by how you can spend 18 hours behind the wheel when legally you can only spend 13 (work 14 in a 16 hr window) This isn't mean't as criticism but did you run illegal? did westcan "force" you to run illegal? etc

Best wishes and drive safe

Andy

Originally Posted by dazygee
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

marg-den is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
A good informative post Daygee, i can't really comment on the AB/SK/BC situation but yes, i am apprehensive about my first winter here. I don't look through posts and try to pick holes in them but i am intrigued by how you can spend 18 hours behind the wheel when legally you can only spend 13 (work 14 in a 16 hr window) This isn't mean't as criticism but did you run illegal? did westcan "force" you to run illegal? etc

Best wishes and drive safe

Andy
good point andy needs pointing out i can see where you are going with this and i hope dazygee does not take it the wrong way its just that every fact we get weather good or bad really help

but i think we are all guillty of over doing the facts in life to seam better or worse i am guillty of it my self from time to time am i right in thinking you mean every legal hour driving and the rest of the hrs as thats home (in the truck) for the journey if so i get the point cheers
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you drive long haul anywhere in N.America the phrase "creative logging" will be a well used term.The fact that its a paper log system leaves it open to abuse and this has been well documented.
If you've been used to driving "by the book" in the UK get ready for a major change in your attitudes to running bent because it WILL be expected of you to get the job done.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

citicat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by marg-den
good point andy needs pointing out i can see where you are going with this and i hope dazygee does not take it the wrong way its just that every fact we get weather good or bad really help

but i think we are all guillty of over doing the facts in life to seam better or worse i am guillty of it my self from time to time am i right in thinking you mean every legal hour driving and the rest of the hrs as thats home (in the truck) for the journey if so i get the point cheers
I spoke to drivers whilst in canada and log books keep getting altered whilst on route say you get stuck in texas for a day then your load is running late you drive for 21 hrs solid then alter log book to fit unless you get stopped by the police and get fined $314 for log books being wrong,

Remember we are going back 20 yrs in trucking and if you have been sat 24hrs with no wheels turning would you run legal or drive illegal to get a wage if wheels dont turn your not earning $0.42cents a mile and you are routed the quickest way so you might do 2000 miles but company has routed you 1900 miles so you get 1900 miles X 0.42cents not 2000 miles at 0.42cents

Last edited by citicat; Aug 27th 2007 at 4:58 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

In the words of wise old Gremmie:

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHRISRICHES

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
We are supposed to be trying to keep this civil!!!!

It may well be blah blah blah blah but like it or lump it,

ITS THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Aug 29th 2007 at 9:07 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

robo65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by exyanke
For all you UK drivers coming over to work for Yanke, Let me tell you that they are not all they seem to be, as I have worked for Yanke for two years.
They will take anybody that can walk, then when you get into Canada they treat you like shit I know I have been there, I have been in Canada for 4 years now I am landed and free of Yanke but let me tell you it was very hard 2 years. When the guys are on the road driving Yanke want's nothing to do with their familys that are waiting at home even in the winter when it drops down to -30 the familys get no help from Yanke The Yanke staff that went to the UK I know them all Chris is a good guy and has done the walk like myself but remember he is being paid to tell you what you want to hear, plus they won't take a brit that is not happy back to the UK to sell their company. Ask yourselves why Yanke are back in the UK hiring again, well it is because over half of the brits that came over with me have left due to being treated like shit. The other to memebers of the Yanke hiring staff don't know their head from there ass's. And trust me running team for 12 month's is not fun in the winter over here drivers have been put into hospital, plus should a driver have a crash and is hurt they will not contact the drivers family untill they know that there load is safe, so it could be 12 hours before the family knows anything, I have been there also with Yanke, they really are a bunch of shitbags. And I will tell you all that not even half of you drivers coming over will be here in a year from now. Out of my group I am the only one left in Canada there was 25 in my group. All I am saying is before you all sell up and come over here make sure you know what you are doing. I was lucky as I came over on my own I had no family to care for just myself which made it easy for me. They also pay shit wages which you will find out when you get here it will be diffrent from what they have told you. Also if they had wage slips to show you just how much you can earn as a driver with Yanke, I am telling now they would have been printed up to look that way as when I was there I saw them doing this but was told to keep my mouth shut or I would lose my job. Just be careful guys thats all. Also do you know that you don't get payed for 8 weeks from when you start working with them, you will get about $1100 at the end of your training and that is it for about 8 weeks.

ill second that exyanke. i've been driving trucks all my life, but they are the worse company by far. I never even fulfilled my contract, i just pissed off after 4 months. They dont care a crap. I came over with 8 other guys, droped off at the colonial hotel, and that was that for 2 days. no one new what was going on. we had no help in finding a flat or anything, they just want to train you up and get you out asap, which is why we came, but we were always left in limbo. i was in the usa, and they never paid my wages!!. i had about $60 in my pocket, but i decided to get to a supermarket,grap enough food to get me back to saskatoon, the rest of the money went on toll roads. i dident even take the truck back to the yard, i left it parked in the wester develpment museum!!. I just told them to shov it up there ass.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHRISRICHES

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
More of the wise and less of the old you cheeky bugger
I just wonderd who wrote that kindesly report,doesn't say any where.
Fact or fiction. Don't suppose the reporter wants to dissclose his source

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.