Thanks

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

berkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Thanks

I don't know if this is really a thread but I want to say it anyway and I didn't know where else to put it.

I would like to thank all you people who offered advice, good or bad, who got pi**ed off with the same old questions and who gave choice but honest answers in my pursuit to join the growing ranks of stupid Brits who want to become long haul truck drivers in Canada.

I arrived saturday, got my work permit( yes like you said it was easy to get at POE) and I start with Challenger on Monday.

So now it's down to me and see if I can bloody well drive the things!!!!!!!!!!

So Gremmie and Loafy and all the other 'helpful' people out there, thanks again, and if I eventually pass my test it would be nice to meet up with some of you and put faces to names.

By the way, it's bloody cold, and I've just come from Cyprus!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thanks

Originally Posted by berkoboy
I don't know if this is really a thread but I want to say it anyway and I didn't know where else to put it.

I would like to thank all you people who offered advice, good or bad, who got pi**ed off with the same old questions and who gave choice but honest answers in my pursuit to join the growing ranks of stupid Brits who want to become long haul truck drivers in Canada.

I arrived saturday, got my work permit( yes like you said it was easy to get at POE) and I start with Challenger on Monday.

So now it's down to me and see if I can bloody well drive the things!!!!!!!!!!

So Gremmie and Loafy and all the other 'helpful' people out there, thanks again, and if I eventually pass my test it would be nice to meet up with some of you and put faces to names.

By the way, it's bloody cold, and I've just come from Cyprus!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your profile says your still in Cyprus....

You had problems B4 regarding your LMO for Ontario and your now driving for Challanger so where are you now based in Canada......following on from my sarcastic opening line ref profile..

Good luck & all the best dude keep us all posted.

TTFN
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

berkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura aboutberkoboy has a spectacular aura about

I guess i should update my profile Davie!

I arrived in Ottawa, just in case I couldn't get my work permit at POE, I got relatives there so if it went to a ball of chalk I could always have a holiday, got a return ticket, it was cheaper than a single anyway!

Challenger could not get an LMO for Ontario, but they could get one for BC, but they still wanted us in Cambridge to do our training where it is all set up. Once we're trained up ( there are 3 of us), it's off to BC.

of course it has turned out better for us because they have PNP in BC. I think that is probably the reason that when people see Challenger, based in Ontario they don't consider them because Ontario has no PNP, they look for all the Sask situated companies.

So there you have it, you are up to date as I am!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Oh and just for info, while I am in Ottawa, having a sort of holiday, shovelling snow for my uncle i have managed to exchanged my uk licence for Ontario car licence(5mins)ish, SI number(5mins) and opened a bank account.( somewhere to put to put my wages which I am supposed to get according to my contract).

Those of you out there what was the training like, what sort of format did it take.

When I did mine in the UK, it was start driving on the monday, and drove all week with another guy, and passed my test on the friday. I know it is set up different but in what sort of ways.

I think like most people I have so set on getting work permits, job offers, LMO's I haven't really considered the afters bit!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and just for info, while I am in Ottawa, having a sort of holiday, shovelling snow for my uncle i have managed to exchanged my uk licence for Ontario car licence(5mins)ish, SI number(5mins) and opened a bank account.( somewhere to put to put my wages which I am supposed to get according to my contract).

Those of you out there what was the training like, what sort of format did it take.

When I did mine in the UK, it was start driving on the monday, and drove all week with another guy, and passed my test on the friday. I know it is set up different but in what sort of ways.

I think like most people I have so set on getting work permits, job offers, LMO's I haven't really considered the afters bit!
Well done, and dont be such a whimp about the cold it will get a lot colder
I have now some Q,s for you, if you do ya training in OT and pass ya test wont you have to then change ya Class1 when you get to BC ???? i think so
Does BC accept and automaticaly change a Cypress car licence ??? coz they dont take the British one
What im saying is if you get both licences in Ontario then whizz accross to BC to live they might get funny about ya licences Hope not and wish you well,,oh and keep us on BE posted
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

right, heres the deal.

When I first came over for my interview i enquired at the at the ontario licencing centre whether i could exchange my cyprus licence, which had stamped on it exchanged for uk licence. No was the reply. If I only have a Cyprus licence then \i would have to sit an |Ontario car test.

If I had a UK licence they would echange it for a Class G licence, which I need for Ontario driver school.

So i went back to Cyprus after being offered the job with Challenger and awaiting the LMO I made a quick trip back to UK and exchanged my Cyprus licence back for my old C+E , the only snag then was that I had just turned 50 so I had to redo a medical, I had a 2 week window in UK and trying to find a doc to do it at short notice, well that;s another story!!!!!!!!!!

So now I have my Ontario G then get my AZ and after we will transfer to BC, where yes we will have to change our Ontario licences for BC ones.

I hope that is clear as mud.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

right, heres the deal.

When I first came over for my interview i enquired at the at the ontario licencing centre whether i could exchange my cyprus licence, which had stamped on it exchanged for uk licence. No was the reply. If I only have a Cyprus licence then \i would have to sit an |Ontario car test.

If I had a UK licence they would echange it for a Class G licence, which I need for Ontario driver school.

So i went back to Cyprus after being offered the job with Challenger and awaiting the LMO I made a quick trip back to UK and exchanged my Cyprus licence back for my old C+E , the only snag then was that I had just turned 50 so I had to redo a medical, I had a 2 week window in UK and trying to find a doc to do it at short notice, well that;s another story!!!!!!!!!!

So now I have my Ontario G then get my AZ and after we will transfer to BC, where yes we will have to change our Ontario licences for BC ones.

I hope that is clear as mud.
My only hope and concern is that ICBC dont accept this route you have taken,coz they had some real big issues where indians and pakistanies recieved class 1s illeagaly

berkoboy and you are pushing 50 more like berkoldfart
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

what do you mean old fart. wait till I get hold of you................and have a beer.

No seriously, what do mean Class 1 illegally.

I held a uk class 1 from 1992 to 2005. To drive a lorry in Cyprus you have to hold a Cypriot Professional Licence.(they actually recognise that truck driving is a profession).

All us Brit drivers over there assummed ( wrongly) that as Cyprus was now in the EU our UK C+E would be ok. Of course not if you need an extra licence that's more fees and keeps more people in work, but you have to hand over your uk licence, ( which many Brits are loath to do)

So when I needed a UK licence I just went back and asked for old licence back, handed over my Cyprus licence and got my old licence back.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

what do you mean old fart. wait till I get hold of you................and have a beer.

No seriously, what do mean Class 1 illegally.

I held a uk class 1 from 1992 to 2005. To drive a lorry in Cyprus you have to hold a Cypriot Professional Licence.(they actually recognise that truck driving is a profession).

All us Brit drivers over there assummed ( wrongly) that as Cyprus was now in the EU our UK C+E would be ok. Of course not if you need an extra licence that's more fees and keeps more people in work, but you have to hand over your uk licence, ( which many Brits are loath to do)

So when I needed a UK licence I just went back and asked for old licence back, handed over my Cyprus licence and got my old licence back.
last year there was a case of manipulation where a BC driving instructor and a tester at ICBC were putting through Indians willy nilly for backhanders. Since then ICBC have clamped down,,,but you,ll be fine they might take pity on you coz ya age