Wages for Truckers

Old May 24th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

Originally Posted by chris12
Hi all. Just found this site,reading the threads it is very informative and helpful. I have an interview on the 03/06/2007 in birmingham with Yankee "jenny webb", my family and I are feeling very anxcious and would appreciate as much help as possible. We have done as much research as the internet will let us and jenny has been great, we have a 17yr and 16yr old daughters who at the moment are very anti going especially the 16yr as she is scared of starting a new college, of which we have been told for her to do her beauty course is going to cost apprx $5.000 plus equipment ? our other daughter will be qualified nursery nurse before (hopefully) we come over to canada. We have been allocated Regina as our home base if all goes well.We have read all the comments re the wages and basically we were told the earnings would be around $50. to $60.000 per year, docuementation we have been sent states the contract is for a permanent 2years.The truck we be expected to move on average 20hrs per day I have also been told I will be out between 10 and 12 days at a time and will get 7 days off in 23.Any information will be greatfully recieved. Also can any one tell me what do the wives do as they are unable to work for 6 months. many thanks chris
Hi Chris,

Alot depends on what you did or do now as you must have read from these threads it can be difficult for families if there partner is home every night and then you change to a job where your away for sometimes a month at a time.
I would say what you have been told by Jenni Webb is about right give or take a percentage of truthfulness.
I to will be based in Regina as a double man team, you can earn good money but you have to put the miles in to get it and if you get the work, you can be laid up sometimes for two days waiting( wrong location wrong time).
You will def be away for 10 to 12 days possibly more and you should get around 3 to 4 days off.
12 Hrs shifts each driver and stops for breaks which is normally 22Hrs out of 24hrs so can be hard going.
Best person to speak to is crazy2005 her hubby works for them and has been there for three years plus and they are happy as a pig n shit.
As for the wives i dont know it will be hard in the beginning but their are plenty of brits there now but not sure if they mix alot, my wife has her dogs and is a breeder so she is busy with that and plans to carry it on in Canada.
Sorry i cant be any more help but any questions just ask.
Best of luck.

LOAFY...

PS look up koogar, he is driving for Kindersley and does a report of his antics on his blog on here.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:47 am
Just Joined

tripi71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loafy
Hey Karla,
Got that stuff thankyou very much, looks interesting some reading to do there.
Anyway well done and best of luck.

LOAFY...
Hi Loafy,
My hubbie and I both work for Yanke. We moved out here 2 1/2yrs ago.
If you want any questions answered would be happy to help. We drive team and are based out of Saskatoon. Yanke is a great company to work for so don't believe everything bad you read.
The best advise I can give anyone coming to Canada is to stop converting everything re wages into pounds.....you are paid in dollars and spend in dollars....if you wouldn't spend 50,000 pounds on a car don't spend $50,000 dollars on a car because in you head you will convert that back to 22500 pounds and you think...bargain!! ...but it's not when you are paid in dollars.
We arrived in Canada with only $1700, we now own an Ford SUV, a 5 bed house and have had several holidays.
Anyway if anyone wants any questions answered re immigration, driving shifts etc, would be happy to help.
tripi71
Old May 25th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Hi all. Just found this site,reading the threads it is very informative and helpful. I have an interview on the 03/06/2007 in birmingham with Yankee "jenny webb", my family and I are feeling very anxcious and would appreciate as much help as possible. We have done as much research as the internet will let us and jenny has been great, we have a 17yr and 16yr old daughters who at the moment are very anti going especially the 16yr as she is scared of starting a new college, of which we have been told for her to do her beauty course is going to cost apprx $5.000 plus equipment ? our other daughter will be qualified nursery nurse before (hopefully) we come over to canada. We have been allocated Regina as our home base if all goes well.We have read all the comments re the wages and basically we were told the earnings would be around $50. to $60.000 per year, docuementation we have been sent states the contract is for a permanent 2years.The truck we be expected to move on average 20hrs per day I have also been told I will be out between 10 and 12 days at a time and will get 7 days off in 23.Any information will be greatfully recieved. Also can any one tell me what do the wives do as they are unable to work for 6 months. many thanks chris
Hi Chris and welcome to the site.

You will find all you need to know on here. My husband and I went to Canada a couple of weeks back for a interviews and one was with Yanke (read my other threads for all the info) and they were great. The best person to speak to is CRAZY2005 as her husband works for Yanke. They live in Saskatoon but working for Yanke will be the same where ever your based.

LOAFY is also going for interviews next week and so is SILENTWISPERS so contact those guys. They are brillant and are really friendly and helpful.

Regina is a lovely city - alittle to big for me but your daughters will love it. Does your wife work now? Many wives are busy with the other wives as they are all in the same boat, ie husbands away, many have young children so that keeps them busy and a few just shop.

Well I wish you and your family all the luck in the world. Let us know how your interview goes.

Karla x x x x
Old May 25th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

"What do the wives do as they are unable to work for the first 6 months?", I would hazard a guess and say "they spend too much money!!!!!!"
As for going with Yanke,if you have never done teaming (double manning) before I would give it a miss.Think of the other half of your "team" being 25 stone,smokes 40/day,never takes a shower and farts like a rancid dog,now imagine driving 24/7 in a "tincan" with that!!!!!!!
There are too many other companies looking for UK drivers where you can drive solo and still earn around the same dough.
Take a look at Big Freight Systems,Westcan Bulk,H+R Transport,Bison Transport and avoid Siemens at all costs!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; May 25th 2007 at 12:12 pm.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

glp17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I to am new to this board although i have been following the posts for a couple weeks now and have found them very interesting reading,.
I to have an interveiw with Yanke on the 30th at 9am and am looking forward to it, in fact i can't wait and if all goes well we will be going asap.
It appears that we all have one thing in common and that is , a better quality of life for ourselves and our loved ones, as long as you want it bad enough anything can be acheived, as Tripi71 said 'the arrived with £1700 and have been there for two and a half years and have acheived what they want, (good on ya).
Everybody has a different outlook on things and on life, but it always comes down to, If you want it , go for it, because you're not going to be handed it on a plate.
we have just sold our house ( much to our amazement as it only went on sale tuesday) and are in the process of selling the furniture, as we're going to buy new. Maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves but we're in a different position to most as our children have all left home (i noticed this when the telephone bills went down) so their is just my wife and I to sort out and provide for. my wife has been use to me being away from home for weeks on endand although it's going to be a different country as loafy said there are enough expats out there now and it's about mixing.
I for one , know this is what i want and am going to get it.

I hope that everyone get's what they are striving for, and succeeds in all their interveiws.
Old May 25th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Big Truck
"What do the wives do as they are unable to work for the first 6 months?", I would hazard a guess and say "they spend too much money!!!!!!"
As for going with Yanke,if you have never done teaming (double manning) before I would give it a miss.Think of the other half of your "team" being 25 stone,smokes 40/day,never takes a shower and farts like a rancid dog,now imagine driving 24/7 in a "tincan" with that!!!!!!!
There are too many other companies looking for UK drivers where you can drive solo and still earn around the same dough.
Take a look at Big Freight Systems,Westcan Bulk,H+R Transport,Bison Transport and avoid Siemens at all costs!!!

I have to agree with Big Truck when he says about avoiding Siemens.
Old May 25th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Timbo6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Just a question, whats wrong with Siemens I'm due to start with them in Oct am I missing something?

Cheers

Timbo6
Old May 25th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tripi71
Hi Loafy,
My hubbie and I both work for Yanke. We moved out here 2 1/2yrs ago.
If you want any questions answered would be happy to help. We drive team and are based out of Saskatoon. Yanke is a great company to work for so don't believe everything bad you read.
The best advise I can give anyone coming to Canada is to stop converting everything re wages into pounds.....you are paid in dollars and spend in dollars....if you wouldn't spend 50,000 pounds on a car don't spend $50,000 dollars on a car because in you head you will convert that back to 22500 pounds and you think...bargain!! ...but it's not when you are paid in dollars.
We arrived in Canada with only $1700, we now own an Ford SUV, a 5 bed house and have had several holidays.
Anyway if anyone wants any questions answered re immigration, driving shifts etc, would be happy to help.
tripi71
Hi trip71,
Kewl kewl kewl, and thanks for reassuring me further to coming out for Yanke.
Thank you very much.
LOAFY...
Old May 25th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timbo6
Hi everyone

Just a question, whats wrong with Siemens I'm due to start with them in Oct am I missing something?

Cheers

Timbo6
Hi Timbo6,
Not sure some are fine there but there is some reference to them in these threads take a look.
LOAFY...
Old May 25th 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glp17
Hi everyone,

I to am new to this board although i have been following the posts for a couple weeks now and have found them very interesting reading,.
I to have an interveiw with Yanke on the 30th at 9am and am looking forward to it, in fact i can't wait and if all goes well we will be going asap.
It appears that we all have one thing in common and that is , a better quality of life for ourselves and our loved ones, as long as you want it bad enough anything can be acheived, as Tripi71 said 'the arrived with £1700 and have been there for two and a half years and have acheived what they want, (good on ya).
Everybody has a different outlook on things and on life, but it always comes down to, If you want it , go for it, because you're not going to be handed it on a plate.
we have just sold our house ( much to our amazement as it only went on sale tuesday) and are in the process of selling the furniture, as we're going to buy new. Maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves but we're in a different position to most as our children have all left home (i noticed this when the telephone bills went down) so their is just my wife and I to sort out and provide for. my wife has been use to me being away from home for weeks on endand although it's going to be a different country as loafy said there are enough expats out there now and it's about mixing.
I for one , know this is what i want and am going to get it.

I hope that everyone get's what they are striving for, and succeeds in all their interveiws.
Hi glp17,
Welcome to BE mate, yep i got my interview on Thursday 31st and i am looking forward to it. I agree you got to grasp at what you can when you can and make the best of it good or bad and hope for some happy medium and work on it.
Anyway welcome mate keep up with the posts on here there is so much info it will hurt your eyes reading it.
Best of luck
LOAFY...
Old May 25th 2007, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Timbo6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wages for Truckers

Hi Loafy

Cheers for that, Siemens is made up of many different companies and my friend is out in Saskatoon working for Edge part of the Siemens group and really enjoying himself.
Things need to be based on fact and not hearsay, perhaps Siemens are'nt families friendly, they were very helpful when I had my interview. Things are different for everyone a jobs a job, beats being shot at in Iraq, its a quality of life surely thats why; we are all moving to Canada.
Its been a very interesting thread.

Good luck to everyone

Timbo6
Old May 26th 2007, 6:56 am
Just Joined

scaniamad is an unknown quantity at this point

hello all, new to this so please bear with me.
I have read with interest what everybody has been saying and i think if you dont have a go you will be saying if only I had tryed that for the rest of your life. I have been thinking of canada for the last 18 months and now i think the time is right. I no this might sound silly but if you are double manning and you dont get on with your partner can you ask to change also has anybody got any info on a firm from winnipeg called len dubois I met there rep at truckfest and they sound very good but reading some of the threads on here i dont know
thanks dave
Old May 26th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Here's a question nobody has asked:
Does anybody know of a prospective truck driver from the UK who has EVER been turned down for a driving job with any of the Canadian trucking companies?
If anybody knows of that person I would be interested to know why they got rejected!!!
Old May 26th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scaniamad
hello all, new to this so please bear with me.
I have read with interest what everybody has been saying and i think if you dont have a go you will be saying if only I had tryed that for the rest of your life. I have been thinking of canada for the last 18 months and now i think the time is right. I no this might sound silly but if you are double manning and you dont get on with your partner can you ask to change also has anybody got any info on a firm from winnipeg called len dubois I met there rep at truckfest and they sound very good but reading some of the threads on here i dont know
thanks dave
Hi mate and welcome,

All i can tell you about the double man side is from what i have been told by Yanke and they say they will change any team driver if its not working out for them as soon as they could.
Dont know the company Len Dubois but know of a company called Transx who are in Winnipeg who have taken on UK drivers in the past and are part of the pnp program too.
All the best in your search.

LOAFY...
Old May 28th 2007, 4:53 am
Just Joined

tripi71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Here's a question nobody has asked:
Does anybody know of a prospective truck driver from the UK who has EVER been turned down for a driving job with any of the Canadian trucking companies?
If anybody knows of that person I would be interested to know why they got rejected!!!
Yes I know of one driver who was rejected because he failed a drug test on arrival in Canada!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.