Truck driving in Canada

Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future
Default Re: Truck driving in Canada

I know I can be a pain in the arse, old fart, but is it just me?

This driver (road rat) seems to be pushing his luck at his new job in Canada.

We can all be guilty of some of the things he's saying, and doing, but apart from all his yawning, does it constitute 'road rage'?

We may have all done it, but would you show it on a video?

Video here, it's the caravan hell one.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Needs to take a chill pill and or an hourly paid job.

Not sure what speed they were doing but it didn't look that slow, Having said that if the RV was holding a load of traffic up they could have pulled over.

And no way would I have posted a video like that ! Hope he as his PR !!

No coincidence its an H&R Truck then Mick ? lol
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
Needs to take a chill pill and or an hourly paid job.

Not sure what speed they were doing but it didn't look that slow, Having said that if the RV was holding a load of traffic up they could have pulled over.

And no way would I have posted a video like that ! Hope he as his PR !!

No coincidence its an H&R Truck then Mick ? lol
Didn't look too slow to me either.

I've been a reader of Big lorry blog for a long time, and comment on lots of articles, so yes, just coincidence, and It's the company I'm against, not usually the drivers.
If you watch his other videos he is going to piss off a lot of North American drivers with his complaints about them all being lesser drivers than him!
In fact someone does call him an Ass Clown LOL.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

To be honest I do both (drive an RV and Truck ) and I do get frustrated stuck behind slow moving RV's , the Cruise America/Canada ones seem to have the worst drivers as they usually from Europe and seem happy to plod along at 30k all day , Totally unaware of the 3 mile tail back behind them !

Having said that when I'm out in the RV , I don't want to fly along at 10k over the speed limit with a 18 wheeler 2ft from my rear bumper ! So I just pull over when I can and let him past ...simples
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

What a total plank! That area of the US 89 has some of the most spectacular scenery in North America yet instead of showing any of it he films the back of an RV then yaps on about it in a tedious monotone voice.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:52 am
Just Joined

gearjammer01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok! Here we go, Hi Everyone, please bare with me I've never been on a forum before,so please allow for mistakes. In response to the post by arrrobbie, I too lived and worked as a trucj driver in Canada, and returned to Scotland,but unlike arrrobbie, I know it was a mistake to come back,but family responsibilities forced my hand.

I worked for a company out of REGINA Sk whilst there I met lots of really nice people, and some great drivers, but the company wasnt the best,and were too top heavy with people who had never driven a truck,a workshop foreman who didnt have a clue,the techs were all great guys,but you could tell they were frustrated by the conditions.

the work was good I made good miles and reasonable money.

the problems I would warn others about, are many but can all be avoided if you try not to compare the equipment with that of Europe, because there is simply no comparison, the trailers and trucks are antiques,in comparison,and the exreme tempretures dont help.

but the frienliness of the people is amazing, they dont tell you that unless you have enough money to buy a house outright then you wont get a mortgage until you hava PR.

I covered most of Canada and enjoyed it after three or four months, and I would say it takes that amount of time at least to adjust to the new environment.

I now know that someday I will return to Canada, hopefully to the East Coast,for now I need to put up with this crap over here. I would advise
anyone who goes to Canada, to remeber why they wanted to go in the first place, when things get tough. It is a wonderful country and the people are very friendly, but tesco drivers and the like be aware it is a very big country, with huge distances and lots of nights out,if you want a nine to five trucking job stay where you are.
so if anyone in eastern Canada is reading this I am looking for a job, I have 26 years class one experience on all types of trailers and loads,including over length, heavy, and tanks,can only run canada at the moment.

One other thing I would say honestly when I was in Canada I seen some very very poor driving from truck drivers, an example overtaking on a right hand bend in a snow storm. result no visability what so ever.

but despite that I miss being there,and the freedom of the open roads.

Originally Posted by arrrobbbie
I left Canada a while back to return to Scotland.I am on here to try and put people off driving trucks for a living in Canada.It has come to my attention that some Canadian companys actively recruit in the UK.There is one simple reason for that.It has to be the most horrible job in Canada.That is why they have to go abroad for drivers.People actually living in Canada do not want jobs that pay so badly and have such horrendous working conditions.Most jobs pay by the mile.So to make a decent living you need to work like a dog.In Ontario it is legal to drive 84 hours a week .Can you imagine?Many drivers work far more illegally because even with an 84 hour week they cannot earn enough to live on.Even then the drivers have no off time for they have to sleep in their trucks,miles from home.Don't expect any Canadian trucking company to put you up in a hotel.Companys such as Bison that recruit from the UK have drivers that only see home once or twice a month for a day at a time.Jobs that pay by the hour have an average wage of only $14 an hour.To top it off most trucking jobs in Canada pay no overtime rates and do not pay for breaks.In other words if you drive a truck for a living you are treated like an animal.They treat horses better.All in all I would not recommend living in Canada to anyone and certainly not if you drive for a living.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Prudhomme Trucking by any chance ? Gone but not forgotten .
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

hey dont tell you that unless you have enough money to buy a house outright then you wont get a mortgage until you hava PR.
This is not true - Plenty of people have mortgages without PR.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Yep, I got my mortgage organised 4 days after arriving, and I had not even passed my test by that point.

Much of what you say is totally true. But the bad driving thing happens everywhere, not just here. That said, most of the drivers in Alberta drive like a teenage boy after his first score. Same is true of Ontario drivers.

It isn't right to say the vehicles are antiques. They all come with aircon and cruise, they are generally comfortable, they are usually powerful enough for the job and they are designed to take the conditions. No way on earth would a 4 series stand the pounding, regardless of what you say, for 8 or 9 years like the KWs or Petes will.

You are very right about it being huge here, and about 9-5ers staying put. Good post.

Hope you get to realise your dream to return and find it to your liking.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearjammer01
Ok! Here we go, Hi Everyone, please bare with me I've never been on a forum before,so please allow for mistakes. In response to the post by arrrobbie, I too lived and worked as a trucj driver in Canada, and returned to Scotland,but unlike arrrobbie, I know it was a mistake to come back,but family responsibilities forced my hand.

I worked for a company out of REGINA Sk whilst there I met lots of really nice people, and some great drivers, but the company wasnt the best,and were too top heavy with people who had never driven a truck,a workshop foreman who didnt have a clue,the techs were all great guys,but you could tell they were frustrated by the conditions.

the work was good I made good miles and reasonable money.

the problems I would warn others about, are many but can all be avoided if you try not to compare the equipment with that of Europe, because there is simply no comparison, the trailers and trucks are antiques,in comparison,and the exreme tempretures dont help.

but the frienliness of the people is amazing, they dont tell you that unless you have enough money to buy a house outright then you wont get a mortgage until you hava PR.

I covered most of Canada and enjoyed it after three or four months, and I would say it takes that amount of time at least to adjust to the new environment.

I now know that someday I will return to Canada, hopefully to the East Coast,for now I need to put up with this crap over here. I would advise
anyone who goes to Canada, to remeber why they wanted to go in the first place, when things get tough. It is a wonderful country and the people are very friendly, but tesco drivers and the like be aware it is a very big country, with huge distances and lots of nights out,if you want a nine to five trucking job stay where you are.
so if anyone in eastern Canada is reading this I am looking for a job, I have 26 years class one experience on all types of trailers and loads,including over length, heavy, and tanks,can only run canada at the moment.

One other thing I would say honestly when I was in Canada I seen some very very poor driving from truck drivers, an example overtaking on a right hand bend in a snow storm. result no visability what so ever.

but despite that I miss being there,and the freedom of the open roads.
Is this Henry ?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Guys thanks for the reply's, i wish i had met some of you when i was there, I had a lot of money in the bank and banked with RBC, but i was told i would be unable to get a mortgage until I had PR, what can I say. the wife was very unhappy about it, she had eyed a wee house and set her heart on it.

Yes it was Prudhomme,despite the problems I liked the job,and 99% of the people.would love to get in touch with some of them so if any former prudhomme drivers are on this please introduce yourself.

as far as the KWs and Petes go well each to our own, the trailers Hmm, but I have a friend still running a 110 scania on logging still looks and runs like new, I assume you are aware that Volvo and Scania are built to run logging in Northern Sweden where conditions are really cold and tough. but I respect your opinion. but I have mine, and it is a regular sore point for europeans going to Canada,and should be remebered,and try not to compare. just as an interest how many 4 series have you driven and in what set up.

anyway you all take care.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

yes it is Henry who is that.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gearjammer01
yes it is Henry who is that.
Hello mate it's Simon.Couldn't remember too many jocks at Prudhomme so made a calculated guess it must be you.
Are you aware they went to the wall probably 18 months ago ? Previously they'd merged with Schneider flat-decks but it went horribly wrong.Still keep in touch with some of the guys,Ronnie B,Doug,Henry Kroon O/O and more.
Do you still recall with horror the time we ran empty together to the Peg,just West of Brandon your truck got slammed by a gust of wind so hard that your drives got blown out from under you,can still hear your missus screaming over the C.B. LOL !!
You were a good driver,shame you had to go back,hope the family issues are all sorted by now.What are your plans ?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Truck driving in Canada

Hey simon, how are you mate, its great to hear from you. what are you up to and how are the family ,are you still working driving trucks. I knew when I got on the plane I was making a big mistake, but the truth be told mum would have died,so what could I do. listen why dont you email me on my private email. this thing doesnt allow me to email anyone privatley yet.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

I drove several small 4 series and a couple of 124s.. I did have my eye on a 144 Classic but they wanted too much money for it. I drove several F cabs and FH Volvos, too. Yes, I am aware of where Scanias are designed for, but the regular highway Scanias would leave lots of plastic and pieces all over the road. They have to be specced right for rough stuff- twin drives, heavy suspension, reinforced chassis..
But the Petes and KWs are built like that as standard so they seem a little rough and ready by comparison to a Stobarts RDC special. Believe me, I have taken T800s into the real boonies, and the truck handled it well.

Agreed, it may seem a culture shock to newcomers here. A big shiny Alloy bumper and half mudguards seems prehistoric compared to the all encompassing spray suppression and plastic add ons over there, but they are necessary.

I actually prefer the trailers here. Flats are built to take anything. Vans take more than you would expect. I really like the sliding bogies and the fact that almost all of it is simplified so can be repaired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.