Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

URGENT-INTERVIEW WITH WESTCAN, ANY ADVICE...

URGENT-INTERVIEW WITH WESTCAN, ANY ADVICE...

Old Dec 1st 2012, 2:03 am
Just Joined

mkmicky1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: URGENT-INTERVIEW WITH WESTCAN, ANY ADVICE...

is there an average time that companies take to respond, when you send them your information, i got automated reply from one and a human responce from another says shes passing it on to recruter, 2 weeks ago, ive been told they can be slow but whats slow in canadian version of slow?
Old Dec 1st 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Ivoryhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

It can be frustrating when waiting for answers but that's just the way of life here. Once your here you will prefer it that way & sure you'll get here. I called or mailed every few weeks just to look keen.
Best of luck :-)
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Best advice I can give about Westcan is DON'T TRUST THEM. They messed me about proper a few years ago. Their driver's contact at Calgary was an English woman, the wife of a driver I think.
I had my flight booked for Tuesday and emailed her on the Friday evening asking for quick clarification about a few things.
I got no reply by Saturday afternoon so emailed her again. The response I got went something like "I will pass your questions of to the transport manager when I'M ready!"
Apparently she did not get paid for working Saturdays so could not be bothered to even forward my email...I pulled out of going to see them, I'll never work for a company that employs a wastrel like that!
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gazman
Best advice I can give about Westcan is DON'T TRUST THEM. They messed me about proper a few years ago. Their driver's contact at Calgary was an English woman, the wife of a driver I think.
I had my flight booked for Tuesday and emailed her on the Friday evening asking for quick clarification about a few things.
I got no reply by Saturday afternoon so emailed her again. The response I got went something like "I will pass your questions of to the transport manager when I'M ready!"
Apparently she did not get paid for working Saturdays so could not be bothered to even forward my email...I pulled out of going to see them, I'll never work for a company that employs a wastrel like that!
Very strange, you won't work for Westcan because they employ someone who might not want disturbing when they have a day off?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mickfly
Very strange, you won't work for Westcan because they employ someone who might not want disturbing when they have a day off?
I think you're missing the point completely. The woman was particularly rude towards me and 'deliberately unhelpful' at a time where I needed some simple clarification before I embarked on a 9 hour flight to see them. I find that very alarming, as she was the one appointed to work as a liaison official between the company and prospective new recruits. If you find nothing wrong with that, that's fine...go to work for them yourself.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:29 pm
Want to move to Canada

Steve_magpie is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking to visit Canada in the very near future in order to secure a driving job with one of the more widely known firms, westcan has been on my radar for a while, and reading some of the posts just reinforces my interest in them.
Being totally new to the immigrating side of things is there a step by step advice order anyone can give me, I have a class 1 uk licence with nearly 20 years experience, from bulk tippers to roro, flatbed to low loaders.
I'm 40 years old so assume I am going to struggle with completion from younger drivers ?
Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Steve
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_magpie
I am looking to visit Canada in the very near future in order to secure a driving job with one of the more widely known firms, westcan has been on my radar for a while, and reading some of the posts just reinforces my interest in them.
Being totally new to the immigrating side of things is there a step by step advice order anyone can give me, I have a class 1 uk licence with nearly 20 years experience, from bulk tippers to roro, flatbed to low loaders.
I'm 40 years old so assume I am going to struggle with completion from younger drivers ?
Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Steve
yeah they were on my radar too at one point, until I realised i was being messed about. If you've got 20 years experience then you're not a fool, so don't let them treat you like one...
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

lol younger drivers!!
not many of them about ,thats why they want us in canada .
at 40 you are a young driver.
jimmy.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:55 pm
Want to move to Canada

Lol I'm liking this even more, being classed as a younger driver
There is so much conflicting info out there as to the best ways to secure a job, my main concern is making myself attractive ( in a work sense) to potential employers, is there any straight forward advice with this regard ?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Apply online

http://www.westcanbulktransport.ca/index.php
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:10 pm
Want to move to Canada

Cheers KB33, I have applied with them on a few occasions, not heard back so assume I'm either not attractive to them or they have more than enough applicants and I didn't get a look in.
This is why I will be taking a trip to Canada to see if the face to face approach is more productive.
However I am hitting a wall with regards to the immigration rules, seems the most straight forward option is to get a sponsor willing to run the process with me ?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

find a company with Lmos ,then pick up 24mnth temporary work permit at airport
but as you coming over even better .
loads of jobs ,,you dont have to take the first one you are offered think what you like to do and whether you could do it until you get PR>? no point picking a flatdeck job if you like bulk .
jimmy
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

There is so much conflicting info out there as to the best ways to secure a job, my main concern is making myself attractive ( in a work sense) to potential employers, is there any straight forward advice with this regard ?
There is not really too much conflicting info. Tons of jobs there, if you have a pulse you are in with a chance. I was over 50 when I first went, and I may be back over when I'm 55!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Why would you want to 'make yourself more attractive'?...if you've got 20 years behind you and 20 years ahead of you surely you're a prime candidate for any sensible transport manager looking to recruit new drivers...and as Jimmy says you "dont have to take the first one you are offered"!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:56 pm
Want to move to Canada

@ Gazman
Cheers
As I'm new to this, I'm just lacking in confidence at the moment, not in my ability just in the process, I am sure once I have learnt a few things about the process I will be more confident that my experience will see me through.
Fingers crossed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.