Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Have the rules changed? Trucker Canada

Have the rules changed? Trucker Canada

Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Metalmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have the rules changed? Trucker Canada

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, I did try and search for answers first.
As I understand it, before it stated on the Canada jobs list "long haul trucker" which if I'm honest isn't for me or my family. however during one of my many day dream at work sessions I thought I'd have a look and see if there were any other jobs I could try my hand at before it would be financial viable to move my family across the Atlantic.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=7&val1=7511&ver=11&_ga=1.16278290 8.1235630305.1492426473
It now l says "transport truck driver" and under the other titles link states short haul truck driver. Does this mean jobs with minimal to no nights out are available with the relevant visas and paperwork?

Cheers
Metalmatt
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Have the rules changed? Trucker Canada

Long haul trucker has never been on the list of eligible occupations for FSW, because it's not classed as 'skilled' - I assume that's the list you mean?

All jobs are possible if you can find an employer prepared to sponsor you and get you over on a TWP, that's not changed.

If you still want to move to Canada but aren't sure how to do it or understanding the visa requirements, I'd suggest you start a new thread giving full info of yourself and any spouse (jobs, education level, which province you wish to move to, etc, etc) in the Canadian immi section of the forum, and people there will be able to steer you in the right direction. There are over 50 routes to Canadian PR, I'm sure that one of them is possible!

Best of luck.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your rapid reply, i was under the impression possibly the very wrong impression that the only way into Canada as a driver was to do long haul.
I will do that when it is more of a viable option, i appreciate the help

Cheers
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Metalmatt
Thank you for your rapid reply, i was under the impression possibly the very wrong impression that the only way into Canada as a driver was to do long haul.
I will do that when it is more of a viable option, i appreciate the help

Cheers
If you come in as a trucker, on PNP and TWP, you do have to do long haul to get PR but if you get PR first, another way, then you can do city or short haul or any job.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the rest of Canada. Here in Ontario friends in the industry tell me that the independent truckers have killed the industry by undercutting each other on prices.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Have the rules changed? Trucker Canada

Originally Posted by geoff52
I don't know about the rest of Canada. Here in Ontario friends in the industry tell me that the independent truckers have killed the industry by undercutting each other on prices.
Personally I believe the same has happened in the U.K. With large general haulage firms charging peanuts and paying there drivers even less