Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Truck driver job - immigration - Suggestion needed.

Truck driver job - immigration - Suggestion needed.

Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Truck driver job - immigration - Suggestion needed.

Hello,

Would appreciate some pointers for a close relative of mine (46 years old, Indian citizen, living in India) who has been a truck driver all his adult life.

He needs career assistance (preferably move here to Canada to work) as I am living in Canada for years.. I feel little odd as I have no clue how I could offer any career assistance though I keep hearing there is a big demand. I work in entirely different field (IT self and wife in Finance / Accounting).

Is this doable ?

I could assist him Financially to fly here and offer a place to stay for sometime.

Experienced folks, please share some starting point to pursue this career assistance.

Thanks,
Jay.

Last edited by jagz; Dec 20th 2012 at 4:05 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck driver job - immigration - Suggestion needed.

I suggest that you read WIKI ( truck drivers) and other post .and i hope that your close relative is able to read /write english or french to a high school level.
as if he cannot it will cause problems later in the immigration process.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for responding.
Yes, he could read and write in English. Not very fluent in talking but it is something he could address.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jagz
Thanks for responding.
Yes, he could read and write in English. Not very fluent in talking but it is something he could address.
the next thing he needs to do is find company's who have lmo`s which enable them to recruit people overseas depending on which area he is going to live and work in you could try looking at loblaws, h and r transport, westcan to name a few he would also have to redo his car driving test here before being allowed to do his class 1 as Canada doesn't accept his license there are plenty of experienced drivers on here who can give a lot more pointers than me on what type of company's to look at and which to stay away from
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Great..
From what I read, it is doable and the company which needs such resource need to initiate (understood about re-doing the license work, I could support most of the non-technical part., ie., financial support).

Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I will start contacting these companies mentioned below and in FAQ. I also have some contacts of folks who work in logistics companies but on financial roles...

Happy holidays...

Originally Posted by heydon1983
the next thing he needs to do is find company's who have lmo`s which enable them to recruit people overseas depending on which area he is going to live and work in you could try looking at loblaws, h and r transport, westcan to name a few he would also have to redo his car driving test here before being allowed to do his class 1 as Canada doesn't accept his license there are plenty of experienced drivers on here who can give a lot more pointers than me on what type of company's to look at and which to stay away from
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

O.K. I'll ask the obvious question , can he actually drive a truck PROPERLY ?????? The rest of his cousins can't
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Hahaha.. was a truck driver in army then has been running his own truck company for the past 15 years..till now...

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
O.K. I'll ask the obvious question , can he actually drive a truck PROPERLY ?????? The rest of his cousins can't
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jagz
Hahaha.. was a truck driver in army then has been running his own truck company for the past 15 years..till now...
So you're saying he can drive a semi ? Don't see many of them in India !! Sorry if I appear hostile but I'm getting pretty fed up with running the gauntlet with your cousins who CANNOT drive properly , two days ago on a slick highway I was running empty at 80kph when one of them came flying past only to loose control , career into my lane and then jack-knife into the medium , I carried on with my trip because this is a too frequent occurrence
Tell him to try Surrey BC , you can buy your way in fairly cheaply so I'm informed .
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

So you're saying he can drive a semi ? Don't see many of them in India !! Sorry if I appear hostile but I'm getting pretty fed up with running the gauntlet with your cousins who CANNOT drive properly , two days ago on a slick highway I was running empty at 80kph when one of them came flying past only to loose control , career into my lane and then jack-knife into the medium , I carried on with my trip because this is a too frequent occurrence
Tell him to try Surrey BC , you can buy your way in fairly cheaply so I'm informed .
lol its always the same you have good drivers and bad drivers he would still have to do his class1 here so he isn't going to get on the road to easy unless he pays someone to just let him pass and i was overtaking by two 3 weeks ago between gp and whitecourt and the road was worse than slick there was cars and semis in the medium and over the hard shoulder down the banks and they kept speeding on i was down to 50k for about 300k and i had 30 ton of sand on it was crazy
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately that's just what is happening ,bent schools in Surrey issuing test passes for cash .
Had one of the pass me on the Yellowhead a while back , only problem I had was that it was on a two lane stretch and the "driver " was using the shoulder as the passing lane !!! btw the company was DAY & ROSS.

Last edited by flat to the mat; Dec 23rd 2012 at 6:13 pm. Reason: name and shame
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately that's just what is happening ,bent schools in Surrey issuing test passes for cash .
Had one of the pass me on the Yellowhead a while back , only problem I had was that it was on a two lane stretch and the "driver " was using the shoulder as the passing lane !!! btw the company was DAY & ROSS.
only problem is when they have a crash it causes chaos for everybody else
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to appear racist but the last thing N.America needs is another Indian/Paki death wish driver on the roads.
Their total incompetence and disregard for human life is well known and well documented.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Not wishing to appear racist but the last thing N.America needs is another Indian/Paki death wish driver on the roads.
Their total incompetence and disregard for human life is well known and well documented.
Don't you just love him!!!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Personal feelings are irrelevant , what the guy says is spot on . They're a f###ing danger to others , especially on two lane highways eg from the Peg over to the centre of the universe .
7 years here and I have a sixth sense for spotting them and natural avoidance techniques kick in .
Loblaws were so desperate for drivers when they first opened in Regina that they subbed work to the Taliban out of Calgary , now they just want them gone , the damage to equipment is unreal , hence bringing over the Brits .
Old Dec 31st 2012, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Hey BT come here and see the antics these idiots get up to, they give "team" driving a whole new meaning 5/7 in a truck holding loads then calling demanding cash to before they will deliver. Oh and nothing is ever their fault, I had one that ruined all the trailer tires going over the Rockies and it was our fault for sending him that way They are ticking time bombs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.