Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Truck driving revision Books

Truck driving revision Books

Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:12 am
Just Joined

serio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck driving revision Books

What are the must read books to revise for the CDL test??????
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck driving revision Books

If you go to the driving licence center for your area they have a telephone directory sized CDL question and answer book with everything you need to know in various sections ....... it was free when I went in
Old Aug 19th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by serio
What are the must read books to revise for the CDL test??????
My driving test was:

Explain the pre-trip inspection and what I'd look for
Back onto a loading bay
Drive a small circuit for about 20 mins
Park back in the driving test centre.

Pass....

The only thing you'll have to worry about over here is the air brake test but even that is not rocket science and there is ref material on here to help you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489605
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
My driving test was:

Back onto a loading bay

Pass....

The only thing you'll have to worry about over here is the air brake test but even that is not rocket science and there is ref material on here to help you:

Did you have to take a theory test? I've down-loaded the PEI drivers manual from the provincial government website to help with this.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

My driving test was:

Back onto a loading bay

Pass....

I was caught out on my test by a pre-trip inspection question from the examiner

As we did the walk around before the test he asked "How far from the ground should the slider hoses under the trailer be ?"

I had not seen any reference to that in anything I had read ? .... I took a guess at 18 inches

"Thats right" he said ...... lucky guess
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peterlee_flyer
Did you have to take a theory test? I've down-loaded the PEI drivers manual from the provincial government website to help with this.
No theory test.

You have to pass the Air Brakes test before you can book at take the driving test.

If you get hold of the air brake manual and study it before arriving then you would be able to book the air brakes test as soon as you arrive or get Mike to do it for you from here. As long as you read the book you'll have no problems whatsoever.

After passing the air brakes test you can book your driving test. This depends on how confident you are with the driving over here and the trucks and the difference. If you are totaly confident and had some time behind the wheel then book it as soon as you pass your air brakes that way you can be out on the road with your trainer driver ASAP which in turn means you will get into your own truck ASAP which in turn means you start earning proper wages......... presuming you pass the driving test that is.........only 1 person I know of has failed it so far.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I was caught out on my test by a pre-trip inspection question from the examiner

As we did the walk around before the test he asked "How far from the ground should the slider hoses under the trailer be ?"

I had not seen any reference to that in anything I had read ? .... I took a guess at 18 inches

"Thats right" he said ...... lucky guess
Me neither..... every day's a school day..
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Except Sundays!
They are Sunday School days and you get to wear your best shoes and mum always licks her fingers and wipes your head and hair, to make your hair stick down and it smells!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

No theory test.

You have to pass the Air Brakes test before you can book at take the driving test.

If you get hold of the air brake manual and study it before arriving then you would be able to book the air brakes test as soon as you arrive or get Mike to do it for you from here. As long as you read the book you'll have no problems whatsoever.

After passing the air brakes test you can book your driving test. This depends on how confident you are with the driving over here and the trucks and the difference. If you are totaly confident and had some time behind the wheel then book it as soon as you pass your air brakes that way you can be out on the road with your trainer driver ASAP which in turn means you will get into your own truck ASAP which in turn means you start earning proper wages......... presuming you pass the driving test that is.........only 1 person I know of has failed it so far.
Are you saying you did not have to take a theory test??
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Are you saying you did not have to take a theory test??
As mentioned in my previous post:

No Theory test was taken by me or any of the other new drivers.

Now this is PEI it might be different in other provinces so if your going somewhere else check with that province as I know some differ for the transfer of car and truck licences.

Some will make you retake your car test and I'm pretty sure ALL will make you re-sit your truck licence and pass the air brakes test.

Obviously if you pass your truck test they won't make you re-sit your car test but your wife may have to depending on province. My OH did not have to re-sit her driving test here in PEI it was a straight swop.

HTH
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:55 am
Just Joined

As mentioned in my previous post:

No Theory test was taken by me or any of the other new drivers.

Now this is PEI it might be different in other provinces so if your going somewhere else check with that province as I know some differ for the transfer of car and truck licences.

Some will make you retake your car test and I'm pretty sure ALL will make you re-sit your truck licence and pass the air brakes test.

Obviously if you pass your truck test they won't make you re-sit your car test but your wife may have to depending on province. My OH did not have to re-sit her driving test here in PEI it was a straight swop.

HTH
I was just checking i read your previouse post correctly.

Interesting I could really use a cdl book so I can study over hear in the uk do they turn up on EEbay??
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:48 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

I was just checking i read your previouse post correctly.

Interesting I could really use a cdl book so I can study over hear in the uk do they turn up on EEbay??
I took a truck driving course and the theory test was part of it. Don't sweat it or even try to study in the UK, just get the CDL Handbook when you get here and study it for a day or two...........It's easy
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I took a truck driving course and the theory test was part of it. Don't sweat it or even try to study in the UK, just get the CDL Handbook when you get here and study it for a day or two...........It's easy
okay.

Do you travel up and down to halifax as I have been to ns before?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:43 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

okay.

Do you travel up and down to halifax as I have been to ns before?
Not sure what you mean but if you are on about the driving course, it was a 12 week course and it was Nr Truro, NS. I got digs through the week and went home at weekends.
If you mean work then it depends on your employer, some let you take the truck home but more and more don't now so you have to travel to your yard.
I am in the Annapolis Valley which is 45 minutes from my yard in Burnside, Dartmouth. I will have to leave my truck in the yard when i'm home.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
I am in the Annapolis Valley which is 45 minutes from my yard in Burnside, Dartmouth. I will have to leave my truck in the yard when i'm home.
I know where that is.

Just wondering if you moved to ontario would you have to retake you test??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.