British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Trucking in Lethbridge Alberta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/trucking-lethbridge-alberta-532872/)

allicat001 Apr 28th 2008 8:09 pm

Trucking in Lethbridge Alberta

Hi guys

Sorry I'm rather new to the forum so this might have been covered before.

My OH is the driver UK qualified so will have to resit test when we get there.

But my question, is there anybody here who lives and works in Lethbridge?

We have been asked for availability for an interview with Fritolay has any one any experieces with them also any recomendations as to best company to apply to.

Obviously looking for best money in the area my OH has 10 years experience so no rookie well not in UK anyway.

Thanks in advance Alli

bigwheels241 Apr 28th 2008 11:14 pm

Re: Trucking in Lethbridge Alberta

Originally Posted by allicat001 (Post 6279153)
Hi guys

We have been asked for availability for an interview with Fritolay has any one any experieces with them also any recomendations as to best company to apply to.

Obviously looking for best money in the area my OH has 10 years experience so no rookie well not in UK anyway.

Thanks in advance Alli

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Lethbridge

allicat001 Apr 29th 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 6280295)

Thanks I have read that also the trunking in Canada section of the WIKI pluss loads more.

I just wanted to get some personal opinions and experiences.

Thanks for the reply though bigwheels

jasper62 Apr 30th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by allicat001 (Post 6279153)
Hi guys

Thanks in advance Alli

hi alicat001 i have looked at fritolays website but cant find anything for truck drivers ,do you mind me asking where and what job the oh has been offered, or have you gone through an agency. thanks jasper

allicat001 May 1st 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by jasper62 (Post 6287873)
hi alicat001 i have looked at fritolays website but cant find anything for truck drivers ,do you mind me asking where and what job the oh has been offered, or have you gone through an agency. thanks jasper

Hi I havent looked on their website I was reffered to the company through a friend on here who gave me a contact name and details.

It was a case of a friend of a friend.

jasper62 May 2nd 2008 9:20 am

Originally Posted by allicat001 (Post 6295732)
Hi I havent looked on their website I was reffered to the company through a friend on here who gave me a contact name and details.

It was a case of a friend of a friend.

oh please can i be your friend aswell then ha"ha":):thumbsup:

shedlock2000 Nov 14th 2008 10:27 am

i can help you with some info, if your still curious?

dinger24 Nov 14th 2008 10:31 am

Who is it your working for in Lethbridge?

shedlock2000 Nov 14th 2008 10:36 am

I currently work for H and R transport, but there are a few other companies in lethbridge and close by. I am not realy one of those H and R yes men either.... much to their dismay! So i can and do advise people objectivly, if H and R is your choice.

dinger24 Nov 14th 2008 10:50 am

To be honest I havent made any choices other than I am coming to Canada next Sept (hopefully).
At this time I am in the Army until next Sept. I have been pondering on NS, possibly PEI and perhaps Saskatoon.
However I have been to Lethbridge a few times and a friend of mine recently married a girl from just outside, Coaltown or something. So I kinda have an insight.
Would be interested to hear your views?

shedlock2000 Nov 14th 2008 11:07 am

Yeah dude, what do you want to know? ....that would be coaldale ( a rare place indeed!)

H and R not really a bad place, depends if your face fits though, and how hard you can work to earn dollars, there a messed up company like all in Canada, no one here is logical, or straight forward. They are very unsympathetic to stress, or home time, or complaints, but if you work hard and get in the jist of things, you can earn very good money. It does cost a lot to live here though. Alberta is very costly at the moment, but im sure it will bust sooner as the increase cannot be supported by its population. Sask and PEI are much cheaper. Sask has a population of 999% farmers, and 1% tim hortons workers, and thats about it, though they do have 999% of the worlds population of Mozis too!! Its not a bad place, but it is flat, and featureless, it suffers from biting winters, and baking summers, it has lots of work, but no money. the properties are 1980 prefabs (as what we would call them) but htis is indicative of all of Canada.

PEI, is very ppoor, as the mills have all gone out of buissness and the young guys have all rushed off to the oil fields of alberta, as they nolonger want to fish or farm. there are lots of cheap properties for sale, but no work, and what work there is is hard, and labour intensive, and very pooorly paid. There are not too many trucking jobs in the area, and those there are, ship out to western canada back to the maritimes.

I personally dont like sask or manitoba (but it is just personal) where as the maritimes are very very pretty. (they do get the cold and bad rainy snowy weather though)

ALberta is brown. It suffers from medeocre winters and summers and southern alberta is ravaged by fierce winds, from the chinook that blesses us with milder climates. There are many trucking companies, and ther are other jobs too, much work, and good pay, but you do have to work for it. H and R are one company that supports PNP sponsorship program, but there are others. H and R are widly accepted by ex pats to be the best of a bad bunch. But they do have many faults. Some people come but cant handle the backwards wayt they doo things. They are a family buisness and can become afriendly place to work after a couple of years.

The work is hard, and takes a lot of aclimatising too, and if you need to be home, your money suffers. If you sdont mind being away your family suffers. It is not as green as people make it ut to be, however it is generally accepted by most to be better than the UK!

So, if theres anything elce you would like to know, just ask me for specifics....

burton bunch Nov 14th 2008 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by shedlock2000 (Post 6972531)
I but there are a few other companies in lethbridge and close by.

One company which I know people have had problems with is called something like Hewsons ;)

dinger24 Nov 14th 2008 8:05 pm

Shedlock
Thanks even though it was a quick general reply it has cleared up a lot of my questions and I think, although still early for me I will give Alberta a bit more consideration. I have read about the mozzies in Sas, and I have also heard it is mainly farming and very flat. As for NS and PEI I have heard that employment is harder there. I have been to Med Hat and the army base up there a few times so I have a good idea of the area.
It is fantastic that you and others on here give your views it is a bit of guidance for us still trying to get out there.
Thanks

shedlock2000 Nov 14th 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dinger24 (Post 6973998)
Shedlock
Thanks even though it was a quick general reply it has cleared up a lot of my questions and I think, although still early for me I will give Alberta a bit more consideration. I have read about the mozzies in Sas, and I have also heard it is mainly farming and very flat. As for NS and PEI I have heard that employment is harder there. I have been to Med Hat and the army base up there a few times so I have a good idea of the area.
It is fantastic that you and others on here give your views it is a bit of guidance for us still trying to get out there.
Thanks

I aint no gospel on the matter, but i try to help if i can. Not sure about hewsons. Not heard of them ( but im not an authority!) I think most people here will try to help, ex pats usually stick together, im not sure why, cos we dont when we were all back home!

dinger24 Nov 14th 2008 8:27 pm

Yes I know what you mean, when we are away from home we stick together, strange!
So is $1000 achievable, in that how long are you away and how long are you home?
We intend to come over, me and the wife, the kids are remaining in the UK, oldest is married and the youngest is at college, so I am a bit concerned that the wee wifey will be a bit left out, which will make it a bit harder for her to settle. I think my youngest will come over in a couple of years, once she has completed her courses etc. The married one well she is obviously independent of us, but I suspect she and her husband would consider coming over at some time.