Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Trucking in Canada, pay per hour or per mile?

Trucking in Canada, pay per hour or per mile?

Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice
Default Re: Trucking in Canada, pay per hour or per mile?

I wasn't criticizing , Merely pointing out that most cant just up sticks and go home as easy as you make it sound , And there is enough information out there now that theres no excuse not to do as much research as possible , Therefore avoiding the companies you know just wont suit you , I knew to avoid H&R back in early 2007 , Mainly because of the type of work they do (reefers ) and the amount of time spent away from home , It was always going to be a disaster for me.

I was talking to a H&R Canadian driver in Aldersyde truck stop last Friday (the one up the road from the kill plant ) And he said the job suited him , no complaints , But as already said " its horses for courses "
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gazman
Dispatched??? ...
Given a job / run to do . WORK !
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by garvs11
I see i was wondering, what i heard from yourself etc they seem to look after drivers well.I kinda liked the runs you used to do especially down to the Carolinas being away was what i wanted (US).The only thing that might do my head in would be the running with Pilot cars and permits wide load etc i kinda like doing my own thing if you know what i mean and not being tied to regulations of those sort of loads.Maybe food for thought in the Future you never know
I genuinely loved it there and the wife will tell you the same. Great runs with good miles, interesting loads, great lads, drivers and office.
The pilot cars and oversize permits are not too bad, and no driving at night with oversize on.
I banked plenty in one year, so no complaints from me about money BUT we didn't have a property to service in Canada, just occasional motel bills.
As you say... you never know!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
I wasn't criticizing , Merely pointing out that most cant just up sticks and go home as easy as you make it sound , And there is enough information out there now that theres no excuse not to do as much research as possible , Therefore avoiding the companies you know just wont suit you , I knew to avoid H&R back in early 2007 , Mainly because of the type of work they do (reefers ) and the amount of time spent away from home , It was always going to be a disaster for me.

I was talking to a H&R Canadian driver in Aldersyde truck stop last Friday (the one up the road from the kill plant ) And he said the job suited him , no complaints , But as already said " its horses for courses "
Yep, horses for courses, but I'm still seeing info from H&R drivers which I won't repeat here... and it seems it's still no great shakes for some of them.

I know you weren't criticising mate, I probably just made a clumsy reply.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Just to add a bit of Balance for the East....I live in Moncton NB and have been here 3 years...I run all over US and CA. I av 6 - 10 days out with some shorter triangle runs and some longer coast to coast. It all really depends on what you want and why you are coming here. I agree the triangle is a pain if doing NY/NJ but Boston - TO - NB is easy enough.
Yes the money is better out West however if you (like me) are arriving with very little money in your pocket (ie no house to sell in the UK just few k savings) then owning a decent house in the west might be difficult. My wages are around 60k Mrs making roughly 25k... a brand new 3 bed semi will cost you around 150k - 160k here so VERY affordable. Now do the same numbers for equivalent jobs in the west and the ratio will almost certainly be more than 2:1. Its very easy to lose sight of what we worked for in the UK. I worked in Southampton on nights earning £28k - 3 bed house £200k - so roughly 7:1. I know blokes back home who cant get jobs paying more than 7 quid an hour so easy to get snobby about the money over here.

Is the East paradise?? no, But then look at the crime stats for Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg -parts of them not paradise either. Can you have a better life than in the UK ??? Of course - if its what you want....the grass isnt always greener...just a different shade - its whether you like different.

You have to be clear about what you want and why you are coming here. Otherwise its likely to end in tears.
Don't start quoting crime stats unless you want to derail the thread into chaos . In the three cities mentioned 90% of crime is centred in very localized areas inhabited by ? I'll let you guess Don't want crime then stay out of said places,simple.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

My point was more that despite the higher wages there are downsides to living in Western cities - ie higher house prices and higher crime rates. Just adding a bit of Balance to those who would have you believe that the west is the end of the rainbow and the east is the dark side
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
Gazman, as a single man (if you live in the truck) you should do OK, AS LONG AS YOU GET DISPATCHED!
You do spout some shite MF, who on earth thinks that a move on in life is to live in a truck ? Yes , I know you did but after Bradford
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
You do spout some shite MF, who on earth thinks that a move on in life is to live in a truck ? Yes , I know you did but after Bradford
Exactly, it was the height of luxury
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Actually I could handle living in a truck short term without a problem, in fact I would much prefer that than paying rent for a property I rarely get to lay my head down in. About 10 years ago I was living on the outskirts of Dublin and had to move out of my cottage, but because the price of rent had gone through the roof at the time, I decided to live out of my old Ford Tranny campervan for a while until things settled a bit. It's amazing how you can live in a small space once you put your mind to it . I was one of the lucky ones though, there were eastern-europeans flooding into the country who were literally living in tents in the middle of roundabouts!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

garvs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't use " fortnight " here , they don't know what it means ,seriously.

Yes is the answer , but you're looking in the wrong part of the country for decent paying work ,Western Canada is the place for coin and lifestyle .
Is the lifestyle different in western Canada to eastern ??? Or do you basically mean to have a better lifestyle you have to have more money.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bit tight on time for a full response but you don't see many cowboys in New Brunswick , or fishermen on the Prairies . Totally different worlds but having cash helps in both, although easier to have if you're a cowboy .
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Dispatched??? what's that

Most companies here expect a modicum of intelligence..... you just failed
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Dispatched??? what's that
aka shafted by a some small minded power hungry individual,who can't distinguish between New England and New Mexico let alone look at a map , who works from 9 til 4 mon thru fri , barking impossible routes through the qualcomm expecting you to run 24/7 .
Would that be about right Gremmie ?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gremmie

Old Jan 8th 2013, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Lucky for you that the internet doesn't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.