Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Visitor visa to trucking lmia.

Visitor visa to trucking lmia.

Old Mar 14th 2016, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

morgank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor visa to trucking lmia.

Hi guys,a few months ago I applied for tourist visa/visitor visa for Canada I might be getting it next month,I'm looking to going to Canada and get an lmia or work permit as a truck driver as thats my proffesion.....I have a few questions which I'm hoping to get help on
1.Is it possible to change from visitor to worker
2.Which is the best province?
3.Has anyone on here done anything like that?
I was looking to getting employment before I visited but no one is currently hiring foreign truckers,but the ones we hear are hiring the likes of Canada cartage are not responding to emails.
Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Swingdoor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visitor visa to trucking lmia.

Originally Posted by morgank
Hi guys,a few months ago I applied for tourist visa/visitor visa for Canada I might be getting it next month,I'm looking to going to Canada and get an lmia or work permit as a truck driver as thats my proffesion.....I have a few questions which I'm hoping to get help on
1.Is it possible to change from visitor to worker
2.Which is the best province?
3.Has anyone on here done anything like that?
I was looking to getting employment before I visited but no one is currently hiring foreign truckers,but the ones we hear are hiring the likes of Canada cartage are not responding to emails.
Thanks
You can certainly come over on a visitor visa and talk to companies. But you definitely can't work on that visa as I'm sure you are aware. Your next step would be finding a company that has been granted LMIA's. This will be your stumbling block, as there isn't very many out there right now. As for best province, everyone is different, it's really down to what you want. But you don't really have a choice of province, and will just have to end up where the job is if you are lucky enough to get a job offer with an LMIA.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

After getting that job offer or rather lmia,do I have to leave Canada and enter again or I can change status INSIDE Canada.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by morgank
After getting that job offer or rather lmia,do I have to leave Canada and enter again or I can change status INSIDE Canada.
You can do either, but it's all down to what timeline you have. If you apply within Canada, I believe it takes about 3 months (from my experience). But if you leave the country ie. Down to states and come back at a land crossing, you will get it that day.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

That sounds good....but It certainly raises another question. ...how do I cross the USA border?I know its just crossing and reenter....or do I generally just tell them the truth which is I'm crossing to reapply for my status.....or rather whats the process of of re-entering from US boarder.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:09 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Swingdoor
You can do either, but it's all down to what timeline you have. If you apply within Canada, I believe it takes about 3 months (from my experience). But if you leave the country ie. Down to states and come back at a land crossing, you will get it that day.
1. No, the OP can't apply in Canada as a visitor, if eligible it would have to be at a border POE otherwise apply to an overseas office.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

When I did it, I just told them the truth, I didn't need to buy a visa to enter the states, and they let me go straight back to Canada. Then you tell the Canadian side what you want to do, then they will go through the process with you.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Hmmmmm. ...US boarder seems the best rather than going back to home country...its expensive to do all those trips....HOPEFULLY IT WORKS OUT AND I HOPE I GET THE VISITOR VISA SOONEST.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute

hi just wondering if you are in the uk or ireland and are young you could considder a 2 year working holiday visa , Thats the route i am going down then you can gain canadian class one lisence and apply for a job on level terms as a canadain citizen .

Apply for permant resedency after you have 6 months - year work experiance and job offer under the provinctial nomination program , every provance is slightly different but maratiomes and manitoba are the best bet for staying permantly
Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had drivers apply to me on a visitors visa who passed their CDL here, although i couldn't employ them (Not LMIA capable company) i know they managed to do it and remain in Canada.
You need to get your CDL, support yourself, medical insurance too
The down side is finding a company that has available LMIA's.
This kind of situation is one where the rule book says one thing but the reality is/was different !
With the downturn in the oil industry there is a temporary surplus of CDL drivers so getting an LMIA to drive a big truck may be an issue.