Truck Driving

Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:58 am
Banned

jessicarobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck Driving

What are the scopes available in Truck driving?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck Driving

Originally Posted by jessicarobin
Tele..scopes are available for long distance driving
Peri... scopes are useful for undersea driving
Hope this helps
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:37 pm
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jessicarobin
Would you be so kind as to clarify your question? Theres not too many physcics around these parts!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:31 am
Just Joined

jacobh15 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

I once decided to become a truck driver and right now am getting a degree in college just to see if I can land a better paying job.

Trucking is a very noble job since you deliver what we take for granted. There was a report that said if every truck driver in America went on strike the country would collapse in 3 days. Since there would be no one to fill the gas stations with gas, no one to will the food markets with food, and no one to deliver supplies to stores.

Here are 2 forums that have good information.

YTTrucking Forums
TruckingTruth's Forum - The Web's Most Positive, Fun, and Helpful Trucking

google it you will find them!

Now for the job information.

You need to be at least 21 years old to become a truck driver. 18 to drive in-state, 21 to drive to other states. You can either go to a trucking company or truck driving school to get your CDL but I advise you to do research before spending money.

Getting your training at a company is good since 1) They pay for it, it will slowly be taken out of your paycheck for about one year 2) Guaranteed a job since if they spent the time to train you then they will hire you, you are just stuck with that one company for a year.

Going to a truck driving school is good since 1)You are not tied down to one trucking company and can choose who you work for. 2)Training is sometimes more detailed than at a trucking company and 3)Train you to shift a truck, since some of the big trucking companies now are switch to automatic transmission and getting trained by then won't do you good if you switch to a company that used manual transmission. All ANY truck driver training program will do is prepare you to pass the driving test. Only YEARS of experience will make you a good driver. Learning to shift a manual transmission takes a little practice but isn't that difficult to master. Don't let the transmission a potential employer uses in their trucks be a major factor in your choice. I've driven both manual and automatic trucks and while I really like automatics, there's some things I really miss about standard trannys. Crew Chief

The starting pay is around $30,000 - $35,000. Pay is not hourly or salary but by mile. CPM or Cents per Mile. You will be driving around 2000+ miles a week for 4-6 weeks straight before given home time. So if you have a family you will not see them for a month or two and only for a few days at a time. Try to start your career with some savings set aside for emergencies and keeping the bills paid. Trainees don't make very much money. It's VERY expensive living on the road; truck stop meals, showers (if you didn't fuel there) "Revenue enhancement" opportunities can get expensive, too. I spent $213 for a lesson in how to adjust my trailer tandem wheels when I was new to trucking. On another occasion, I spent $77 on an Oregon geography lesson... Crew Chief

While many carriers are trying harder to get drivers home on a more predictable basis, you can still be away from home an family for extended periods. Several weeks out is not unusual...

Also I hope you like driving for long periods of time since you will be driving for 12 hours straight and some companies have you lie on your report so they can push you for 16 hours a day driving.

You can only drive for 11 hours and then you must take a 10-hour break; federal law. If an employer asks you to "fudge the log book" refuse and go find another employer. You do NOT have to run illegally to earn a good living. Running illlegally is just not worth it. You can lose your job, everything you own and can injure or kill yourself and others if you do- Crew Chief

That has been my 2 cents and I would ask someone on one of those forums because most of the users are truck drivers. Also check You Tube since most truckers now keep video blogs of them trucking.

thanks for reading

i hope it helps

Jacob Hoppe
Old Oct 20th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacobh15
hi

I once decided to become a truck driver and right now am getting a degree in college just to see if I can land a better paying job.

Trucking is a very noble job since you deliver what we take for granted. There was a report that said if every truck driver in America went on strike the country would collapse in 3 days. Since there would be no one to fill the gas stations with gas, no one to will the food markets with food, and no one to deliver supplies to stores.

Here are 2 forums that have good information.

YTTrucking Forums
TruckingTruth's Forum - The Web's Most Positive, Fun, and Helpful Trucking

google it you will find them!

Now for the job information.

You need to be at least 21 years old to become a truck driver. 18 to drive in-state, 21 to drive to other states. You can either go to a trucking company or truck driving school to get your CDL but I advise you to do research before spending money.

Getting your training at a company is good since 1) They pay for it, it will slowly be taken out of your paycheck for about one year 2) Guaranteed a job since if they spent the time to train you then they will hire you, you are just stuck with that one company for a year.

Going to a truck driving school is good since 1)You are not tied down to one trucking company and can choose who you work for. 2)Training is sometimes more detailed than at a trucking company and 3)Train you to shift a truck, since some of the big trucking companies now are switch to automatic transmission and getting trained by then won't do you good if you switch to a company that used manual transmission. All ANY truck driver training program will do is prepare you to pass the driving test. Only YEARS of experience will make you a good driver. Learning to shift a manual transmission takes a little practice but isn't that difficult to master. Don't let the transmission a potential employer uses in their trucks be a major factor in your choice. I've driven both manual and automatic trucks and while I really like automatics, there's some things I really miss about standard trannys. Crew Chief

The starting pay is around $30,000 - $35,000. Pay is not hourly or salary but by mile. CPM or Cents per Mile. You will be driving around 2000+ miles a week for 4-6 weeks straight before given home time. So if you have a family you will not see them for a month or two and only for a few days at a time. Try to start your career with some savings set aside for emergencies and keeping the bills paid. Trainees don't make very much money. It's VERY expensive living on the road; truck stop meals, showers (if you didn't fuel there) "Revenue enhancement" opportunities can get expensive, too. I spent $213 for a lesson in how to adjust my trailer tandem wheels when I was new to trucking. On another occasion, I spent $77 on an Oregon geography lesson... Crew Chief

While many carriers are trying harder to get drivers home on a more predictable basis, you can still be away from home an family for extended periods. Several weeks out is not unusual...

Also I hope you like driving for long periods of time since you will be driving for 12 hours straight and some companies have you lie on your report so they can push you for 16 hours a day driving.

You can only drive for 11 hours and then you must take a 10-hour break; federal law. If an employer asks you to "fudge the log book" refuse and go find another employer. You do NOT have to run illegally to earn a good living. Running illlegally is just not worth it. You can lose your job, everything you own and can injure or kill yourself and others if you do- Crew Chief

That has been my 2 cents and I would ask someone on one of those forums because most of the users are truck drivers. Also check You Tube since most truckers now keep video blogs of them trucking.

thanks for reading

i hope it helps

Jacob Hoppe
You do write a load of rubbish....

Last edited by Gremmie; Oct 20th 2013 at 3:36 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:52 am
Banned

cadiehaddock is an unknown quantity at this point

Scope for other jobs is very low. But in driving, this won't reduce at any cost. This is a great oppurtunity for both men and women. This provides you a secured future and demand for this job is high.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadiehaddock
Scope for other jobs is very low. But in driving, this won't reduce at any cost. This is a great oppurtunity for both men and women. This provides you a secured future and demand for this job is high.
Eh?

Not sure what you scope/key skills guys are trying to sell, but it's not working as your posts are almost unintelligible.