Wages for Truckers

Old May 7th 2007, 10:52 am
Just Joined

chris001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

Hi to you all

I dont know if this will help but I made the move 6 months ago.
I work for Kindersley transport part of the siemens group in Saskatoon.
Expect wages of around $50,000 a year with 10 days on and 3 days at home.
Siemens will employ single manned drivers so you hubby doesn't have to double man if he doesn't want to.
WE have a lot of brits work for us and I am just back in the uk to sell my house as I went to prove it all first. Everything the company told me was true and they have been brilliant.
But make no mistake it is no picnic and they have bad companies in canada as well as in the uk.
Its not everyones cup of tea and end up returning.
The first 6 months are the worst with you not having a clue about what you are doing you have to find everything out ie doctors dentist etc.

Look at siemens web site as its pretty good with lots of info.
www.Siemenstransport.com

For us Canada is the place to be and would not consider coming back to the uk to live.

Good luck
Old May 7th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hi Chris,
Thanks for that, it will reassure me that i'm doing the right thing all being well.
Being away for ten days or more is nothing new for me as i used to drive down to Romania, Bulgaria and Turkey and often only had three days off max four,and to think that when i first started i used to do for £550 round trip .
I wouldnt get out of bed for that now.
Thanks anyway,

LOAFY
Old May 7th 2007, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi loafy

Just to give you a idea on inital costs we trained for 2 weeks first week was 5 theory test of mulipol choice on the computer and then the pre trip which is a walk round the truck pointing things out to the examiner then the air brake test which you test the air system you just have to get things in the right order then the drive and the test is easier than a uk test as the speeds are slower and you have more time to think about what you have to do.
You dont get paid for this and you have to pay for your own tests which are about a $100 in all +any retests. 2nd week you get 2 days induction which you get $75 a day then out with trainer still on $75 a day.when you get back you get your own truck and shadow someone going to same place and you can do this till you are ready to go on your own but now you are on full money. the traing is $500 which they deduct over 2 pay checks at $250 a time then your money is your own with no more deductions. Get a accountant as at the end of the first year Jan - Dec and they will get most of your tax back. I have had $1300 back for oct -dec last year.

When you are on time off you won't get a phone call asking could you just do? that time is yours. By uk standards the roads are long and straight also empty. If you need leave of absence its not a problem although you dont get paid.holiday pay starts after 1 years service. I also find not to try to pick and choose your work as this puts you in good standing.Our dispatcher just gives me the job and I go and do it and I am not short of work.

I have lots more to tell if you want but thats it for now Just to say I love it and cant wait to get back.
Cheers chris
Old May 7th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hi Chris,
Yanke never mentioned about the cost of the tests or who is to pay for them and so on but i will ask at the interview on the 31st of May. They also said to bring out with me at least $3000 but i think i will be looking to bring out at least $4000 just for the initial stages of training. ( is this enough )
My biggest concern is the cost of living out there, i know houses are cheaper and cars but as for groceries and household things it is hard to get a good comparison on some web sites as they dont always give the costs out just the products. If anyone could tell me what i'm looking at say for a typical weekly shop for a family of three would be great or approx at least.
The driving part for me is no prob as my last job was for valentina group and i had a wagon and drag (draw bar not a frame ) but the whole thing was just over 19Mtrs long, used to get fined all the time but they wanted the cubeage.
Used to have some great fun out on the continent but they mostly do there own transport now so my job was taken by Romanian transport company who did it for less money. Never mind what comes around as they say.
Thanks for all the info.

LOAFY
Old May 7th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi loafy

I dont know How yankees training system works or if they pay for everything,
Are you going out with family or on your own to start.hotel will cost about £90 a night for a room thats at the Days inn or a Super 8 unless the co has a arrangement with one.
Cost of food at the supermarket is about the same as here thats roughly at a 2 to 1 exchange but bear in mind if you keep a uk mortgage its hard to fund from canada as the exchange rate $-£ will cost about $2.50 to the £ to get it back.If family all go at once you can have accommodation waiting foryou if you use a good realtor like Laurie rose at Century 21 but Yankee may have there own arrangements.I know drivers who work for Yankee and the say they are good and others who slag them off.So as they say you pays your money.
Bear in mind also that they want teams and Canadian roads are bumpy so it is difficult to sleep while the truck is rolling until you get into the states when the roads are generally smooth.
Also bear in mind that all prices are plus tax add 14% to everything as it comes as a shock at the till if your not ready for it.Keep all your receipts over $50 and claim the tax back at the airport on you way back there is a little booth there and they will put it back on your card after about 2months.
Electricals are prob about the same as here mabe a bit cheaper but Walmart is pretty good.
Go round Walmart on Preston Ave just off Circle drive its big and will give you a idea. Dont just look at Yankee though get a interview with siemens if you want the number I can give you them also Bison have a good reputation.
I have heard some horrible stories about westcan bulk but I have no experience of them personally.Be prepared for everyone to be nice ,friendly and helpful trust me its quite a shock after this place.Low crime rate and all.
Sak classed as one of the cheapest provinces and the heath care is good once you get onto it.Thats why the taxes are higher.the rumour is that it is the next province to boom as it has a lot of oil still in the ground plus all the wheat prices are up because of bio diesel.Petrol is now up to 50p a litre and they are screaming blue murder.they should try here lol.

hope that helps plus you can pm me if you want
Cheers chris
Old May 8th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

silentwispers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loafy
Hi Chris,
Yanke never mentioned about the cost of the tests or who is to pay for them and so on but i will ask at the interview on the 31st of May. They also said to bring out with me at least $3000 but i think i will be looking to bring out at least $4000 just for the initial stages of training. ( is this enough )
My biggest concern is the cost of living out there, i know houses are cheaper and cars but as for groceries and household things it is hard to get a good comparison on some web sites as they dont always give the costs out just the products. If anyone could tell me what i'm looking at say for a typical weekly shop for a family of three would be great or approx at least.
The driving part for me is no prob as my last job was for valentina group and i had a wagon and drag (draw bar not a frame ) but the whole thing was just over 19Mtrs long, used to get fined all the time but they wanted the cubeage.
Used to have some great fun out on the continent but they mostly do there own transport now so my job was taken by Romanian transport company who did it for less money. Never mind what comes around as they say.
Thanks for all the info.

LOAFY
hi loafy
I'm going for a interview to in birmingham between 31 may 4june don't know what day tho, because i live in Germany but I'm English, (the best time to fly )
Any way Sara snow told me all are training is paid plus are hotel and the flight to Canada , what i understand we do a three week training course, hotel during this time is paid for us , and get paid 16 cad a hour for 8 hours a day , and are flight over is also paid BUT only for the driver not for the wife and kids with every thing been paid for us. MEANS that we must commit our selves to yanke for three years, good or bad in which way you look at it.
maybe we could talk on the tel before we go for the interview in birmingham, i don't know about you , this is about us and not them , we are making the move, its a case off make or break i must think about the wife and kids.
nice to hear from you Pete
Old May 8th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Pete,
Sent you a private message.
Thanks Loafy.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

crazy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yanke don't charge for the training you only pay for the tests which isn't much well thats what happened when we came and yes you get your hotel paid for you now that also didn't happen when we came so all in all yanke do look after you. As for a real estate person shop around I would stick with remax. I've heard good and bad about Laurie rose but can't comment as I have had no dealings with her so be careful and shop around
Old May 9th 2007, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Hi Crazy

Thanks for that info. Just one question though do yankee do a claw back for the training costs or do you have to sign for so long. Just being nosey lol.

The only thing I would say to the guys looking to go is if you are having the interveiw in england take a weeks holiday to saskatoon before you comit Just to convince yourselves you are doing the right thing.
I am sure you will love it But as I said before there are people who come back for all sorts of reasons.Bear in mind that, this is a lifestyle change not just another job. Good luck to you all and if I can help at all I will.
Cheers
Chris
Old May 9th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Chris and Crazy for those points.
I myself am looking for a complete lifestyle change and have seen some places on my travels that have appealed to me even in Eastern Europe which is catching up at a very quick rate.
Firstly its the job that i like doing so this is the main part for going to Canada, and then there is the people who from what dealings i have had are pretty much like us but a little quieter (correct me if i'm wrong thou) mainly oil people out in Romania, but sure there are people in the cities that are just like those we try and avoid. Then of course there is the country and the chance to see things that i would never have been able to here apart from holidays which is a different ball game altogether, you never actually see what it is really like.
I will be renting first off but haven't seen much for rent out there. I was given a web site addy for sk at home but they dont have much on there for rent and searches didn't turn up much either, anybody know any good ones i could use.
Anything else that comes along is a bonus for actually living there good and bad its all experiences thru life.
Thanks again LOAFY...
Old May 9th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh by the way Chris Yanke said it was a two year contract to me so i guess that covers there costs.
LOAFY...
Old May 9th 2007, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi loafy

Good luck to you mate I used to work with a driver who went to yankee and he says they have been very good and I always find if you play ball with them it comes back to you.
Accommodation will probably be sorted by them but if you find a realtor (estate agent) they would be able to sort out something decent for you. Ask the people at yankee as they will have there own contacts who they use all the time I should think. I personally use laurie rose at century 21 who i have found to be pretty good but some others say not. There are plenty more mate and they want your business.Look on www.mls.ca and all the realtors are listed there along with houses for sale with prices so it will give you an idea.
Warman and Martinsville are were the brits tend live but the prices are up because of it and its about 30 mins from town.Some call it Little england but it is expanding with some nice property there.

Cheers for now
Chris
Old May 9th 2007, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

crazy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, Chris there was no claw back for our training from Yankee and we signed a 3yr contract but it was the government that asked the companies to do this as far as I know and it is more to secure a job for the immigrants i.e the companies can't back out of it if you get my meaning. Loafy with your attitude I can't see you having a problem over here you seem to have thought about it very carefully oh and good luck on finding somewhere to rent they are few and far between.
Old May 10th 2007, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by loafy
Hi Chris,
Thanks for all the info.

LOAFY
Before you sign on with Yanke check out this months "trucking" mag and go to the letters page.
There is a letter there from a guy who's still in Canada but had trouble with a company that he does not name but as he mentions team driving with his wife it was more than likely Yanke as I don't know any other companies who recruit from the UK for team driving.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Before you sign on with Yanke check out this months "trucking" mag and go to the letters page.
There is a letter there from a guy who's still in Canada but had trouble with a company that he does not name but as he mentions team driving with his wife it was more than likely Yanke as I don't know any other companies who recruit from the UK for team driving.
Transx do team driving and quite a few others but cant remember off the top of my head, but there in Manitoba.
Thanks anyway Big Truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.