British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Telling it How it is. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/telling-how-719371/)

flat to the mat Jul 3rd 2011 2:55 pm

Re: Telling it How it is.

Originally Posted by Chicken lights and chrome (Post 9471834)
I loaded down there once, lovely place, well I'm heading for Calgary too, will be there all day Monday as my load isn't ready until the evening, may see FTTM on the way back, have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be calling into Regina on the way back to God's Country:rofl:

Feel free to drop by,twenty minutes North on Highway 11,don't be late because we're off to our friends restaurant by the lake for Fish and Chips,with malt vinegar.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Big Truck Jul 3rd 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9468133)
Didn't BT get banned for quoting from another website . ( hopes a mod comes along soon )

I am not banned and I refuse to get involved at all, BUT I will say I have just driven a Volvo FH16 660hp i-shift and by **** what a truck!!!:thumbsup:

kb33 Jul 4th 2011 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9473259)
I am not banned and I refuse to get involved at all, BUT I will say I have just driven a Volvo FH16 660hp i-shift and by **** what a truck!!!:thumbsup:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...20#post5631520

So what was all this about ....?????

Gremmie Jul 4th 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9473295)

2007 OMG... those were the days:rofl::rofl:

Gremmie Jul 4th 2011 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by dave_lol66 (Post 9468825)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: So quoting an email is a problem for you now too :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But its not an email its a post from another forum:p:p

Big Truck Jul 4th 2011 1:35 pm

Kev,

you are getting just a bit twisted:blink:, that was almost 3 and a half years ago and it was a temp ban on BTA and a telling off on BE.:p

Big Truck Jul 4th 2011 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9474295)
2007 OMG... those were the days:rofl::rofl:

Back then was my heyday!!!!!!:thumbsup:
I'm retired now.:cool:

Gremmie Jul 4th 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9474347)
Back then was my heyday!!!!!!:thumbsup:
I'm retired now.:cool:

Yup Iv'e mellowed since the accident and the heart attack too..:rofl::rofl:

kb33 Jul 4th 2011 4:16 pm

:frown:

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9474344)
Kev,

you are getting just a bit twisted:blink:, that was almost 3 and a half years ago and it was a temp ban on BTA and a telling off on BE.:p

Just proving my point. :thumbup:

I could have read the forum rules , but was more fun this way :sneaky:

dave_lol66 Jul 4th 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9474341)
But its not an email its a post from another forum:p:p

So are you now able to read my emails too:unsure: Have you never posted anything that you either received or sent in an email also, I know I have:blink:

dave_lol66 Jul 4th 2011 5:24 pm

Hope a mod comes along soon, posting links for other forums is frowned upon :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gremmie Jul 4th 2011 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by dave_lol66 (Post 9474708)
So are you now able to read my emails too:unsure: Have you never posted anything that you either received or sent in an email also, I know I have:blink:

No just the post's on BTA...

kb33 Jul 4th 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by dave_lol66 (Post 9474711)
Hope a mod comes along soon, posting links for other forums is frowned upon :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Getting confused slightly are we not ?

The link was for this forum. :rofl:

HeadingNorth Jul 6th 2011 8:45 pm

Been talking to the guys from other Provinces working for the company-a lot of the issues now are Federal.
Recently,one driver from Saskatoon waited for 4 months after applying for PR,got the medical request and has now been 8 months but heard nothing-the CIC timelines were listed as 10 months when he applied(and paid fees)but people thinking of coming here should know that the government here can move the goal posts as often, and as far as they like,and as a temporary foreign worker you ain't got many rights in any department.

Gremmie Jul 6th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth (Post 9479636)
Been talking to the guys from other Provinces working for the company-a lot of the issues now are Federal.
Recently,one driver from Saskatoon waited for 4 months after applying for PR,got the medical request and has now been 8 months but heard nothing-the CIC timelines were listed as 10 months when he applied(and paid fees)but people thinking of coming here should know that the government here can move the goal posts as often, and as far as they like,and as a temporary foreign worker you ain't got many rights in any department.

This applies to any country, its the shitty bit of the immigration game:thumbdown::thumbdown:

kb33 Jul 7th 2011 12:45 am

My daughter ( who still lives in the UK ) as just been refused a one year student visa :(

On the grounds that we live here and she might stay. :frown::blink:

HeadingNorth Jul 7th 2011 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9479638)
This applies to any country, its the shitty bit of the immigration game:thumbdown::thumbdown:

If you ask for people to come work in your country and promise them a processing time and other certain conditions you should stick to them-if you don't then I believe the technical term for that is to lie!:eek:

Chicken lights and chrome Jul 7th 2011 3:19 am

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9480017)
My daughter ( who still lives in the UK ) as just been refused a one year student visa :(

That sucks, but unfortunately people will have abused the system in this way in the past, as usual everyone suffers as a result, that's the way of the world:thumbdown:

Gremmie Jul 7th 2011 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9480017)

Why was she not on your original PR application ?????

kb33 Jul 7th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9481008)
Why was she not on your original PR application ?????

She was all loved up with the boyfriend (who is history ) and just moved into a flat with him , plus she wanted to finish her Uni course . She now as all these fancy qualifications and they still won't give her a student holiday /work visa. :frown:

I think that this is just part of the bigger picture of what's happening right now though, a few years ago they would let anyone in and give them PR, nowadays they are making very difficult just to even get a work permit and if you manage to get one don't expect PR will be a foregone conclusion .

So it's not just Truckers feeling the brunt of it all .

Gremmie Jul 7th 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9481392)
She was all loved up with the boyfriend (who is history ) and just moved into a flat with him , plus she wanted to finish her Uni course . She now as all these fancy qualifications and they still won't give her a student holiday /work visa. :frown:

I think that this is just part of the bigger picture of what's happening right now though, a few years ago they would let anyone in and give them PR, nowadays they are making very difficult just to even get a work permit and if you manage to get one don't expect PR will be a foregone conclusion .

So it's not just Truckers feeling the brunt of it all .

Hmmmmmmmmm, seems a bit harsh, does she intend to stay tho :confused::confused:

kb33 Jul 7th 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9481422)
Hmmmmmmmmm, seems a bit harsh, does she intend to stay tho :confused::confused:

Well it was supposed to be a long research trip , she already applied for jobs and got favourable responses , she loves it out here but as a lot of friends she would miss in the UK . If things had gone well out here and she found a company to sponsor her then she would have stayed. But I suppose we will never find out now. :thumbdown::(

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 4:17 pm

Wow this thread has been going forever!!

Me and my family are all british, we went through an immigration company to get started on getting out to Alberta. We applied in Nov 2008 in feb 2009 my OH got his work contract, LMO and we flew in mar 2009 and got his WP at the airport on landing. things were great the first year sailed by life was great (we were told no problems with the paperwork everything was in order to get us through the AINP to PR) we adopted a dog and two cats my son was loving school (6 at the time) life was great for all of us, my OH loved the trucking experiance too, then in march this year (2011) we had a letter to say our application had been refused :mad: we found out they reject my OH on the grounds he had no secondary qualifications, never mind the 24 years experiance he had or the fact he ran his own transport business in the UK for over 5 years!!! we were heart broken, the only way we could stay was for him to re-take his exams pass and then start the process all over! they wanted 5 passes and without the guarantee he would pass we cut our losses and left. We made sure our pets went to a good shelter and they email me regularly to let me know how they are, my son is really sad Canada is all he knew and me I feel sick. why were we even let in if they required 5 GCSE passes?? they dont mention this anywhere!! I'm still fighting the federal government they shouldn't put anyone through this especially those with young children, we had to give up everything, our home, pets, jobs, friends and try and raise enough money to start over in England again. Canada still holds all our certificates etc, and we cant seem to get hold of anyone to get them back. Its been 4 months since we have been back here in the uk and we've never been so unhappy, Canada let us down BIG time and have basically ripped our lives out from under our feet!

Canada is a beautiful country but their rules they seem to make up as they go along. Truckers beware make sure you have 5 GCSE's or more or you two could end up like us, my passes didn't count only goes for the main applicant - the truck driver

kb33 Sep 2nd 2011 4:30 pm

First of all I'm really sorry how things have turned out for you , Especially as you loved the place. :(
They do seem to have made things a lot harder for people getting nomination lately as this thread as indicated and I'm not sure why either .
Its certainly news to me that you have to have 5 GCSE's to get nomination , I know some who have trouble spelling their own name and got nomination :o

There are a few that are still waiting for nomination that I know off so I will keep you all updated on developments.

Gremmie Sep 2nd 2011 4:42 pm

never heard of the 5 GCE thing either, I think you may have mis under stood some thing or missed some part of the aplication. As far as i can remember it only asks how many years at school ??? And who told you your paperwork was good ?? And if your hubby was refused what was with your application was that also refused ?? So why did you just up and leave. Alot of this doesnt make sense to me.

CurtNIR Sep 2nd 2011 4:45 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708656

sorry to hear that.
You really should have stayed and at least tried the GED exam. If you didnt pass then fair enough, you would have gone back to the Uk...But just going back to the uk because you think you wont pass..:confused:

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 4:46 pm

I'm Hoping that my fight will pay off but it's not likely :( I have kept the letter stating that he needed 5 passes in order to qualify for the AINP which even now is not mentioned anywhere on the CIC website, we spent over $7,000 CAD so hopefully if anything can get some of that back :fingerscrossed:

It was a reason I feel was unfair especially after living happily over there for 2 years!!!!

Apparently those rules came in after jan 2011 but this isn't known publicly and our application was put in well before this.......

Just be warned and be qualified Dont let what happened to us happen to you

.......and let the fight continue :banghead:

kb33 Sep 2nd 2011 4:53 pm

The latest I have heard on this is that you need to prove that you attended and finished high school and no mention of any exam passes , School reports would have sufficed to prove this .

Do you have a link that states you need 5 GCSE'S ? I'm not sure if you mean for PR or PNP nomination either.

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9596656)
never heard of the 5 GCE thing either, I think you may have mis under stood some thing or missed some part of the aplication. As far as i can remember it only asks how many years at school ??? And who told you your paperwork was good ?? And if your hubby was refused what was with your application was that also refused ?? So why did you just up and leave. Alot of this doesnt make sense to me.

Ok first we'd never heard of the GCSE thing until the letter arrived from the Alberta Provincial Government, this was then confirmed by the Federal government who walked me through what happened at length in an email by the Minister. Our paperwork was done by an immigration office who the truck company use to bring foreign drivers over and because I was the spouse on his application (Open WP mirrored his) we couldn't apply in my name unless I had worked previously for the last 6 months for an employer approved by the HRSDC which I didn't.

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9596680)
The latest I have heard on this is that you need to prove that you attended and finished high school and no mention of any exam passes , School reports would have sufficed to prove this .

Do you have a link that states you need 5 GCSE'S ? I'm not sure if you mean for PR or PNP nomination either.

We were refused the AINP, there is no link to qualification passes, this is my point why it is unfair that they used this against us, our proof of schooling is still in their hands.....I know it's hard to believe if I can scan the letter in here I will this was as much a shock for us as it is for you lot and I have the letter!

Gremmie Sep 2nd 2011 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by karen31 (Post 9596689)
Ok first we'd never heard of the GCSE thing until the letter arrived from the Alberta Provincial Government, this was then confirmed by the Federal government who walked me through what happened at length in an email by the Minister. Our paperwork was done by an immigration office who the truck company use to bring foreign drivers over and because I was the spouse on his application (Open WP mirrored his) we couldn't apply in my name unless I had worked previously for the last 6 months for an employer approved by the HRSDC which I didn't.

Ok take this problem to the Immigration section of BE, this is beyond us wallies here but they have experts who know whats what.

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9596706)
Ok take this problem to the Immigration section of BE, this is beyond us wallies here but they have experts who know whats what.

I will post my email from the minister, first though I need to change OH name then it will make sense.

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 5:17 pm

To: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:37:20 -0600
Subject: Client Inquiry (ID XX9) - Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) -KS (Re: XXXXXX - AINP # XXX1-X9-XXX90)

Dear Ms. K S,

Thank you for your email of August 20, 2011, regarding your fiancé, XXXX XXXXXX’s, application to the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) for the occupation of Long-Haul Truck Driver.

I attempted to contact you by telephone yesterday afternoon (August 23) by calling (403) 641-2700, the home contact phone number provided on Mr. XXXXXX’s application, but it appears that this telephone number is no longer in service. Therefore, I am emailing you directly instead to address your inquiry and to clarify the rationale for the decision to decline Mr. XXXXXX’s AINP application.

The federal Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program, is designed to allow foreign workers to work temporarily in Canada for a limited period of time, as authorized by a CIC Work Permit. The intent of the TFW program is to authorize temporary employment and is not designed as a route to permanent residence in Canada. Individuals who wish to reside in Canada permanently may utilize a number of federal CIC programs, or provincial programs, such as the AINP, which have their own approval criteria. The criteria for the AINP Long-Haul Truck Driving Industry Category have been in place since the year of 2004. For your reference, the criteria are listed on our website at: www.albertacanada.com/ainp.

According to our records, the AINP received Mr. XXXXXX’s application on December 21, 2009. On January 4, 2010 a notification email was sent to Mr. XXXXXX's representative, Paul XXXX, confirming that the AINP had received the application. On December 1, 2010, a Program Officer initiated an assessment of his file and sent an email to Mr. XXXXXX’s employer, XXxX Transport Ltd., to confirm his current employment status with the company. On December 2, 2010, a response was received from XXXX Transport Ltd., providing confirmation of on-going employment. A final review of the file was initiated on December 3, 2010, and a request for additional information was sent to Mr. XXXXXX’s representative. On December 29, 2010, the additional information requested was received by mail. The additional information was reviewed by a Program Officer on January 18, 2011 who noted that Mr. XXXXXX's education credentials did not appear to meet the minimum education criterion for the Long-Haul Trucking Industry under the AINP Employer-Driven Semi-Skilled Worker Category.

In order to clarify if Mr. XXXXXX met the minimum education criterion, further consultation was made to the provincial International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) to validate if that the examination documents demonstrated completion of high school. IQAS reviewed the educational documents and advised that Mr. XXXXXX’s General Certificate of Education (GCE) Notification of Results did not demonstrate passing grades for the required minimum of 5 GCE examinations. Although, the documents illustrate that Mr. XXXXXX completed more than 5 GCE examinations, it appears that he only received passing grades for two of the examinations. Several of the other grades that he received were graded as “U”, indicating a “failure to attain a minimum passing grade”. In light of this circumstance, the AINP declined Mr. XXXXX’s application for not meeting the minimum high school education criterion and a decline letter was issued on January 26, 2011.

As stated on the decline letter, Mr. XXXXXX may choose to obtain an Alberta High School Equivalency Diploma as a mature student by completing and passing five General Educational Development (GED) Tests. For further information on the GED Tests, please visit http://education.alberta.ca/students...ernative2.aspx or contact Learner Records and Data Exchange at (780) 422-9337.

Also, as previously stated on the AINP decline letter of January 26, 2011, Mr. XXXXXX may wish to re-apply to the AINP for the occupation of Long-Haul Truck Driver once he receives a High School Equivalency Diploma and provided he continues to maintain his employment status, and holds a valid Work Permit.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me directly at (780) 644-XXXX.

Sincerely,

KXXXX XXXX

Team Lead, Semi-Skilled Workers

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

Suite 940, Telus Plaza North Tower

10025 Jasper Avenue

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5J 1S6

Tel: 780-644-3368

Fax: 780-427-1395

Gremmie Sep 2nd 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by karen31 (Post 9596733)
To: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:37:20 -0600
Subject: Client Inquiry (ID XX9) - Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) -KS (Re: XXXXXX - AINP # XXX1-X9-XXX90)

Dear Ms. K S,

Thank you for your email of August 20, 2011, regarding your fiancé, XXXX XXXXXX’s, application to the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) for the occupation of Long-Haul Truck Driver.

I attempted to contact you by telephone yesterday afternoon (August 23) by calling (403) 641-2700, the home contact phone number provided on Mr. XXXXXX’s application, but it appears that this telephone number is no longer in service. Therefore, I am emailing you directly instead to address your inquiry and to clarify the rationale for the decision to decline Mr. XXXXXX’s AINP application.

The federal Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program, is designed to allow foreign workers to work temporarily in Canada for a limited period of time, as authorized by a CIC Work Permit. The intent of the TFW program is to authorize temporary employment and is not designed as a route to permanent residence in Canada. Individuals who wish to reside in Canada permanently may utilize a number of federal CIC programs, or provincial programs, such as the AINP, which have their own approval criteria. The criteria for the AINP Long-Haul Truck Driving Industry Category have been in place since the year of 2004. For your reference, the criteria are listed on our website at: www.albertacanada.com/ainp.

According to our records, the AINP received Mr. XXXXXX’s application on December 21, 2009. On January 4, 2010 a notification email was sent to Mr. XXXXXX's representative, Paul XXXX, confirming that the AINP had received the application. On December 1, 2010, a Program Officer initiated an assessment of his file and sent an email to Mr. XXXXXX’s employer, XXxX Transport Ltd., to confirm his current employment status with the company. On December 2, 2010, a response was received from XXXX Transport Ltd., providing confirmation of on-going employment. A final review of the file was initiated on December 3, 2010, and a request for additional information was sent to Mr. XXXXXX’s representative. On December 29, 2010, the additional information requested was received by mail. The additional information was reviewed by a Program Officer on January 18, 2011 who noted that Mr. XXXXXX's education credentials did not appear to meet the minimum education criterion for the Long-Haul Trucking Industry under the AINP Employer-Driven Semi-Skilled Worker Category.

In order to clarify if Mr. XXXXXX met the minimum education criterion, further consultation was made to the provincial International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) to validate if that the examination documents demonstrated completion of high school. IQAS reviewed the educational documents and advised that Mr. XXXXXX’s General Certificate of Education (GCE) Notification of Results did not demonstrate passing grades for the required minimum of 5 GCE examinations. Although, the documents illustrate that Mr. XXXXXX completed more than 5 GCE examinations, it appears that he only received passing grades for two of the examinations. Several of the other grades that he received were graded as “U”, indicating a “failure to attain a minimum passing grade”. In light of this circumstance, the AINP declined Mr. XXXXX’s application for not meeting the minimum high school education criterion and a decline letter was issued on January 26, 2011.

As stated on the decline letter, Mr. XXXXXX may choose to obtain an Alberta High School Equivalency Diploma as a mature student by completing and passing five General Educational Development (GED) Tests. For further information on the GED Tests, please visit http://education.alberta.ca/students...ernative2.aspx or contact Learner Records and Data Exchange at (780) 422-9337.

Also, as previously stated on the AINP decline letter of January 26, 2011, Mr. XXXXXX may wish to re-apply to the AINP for the occupation of Long-Haul Truck Driver once he receives a High School Equivalency Diploma and provided he continues to maintain his employment status, and holds a valid Work Permit.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me directly at (780) 644-XXXX.

Sincerely,

KXXXX XXXX

Team Lead, Semi-Skilled Workers

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program

Suite 940, Telus Plaza North Tower

10025 Jasper Avenue

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5J 1S6

Tel: 780-644-3368

Fax: 780-427-1395

Holy Crap, if this is the New Norm required their is going to be alot of Brits being sent home, and not just Truckers.

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9596756)
Holy Crap, if this is the New Norm required their is going to be alot of Brits being sent home, and not just Truckers.

YES there is and they dont make it common knowledge to anyone, I hope I am helping people here, I not out to upset anyone but feel people should be made aware........THIS IS HAPPENING!

kb33 Sep 2nd 2011 5:31 pm

So I followed the link and no mention of any GCSE's :confused:

Perhaps Roy (Headng North ) can shed some light , He got Nominated last year and Im not sure if he the GCSE's either

[I]Industry-specific criteria – long-haul trucking industry

Definition of long-haul and short-haul truck drivers

Long-haul: Drivers depart for destinations thousands of kilometres away from home. They cross inter-provincial boundaries and travel over international routes across North America. Drivers are away from home for several days per week or weeks at a time. A long-haul driver is one who operates a tractor-trailer combination vehicle and hauls commercial goods over long distances.

Long-haul truck drivers are eligible under the AINP.

Short-Haul: Drivers typically leave home or the terminal in the morning and travel to destinations within a half day’s or one day’s drive; they make numerous stops to pick up and deliver goods over a relatively short distance.

Short-haul truck drivers are not eligible under the AINP.

As an Alberta Employer in the long-haul trucking industry, you must also:

Have satisfactory recruitment strategies and conditions, employment policies and practices, retention and settlement in order to qualify for allocations.
Allocations will also be based on the number of temporary foreign workers approved under a Labour Market Opinion (LMO), size of company and number of long-haul drivers and past performance (retention rates).
A company will not receive an allocation larger than the number of foreign drivers for which the company has received an LMO.
Allocations will be based on 10 to 15 per cent of the number of long-haul drivers employed by the company.
A review of the retention rate of the company with previous allocations will be conducted. Companies with retention rates of less than 50 per cent may not receive a full yearly allocation. These companies will have to demonstrate improved recruitment and hiring practices.
Provide information regarding recruitment activity and supporting documentation that demonstrates that the foreign trained driver is aware of the scope of their employment, which includes duration of long-haul trips taken, mileage, normal amount of days away from home, and anticipated annual salary.
Show the Candidate has received in-Alberta training. If you provide the training, details of the training program must be provided, including training content, hours of training provided in a classroom and supervised road training, testing methodology, and results.
If the training is provided by a third party, a copy of the program syllabus must be provided including hours of classroom and supervised road training, testing methodology and results.
The in-Alberta training and supervision must certify familiarity with traffic laws, documentation requirements (record of loads, vehicle maintenance log books, mileage, etc.) and areas of specialization (hazardous goods, mountains, winter driving conditions, running in major metropolitan areas etc).
Show that Candidates have prior driving training and related experience in a professional capacity.
Show the Candidate is competent in listening, speaking, reading and writing English prior to nomination. You are responsible for testing and establishing a benchmark of English language capability of the Candidate upon arrival and once again prior to nomination to demonstrate progress.
The Employer shall be responsible for paying the cost of these two assessments (the cost of additional assessments above this limit shall be the responsibility of the Candidate).
Employers are responsible to ensure that initial and subsequent testing is performed through the same assessment service or provide an identical method of assessment.
If the Candidate originated from an English speaking country or has completed secondary or post-secondary studies in English, you are not required to provide proof of Candidate competency in the English language.
Should the Candidate not be competent in English, you must provide the Candidate with an in-house English as a Second Language (ESL) program or cover the cost of the ESL training for the Candidate.
The in-house ESL program shall only be taught by certified ESL teachers.
An Employer will schedule the Candidate’s work in order to meet the requirements of a minimum of six hours per week of ESL training.
Participation shall be on employee time, however, the Employer shall supply and pay for teachers, materials and classrooms.
Participation in the ESL program shall begin within sixty days of the arrival of the PN Candidate and continue for the duration of the work permit
To be eligible for nomination the Candidate must submit proof of 85 per cent attendance rate in the ESL training and must demonstrate a progress in learning.
As a Candidate in the long-haul trucking industry, you must also:

Be working for your Alberta Employer as a long-haul truck driver (refer to definitions above)
Show you have an Alberta Class 1 driver's license and are eligible to meet provincial regulations.
Provide a copy of your foreign driver's license which indicates C+E certification (if from Europe).
Both parts of the license must be provided. If the driver's license is not in English, it must be translated by a certified translator.
Be employed in Alberta for a minimum of six months before applying to the AINP.
Have driven in a professional capacity before coming to Canada and provide sufficient credible documentation to demonstrate your previous driving related training (hazardous goods, etc.) and work experience.
You must provide reference letters on company letterhead, dated, and signed with the title or position of the individual from the company who is providing the reference. E-mail letters are acceptable if they are sent from the e-mail account of the company that is providing the references (not hotmail, gmail or yahoo accounts). The letter must state the occupation of the employee, either HGV/LGV driver, and/or describe the work they performed which clearly indicates the equipment that was driven (articulated, semi, reefer, tanker, etc.).
Preference will be given to drivers who can demonstrate a minimum of three out of the last five years’ work experience as a HGV/LGV driver.

Gremmie Sep 2nd 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by karen31 (Post 9596764)
YES there is and they dont make it common knowledge to anyone, I hope I am helping people here, I not out to upset anyone but feel people should be made aware........THIS IS HAPPENING!

I copied your post and started a new thread on the Canada page, hope you dont mind.

karen31 Sep 2nd 2011 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9596771)
I copied your post and started a new thread on the Canada page, hope you dont mind.

No worries, If I can help people before it happens to them, then at least I have managed to do something after all that has happened to us :unsure:

kb33 Sep 2nd 2011 5:39 pm

Sounds like to me that they are using any excuse to refuse you , They have obviously seen something in your application and decided for whatever reason they don't want you and have used this to refuse you .

Canadians are pretty good at moving the goalpost !

iaink Sep 2nd 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9596768)
So I followed the link and no mention of any GCSE's :confused:

There wont be in the truck driving specific criterea, but the general criteria for the semi skilled PNP state that:

As a Candidate in the Semi-Skilled Worker Category, you must:

Be currently working in Alberta on a work permit for an eligible AINP Semi-Skilled Occupation (see list above)
Show that you have completed a minimum of high school education.

Now, its not spelled out what exactly that is for a Brit, but 5 GCSEs seems reasonable to me (similar to Canadian requirements) and has probably been mandated by these people?
http://www.credentials.gc.ca/recogni...hy-matters.asp

AFAIK CIC tend to offload the responsibility for sorting out qualification equivalance to other bodies, in order to avoid having to spell this out for 200 different countries I expect.

Doesnt change the fact that it sucks for the guy refused, but "thems the rules" apparently. With a tough economy it wouldnt suprise me if more and more temporary residents find it increasingly hard to make the jump to PR, but I hope Im wrong about that.