British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Trucking In America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/trucking-america-692950/)

bd85uk Nov 9th 2010 7:32 pm

Trucking In America

Was there a time when America did a similar scheme to what Canada does? And are they likely to do it again in the future. (if they did).

Just curious really. I remember my dad mentioning something about it when I was younger. I think he saw it advertised in the sun or something like that.

Like I said, just interested.

Thanks

DAVIE_MAC Nov 9th 2010 9:34 pm

Re: Trucking In America

Originally Posted by bd85uk (Post 8971751)
Was there a time when America did a similar scheme to what Canada does? And are they likely to do it again in the future. (if they did).

Just curious really. I remember my dad mentioning something about it when I was younger. I think he saw it advertised in the sun or something like that.

Thanks

I think the saying mate would be:

When hell freezes over.. :blink:

Couldn't see the government ever going for that or the Teamsters..

Big Truck Nov 10th 2010 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by bd85uk (Post 8971751)

Thanks

If I remember right that scheme was a disaster!!:(

Most of the UK/Irish truck drivers were brought over by the couple of big USA trucking companies involved on a 3 month vacation visa and after they had done the CDL/training the companies tried to "cajole" the American imigration authorities into giving them a perm visa, it didn't wash!!!!:thumbdown:

Manc Nov 10th 2010 3:27 pm

very few companies are teamsters nowadays, not that it matters, with unemployment at 10%+ it's not happening, nor did it ever really happen.

rivit Nov 14th 2010 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 8973200)
If I remember right that scheme was a disaster!!:(

Most of the UK/Irish truck drivers were brought over by the couple of big USA trucking companies involved on a 3 month vacation visa and after they had done the CDL/training the companies tried to "cajole" the American imigration authorities into giving them a perm visa, it didn't wash!!!!:thumbdown:

One of them was Schneider National when i worked for them. I met an Irish lad (if you could call it a meeting) at a truck stop on N Dakota, all he had time to say was that he was here for a couple of months on some program run by Schnieder then he was running back to his truck and gone. Mind you he was wearing sandals and it was winter.
In the years after i never met any other Irish drivers so don't think many stayed on.
There was a letter published in one of the UK truck mags by a Brit who did this with another US trucking firm warning it was not so easy.

Big Truck Nov 14th 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rivit (Post 8981272)
One of them was Schneider National when i worked for them. I met an Irish lad (if you could call it a meeting) at a truck stop on N Dakota, all he had time to say was that he was here for a couple of months on some program run by Schnieder then he was running back to his truck and gone. Mind you he was wearing sandals and it was winter.
In the years after i never met any other Irish drivers so don't think many stayed on.
There was a letter published in one of the UK truck mags by a Brit who did this with another US trucking firm warning it was not so easy.

Your right.:thumbup:

I think the other one was MS Carriers?:confused:

jamesmc Nov 14th 2010 8:16 pm

yes, MS carriers ,thats what i was racking my brain over.must have been mid 90s.:thumbup:

coritani Nov 17th 2010 1:48 pm

I can remember that article in one of the trucking mags about MS Carriers. Must have been mid to late 90s. I have heared that there are supposed to be some New Zealand drivers in the US doing something similar to what we do in Canada? Never seen any though.