Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

UK Large Goods LGV Licence exchange in Canada?

UK Large Goods LGV Licence exchange in Canada?

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all
Default UK Large Goods LGV Licence exchange in Canada?

Hi all,

I am in the UK and a LGV Truck drive, but I have not long been in the UK back long as I was in Australia for some 22 years.

My question is simple!

When I returned to the UK from Aussie, I went into the DVLA and they exchanged my Aussie licence which was Class 1 Large Goods to just a Car in the UK licence

If I went to any other EU country except UK / France or Germany, I could of exchanged my FULL Aussie to the equivelant in the EU and just used a Motel address and on arrival in the UK just a change of address.

Because of lack of understanding, I had to go through all my LGV testing again, cost a small packet, not to state time too.

Now, I have been offered a Job in Canada, BC

Whats the deal on a FULL LGV Large Goods Class 1 or C+E exchanging to Canada?

Or do I have to go through all the crap again

any info would assist, post here or PM me.

Thanks

Skippy (Bigwheels241)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Large Goods LGV Licence exchange in Canada?

You have to take Canada test plus airbrake endorsement,,,
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Which company in BC,thats where i am are you comming on a visa ???work permit
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You have to take Canada test plus airbrake endorsement,,,

That sucks

The row I had with the UK - DVLA was enough to make any driver go bananas but as long as it is not too much of a wait time frame it will be OK.

As in UK I was on a waiting list in Darlington for 102 days to sit my 1st Class c, then they said, I had to re-book again to get my C+E that took another 48 days wait.

All up, from arriving back in the UK, to obtaining all classes again took me 7 1/2 months

Thanks for the Info.

Skip....
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

One other question?

How long from walking into the Canadian testing place to getting my full licence again?

and idea?

Skip
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Which company in BC,thats where i am are you comming on a visa ???work permit
I have been offered a few positions, I have British Passport but also hold a perm work permit for Australia and USA as in Aussie I owned my own Semi pulling roadtrains in Northern Territory, and in 1996 I worked for Swift Transport in USA and my Visa's are for both are OK.

To Canada I am undecided which way to travel. Looking into that now. Wife loved it there, Vancouver Island is her 1st choice, I like any-place as long as they pay enough and the food is good

May also consider buying my own rig again and being a subbie.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
One other question?

How long from walking into the Canadian testing place to getting my full licence again?

and idea?

Skip
about 2 weeks,,,depennds on waiting list and places at driving school s
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

about 2 weeks,,,depennds on waiting list and places at driving school s
2 weeks, goes to show that the UK are just out to make $$$ and annoy you in red tape
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that any comany will insist on proof of at least 2 years on the road with a class 1 in the UK ?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
2 weeks, goes to show that the UK are just out to make $$$ and annoy you in red tape
If I was to go to "OZ" with my UK class 1 LGV and my USA class A CDL I don't think the relevant authorities there would let me exchange them for an Ozzie truck licence equivalent either!!!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Truck
If I was to go to "OZ" with my UK class 1 LGV and my USA class A CDL I don't think the relevant authorities there would let me exchange them for an Ozzie truck licence equivalent either!!!
That you are right on, they wouldnt exchange it.

However, if you visit the UK / DVLA web site they say.

You may exchange your licence List of Designated Countries: Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.
What they fail to state is that even if you hold in Australia a Federal Interstate Class 1 you will only get a car licence in the UK.

I challanged this 4 - years ago, they have since changed their web site to now state:

Conclusion
you will not be able to drive a lorry, minibus or bus in Great Britain (GB) if you have a full, valid driving licence from any other country

you can drive a car and or motorcycle, provided your licence remains, valid for up to 12 months from the day you become resident in GB

you will not be able to exchange your licence for a GB licence

if you wish to continue driving in GB after the 12 months is over you will need to get a GB provisional driving licence and sit a theory and practical driving test
I am not concerned as when in USA I obtained a CDL in Kentucky, which I just walked into the State Police and exchanged from Australia.

But on arrival in the UK, I was on the back foot due to the DVLA web site giving miss-leading information to those who read it and arrived here only to find out that they had to sit all the crap again.

Last edited by bigwheels241; Sep 30th 2007 at 8:05 pm. Reason: added more