TWP long haul truckers

Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP long haul truckers

I've known quite a few drivers come over and "wing-it". If you look like a truck-driver then you have done the hard part. The standard of truck-driver is very low at the bottom. It doesn't take much to get above the worst at some companies. Good common-sense and a good command of the English language are essential. You get a weeks training at most companies so that helps.
I know a guy who only did 3 months agency work before he came. Another only had a license because he was a fitter. Others only had Army experience.
The hard part is getting a job offer with a LMO.
Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon
I've known quite a few drivers come over and "wing-it". If you look like a truck-driver then you have done the hard part. The standard of truck-driver is very low at the bottom. It doesn't take much to get above the worst at some companies. Good common-sense and a good command of the English language are essential. You get a weeks training at most companies so that helps.
I know a guy who only did 3 months agency work before he came. Another only had a license because he was a fitter. Others only had Army experience.
The hard part is getting a job offer with a LMO.
Good luck.
Sounds encouraging. Do most companies get their LMOs, and then look for employees? Or are there some that will apply after they've offered the job?
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Proof of funds is only needed for PR apps, not TWP's. You'll still need about the amount CIC suggest as their proof of funds though just to get set up in Canada, so use that as a guide anyway.

As for proof you'll leave Canada, it would be unusual for a British citizen to be refused a TWP on that basis. Several years of working in immigration and being a mod on this forum, and I've never heard of it!

"What requirements must I meet to obtain a work permit?

You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay. You must also:

satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your employment,
show that you have enough money during your stay in Canada to take care of yourself and your family members and to return home,
be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate),
not be a danger to the security of Canada,
be in good health and complete a medical examination, if required,
not intend to engage in employment with an employer on the List of Ineligible Employers found on CIC’s website,
not have worked in Canada for one or more periods totalling four years after April 1, 2011 (with certain exceptions),
provide any additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility."

Found this on the CIC website.
Why I'm double checking is, if this all falls into place, my partner would probably go ahead without us, so if we sold the house, the money which we would use to set up probably wouldn't be there when he applying for TWP. There would probably be enough for him to stay in a motel or something similar and live on for a couple of months.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy1807
Why I'm double checking is, if this all falls into place, my partner would probably go ahead without us, so if we sold the house, the money which we would use to set up probably wouldn't be there when he applying for TWP. There would probably be enough for him to stay in a motel or something similar and live on for a couple of months.
It might be better to wait to sell your house until you have PR - on a TWP you're tied to that employer, and we've seen many people on the forum be made redundant whilst on a TWP and have to return to the UK. Selling until you've got the security of PR may not be ideal unless you really can't avoid it.

Plus it would then mean that if he is asked about returning to the UK, he's got a tie there to show.

HTH.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

It might be better to wait to sell your house until you have PR - on a TWP you're tied to that employer, and we've seen many people on the forum be made redundant whilst on a TWP and have to return to the UK. Selling until you've got the security of PR may not be ideal unless you really can't avoid it.

Plus it would then mean that if he is asked about returning to the UK, he's got a tie there to show.

HTH.
That is quite sensible really when put like that. But then our funds will be greatly reduced. So you say that you don't need proof of funds and you work in immigration, yet the CIC site days you do but doesn't elaborate? Help haha.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That is quite sensible really when put like that. But then our funds will be greatly reduced. So you say that you don't need proof of funds and you work in immigration, yet the CIC site days you do but doesn't elaborate? Help haha.
I think you're getting confused (or maybe just using the wrong wording). 'Proof of Funds' is a specific amount that CIC want to see when applying for PR, but that's not mentioned anywhere in relation to a TWP. The CIC website does say the following on their page about Proof of Funds however: -

"You do not have to show that you have these funds if:

you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada........"

The bit you've quoted doesn't say Proof of Funds is required, it just says you must satisfy an officer that you have enough to support yourself, there's no set amount needed.

The bit you're quoting is for those applying via the visa office, but I assume you wouldn't do that anyway? As long as your husband can show he's got some funds in his bank account when he gets his TWP at POE (if he's asked, it's very rare to be), then he'll be fine. There is no actual 'Proof of Funds' required, i.e. no minimum amount he must have in his possession.

I thought this thread might be useful to give you an idea of how much it'll cost you to set up life in Canada, and things that you may not be budgeting for (i.e. banking charges, utility deposits, etc). http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

I think you're getting confused (or maybe just using the wrong wording). 'Proof of Funds' is a specific amount that CIC want to see when applying for PR, but that's not mentioned anywhere in relation to a TWP. The CIC website does say the following on their page about Proof of Funds however: -

"You do not have to show that you have these funds if:

you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada........"

The bit you've quoted doesn't say Proof of Funds is required, it just says you must satisfy an officer that you have enough to support yourself, there's no set amount needed.

The bit you're quoting is for those applying via the visa office, but I assume you wouldn't do that anyway? As long as your husband can show he's got some funds in his bank account when he gets his TWP at POE (if he's asked, it's very rare to be), then he'll be fine. There is no actual 'Proof of Funds' required, i.e. no minimum amount he must have in his possession.

I thought this thread might be useful to give you an idea of how much it'll cost you to set up life in Canada, and things that you may not be budgeting for (i.e. banking charges, utility deposits, etc). http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH.
I think it was me reading it wrong lol! Get it now.
Thanks so much for all your help, no doubt it won't be the last your hear from me lol
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

For a company to be able to bring in foreign workers using a LMO; they must first show that they have a truck without a driver, work for that truck to do and that they have advertised for a driver to drive that truck.

When the Human Resource people come to the conclusion that the company needs to bring in a foreign worker to fill the vacancy; they issue the LMO.

That's why it is called "Labour Market Opinion". In the opinion of the people studying the labour market; the company needs to import a driver. Some big companies apply for LMOs and then go looking for drivers. Some small companies find a good driver and then get a LMO especially for him.

When I started at Big Freight; I was one of 5 names on the same LMO. It was faxed to me and I exchanged it for a 1 year work permit at the airport on arrival in Canada. At Flying Eagle, were I am now, the company had to put some adverts in the local press before they were able to get LMOs for Brit drivers.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

For a company to be able to bring in foreign workers using a LMO; they must first show that they have a truck without a driver, work for that truck to do and that they have advertised for a driver to drive that truck.

When the Human Resource people come to the conclusion that the company needs to bring in a foreign worker to fill the vacancy; they issue the LMO.

That's why it is called "Labour Market Opinion". In the opinion of the people studying the labour market; the company needs to import a driver. Some big companies apply for LMOs and then go looking for drivers. Some small companies find a good driver and then get a LMO especially for him.

When I started at Big Freight; I was one of 5 names on the same LMO. It was faxed to me and I exchanged it for a 1 year work permit at the airport on arrival in Canada. At Flying Eagle, were I am now, the company had to put some adverts in the local press before they were able to get LMOs for Brit drivers.
Thanks for the info.

Have you managed to swap employers on your TWP?
Are you applying for PR?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.

Have you managed to swap employers on your TWP?
Are you applying for PR?
I was at Big Freight for nearly 5 years, I got my PR after 2 years. I've been at Flying Eagle for 3 years. They expanded and took on a lot of Brit drivers when I first started but have cut back the fleet in the last year.

The best advice I can give; is to come over for a couple of weeks and have a good look round.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I was at Big Freight for nearly 5 years, I got my PR after 2 years. I've been at Flying Eagle for 3 years. They expanded and took on a lot of Brit drivers when I first started but have cut back the fleet in the last year.

The best advice I can give; is to come over for a couple of weeks and have a good look round.
I thought FET were closing up due to the Clarences divorce,,, also seen about 13 of your trailers being returned
Old Jun 7th 2014, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

No Gremmie, we're all pulling Payne trailers now.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

No Gremmie, we're all pulling Payne trailers now.
So FET has gone down the pan then.....or has payne taken you over
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

FET are still paying my wages and I'm still driving their truck, it just has Payne on the door and Payne despatch me with their trailers.
Attached Thumbnails TWP long haul truckers-pay06ftmyers.jpg  

Last edited by Lou Skannon; Jun 8th 2014 at 3:59 am.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

FET are still paying my wages and I'm still driving their truck, it just has Payne on the door and Payne despatch me with their trailers.
It sounds like an emergency action to keep the drivers employed for the time being,,, i think the writing is on the wall Lou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.