Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Uk bus driver wanting to get truck licence

Uk bus driver wanting to get truck licence

Old Aug 12th 2018, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk bus driver wanting to get truck licence

Hi I am a bus driver in the UK and I'm looking to get a truck licence in canada .Does anyone know what school is best to get one ? Preferably in nova Scotia but it could be anywhere .Also when I get my licence would it be easy enough to get a job as I would be a new driver ? I am also looking at bus driving jobs temporary as I think I would enjoy truck driving more.Also what is the average salary you could earn ? I would like to stay in canada and not travel around America .
Old Aug 15th 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk bus driver wanting to get truck licence

Are you a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada ?
If not you need a LMIA/TWP but you also need experience driving Class1 to get the TWP.
Someone will be along to explain this bit a lot easier than I can.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
Are you a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada ?
If not you need a LMIA/TWP but you also need experience driving Class1 to get the TWP.
Someone will be along to explain this bit a lot easier than I can.
Neil, on another thread he says he has a visa.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 3:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Regarding the East Coast.

Average would be about $17.70 an hour. Plenty of companies happy to pay you less. Expect to work 60 - 70 hours a week. The concept of overtime, being paid extra for weekend shifts or nights is something most companies here cant get there head around. If the truck is off the road or there is a snow storm you sit home and earn $0 - its perfectly legal. The industry seems to exist on a live to work mentality. You will get 2 weeks paid holiday for the first 5 years you are with a company you get a 3rd week after that and a fourth after 10 years service. I dont know any companies here that will offer you more than that. On top of the piss poor allowance they seem to think seniority is a thing. So as the newbie you can take your pittance of vacation once everyone else has had dibs on it.

Dont quote me on this but I believe the courses are in the $10 grand range and last about 12 weeks. Amazingly enough they still cant drive after this! The sort of companies that will hire you as a newbie are the bottom feeders desperate for meat in the seat. You may drop lucky but its very unlikely because there are very few well paid jobs, even fewer that are sensible hours and no weekends. The locals have these sewn up. Nepotism is rife here. You might not even get a sniff at a plumb job because once that driver retires/ moves on etc his nephew or mates son is getting the job.

If you are serious about coming to Canada to drive Class 1 I would strongly recommend that you put yourself through it in the UK, get a year or two experience doing local delivery/ shunting - something that challenges you and involves lots of practice reversing etc and then come to Canada. You can then find a company here do a crash course to convert your skills and challenge the test.

I am not trying to put you off but you help you come here with your eyes open.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Aug 27th 2018 at 3:27 am.