British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   U.K. To Ontario Canada advice or information please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/u-k-ontario-canada-advice-information-please-897871/)

Yorkshiredaz Jun 11th 2017 7:58 am

U.K. To Ontario Canada advice or information please

Hi all
I'm new to this trucking section. I did post few days ago on the main Canadian forum but a lot of people replied more about my wife's job.

Basically we are a family of 4(2 n 4 yo children) we are looking at taking the express entry (fsw) with my wife as the lead applicant as she has degrees to enter Canada as PR. However my wife's career isn't going to be easy to get into(won't mention as don't want this thread to revolve around that)
I am a class 1 driver in uk(realise I have to retrain so any info on that too would be good), only 6 years experience but was hoping my job may be easier for me to get over my wife getting a job. I am willing to work but as I have young family not so keen on idea of long haul initially! So may smaller trucks(or van work) to tie us over? Short haul so I have at least the weekends at home? A lot to ask I know but anyone with advice I would be very grateful.

So I'm wondering what job situation is like especially in Ontario?
What potential earnings would be?
Companies to look out for and maybe email or try contact?
Retraining advice?
Good areas for truck jobs in Ontario?
Is it possible to actually move?
Could we survive on a truck wage until my wife got permanent job?

thanks in advance

neilg14 Jun 11th 2017 10:52 am

Re: U.K. To Ontario Canada advice or information please

Originally Posted by Yorkshiredaz (Post 12270347)
Hi all
I'm new to this trucking section. I did post few days ago on the main Canadian forum but a lot of people replied more about my wife's job.

Basically we are a family of 4(2 n 4 yo children) we are looking at taking the express entry (fsw) with my wife as the lead applicant as she has degrees to enter Canada as PR. However my wife's career isn't going to be easy to get into(won't mention as don't want this thread to revolve around that)
I am a class 1 driver in uk(realise I have to retrain so any info on that too would be good), only 6 years experience but was hoping my job may be easier for me to get over my wife getting a job. I am willing to work but as I have young family not so keen on idea of long haul initially! So may smaller trucks(or van work) to tie us over? Short haul so I have at least the weekends at home? A lot to ask I know but anyone with advice I would be very grateful.

So I'm wondering what job situation is like especially in Ontario?
What potential earnings would be?
Companies to look out for and maybe email or try contact?
Retraining advice?
Good areas for truck jobs in Ontario?
Is it possible to actually move?
Could we survive on a truck wage until my wife got permanent job?

thanks in advance

Hi, the reason your last post concentrated on your wife's job is because if you want to go to Ontario as a truck driver, you cannot get PR there through that job whereas if you could get in on EE, you will be PR already and you could go for any trucking job ie. city, short haul etc.
Also if you are lucky enough to find a company with LMIA's, which are rarer than rocking horse shit at the moment, you will have to go long haul which will mean a lot of time away and that applies to all Provinces.
To re-take your test costs in the region of $2,000 for medical, air brake, training and test.

Yorkshiredaz Jun 11th 2017 11:03 am

So the only job I could possibly get is just long haul?

neilg14 Jun 11th 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkshiredaz (Post 12270437)
So the only job I could possibly get is just long haul?

Until you get PR, yes, and that applies to all Provinces.
Are you or your missus under 31yo by any chance ?

Yorkshiredaz Jun 11th 2017 12:06 pm

I was under the impression we get PR through the express entry?(which we are doing through my wife's qualifications which is depending on our IELTS test. Doable without a job offer)
My wife is 29(30 this year) I am 32(33 this year)

neilg14 Jun 11th 2017 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkshiredaz (Post 12270474)
I was under the impression we get PR through the express entry?(which we are doing through my wife's qualifications which is depending on our IELTS test. Doable without a job offer)
My wife is 29(30 this year) I am 32(33 this year)

Yes, like I said, if you get PR through EE then it's no problem you getting a job doing what you want.
If you don't get through on EE the there is another avenue now your wife is 29yo.
Have a look on CIC website at the IEC visa.
Christmasoompa will see this post and can explain the IEC and how you go about that.