British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Telling it How it is. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/telling-how-719371/)

HeadingNorth Jun 2nd 2011 6:20 pm

Telling it How it is.

Well for those thinking of coming to Canada-you’ll read a lot of things saying how great and easy it is to emigrate to Canada, well for every one of those “good” stories you hear I can give you four bad ones.
How about the guy and his family who just got deported back to the UK after five and a half years here-just think of his kids who had been here all their formative years only to be forced back to a strange, to them, country and school system. He got deported, and I mean by that, he was told to leave or be taken away in handcuffs with two weeks’ notice, as they decided after all that time his paperwork was wrong.
What about the guy who got sick from a dirty truck and ended up going to hospital, only to receive a bill for $650 for health care as his work permit had expired and he was still waiting for a replacement as the governments waiting times are so long.
Don’t forget until you have PR you basically stuck with the same company as it’s tough to find places with LMOs.
Yesterday I got a phone call from CIC telling me ,after six months, they wanted another $200,on top of the $300 I paid them six months ago, before I can have a work permit-all down to their mistake on the last permit.
To those not familiar with the requirements and processing times:
Work permits are taking at least six months to process right now-If you don’t have a work permit:
You are not entitled to medical cover, schooling for your children and will not be able to return to Canada if you leave the country-now try complying with the requirements of being a long haul truck driver for immigration purposes, especially if you were running stateside.
AINP is taking at least 13 months for processing, plus your six months waiting before you can apply when you start at a company.
PR is taking at least 13 months at present-so in reality you’re going to be waiting at least 18 months. My application has been in over 7 months and we still don’t even know whether have officially received it, they haven’t opened our file for sure as we’re not in process.
One person makes a decision on your paperwork. They have the power to decide whether you stay or go-don’t believe me, then trying giving a Border guard some lip at a point of entry and see what happens, but they can abuse you as much as they like, and yes I can vouch for that from personal experience.
At every stage above you have to pay upfront-and just you try contacting any of the above agencies, not much joy there. I have got a Lawyer chasing our PR in Buffalo and he still can’t get a response.
So to summarise-if you like being abused, threatened ,coerced and paying up front for paperwork that may, or may not arrive, and living as a non entity with no rights for years, Canada is the place for you!
As precursor to the smart arse answers that some are going to come up with from their PR enhanced ivory towers-you got lucky that you have never had to suffer the crap that happens to the majority of the people here.
I have set a date that if our paperwork is not in process by then we will leave here as I’m tired of being treated worse than most illegal immigrants get treated in other countries and all the while paying taxes to governments that do nothing but abuse immigrant workers.

DAVIE_MAC Jun 2nd 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Telling it How it is.

Dear Confused,

How about the guy and his family who just got deported back to the UK after five and a half years here-just think of his kids who had been here all their formative years only to be forced back to a strange, to them, country and school system. He got deported, and I mean by that, he was told to leave or be taken away in handcuffs with two weeks’ notice, as they decided after all that time his paperwork was wrong
Seems very unfortunate and a bit extreme, possibly more to the story as to what was wrong with The Paperwork...?????

What about the guy who got sick from a dirty truck and ended up going to hospital, only to receive a bill for $650 for health care as his work permit had expired and he was still waiting for a replacement as the governments waiting times are so long
Again very unfortunate however I do believe an element of personal admin might have foreseen his work permit expiring and why not start the proccess a lot sooner. You can get a work permit in about 30mins at the border / port of entry so this is a bit hard to believe. Maybe the LMO was delayed but WP nah if he sent it off Vegreville then he was ill-advised and should have known better if he already had one.

Don’t forget until you have PR you basically stuck with the same company as it’s tough to find places with LMOs.
Not true your stuck with the same company until you have PR or for that matter even in the same job category. I came as a trucker and before I had PR I gained employment as a Quality Assurance Manager for an IT company. I do agree though in some places LMO's can be hard to have authorised.

Yesterday I got a phone call from CIC telling me ,after six months, they wanted another $200,on top of the $300 I paid them six months ago, before I can have a work permit-all down to their mistake on the last permit.
Again you can get your WP at port of entry so if your running into the USA why not stop at the border on your return to Canada and get your WP there and then... $500 for what??? your WP is $180 if I remember rightly

To those not familiar with the requirements and processing times:
Work permits are taking at least six months to process right now-If you don’t have a work permit
I think you might be one of those in the above category as in unfamiliar with the application timelines & proccess... ??

will not be able to return to Canada if you leave the country
As a British Passport holder you can return and be given a 6 month visa when you arrive / land.

now try complying with the requirements of being a long haul truck driver for immigration purposes, especially if you were running stateside
Sorry dont understand this statement please can you expalin a bit better?

AINP is taking at least 13 months for processing, plus your six months waiting before you can apply when you start at a company.
PR is taking at least 13 months at present-so in reality you’re going to be waiting at least 18 months. My application has been in over 7 months and we still don’t even know whether have officially received it, they haven’t opened our file for sure as we’re not in process
Quite normal in most cases. What is the problem with this and the rush. You could always apply for PR from the UK and wait 4 - 5 years. What is your concern. Your in Canada presumably doing your dream job, in the country YOU chose to come to, driving lovely big trucks around N.America (for sh*t money I might add to sympathise) seeing sights you never could dream of and to top it all nobody forced you to come and you could always go back.... I really can not see why people get so hung up on the PR application proccess.. just stick the bloody thing in and get on with enjoying the life you came to Canada for and the PR will follow..18 months later so bloody what?? mine took about the same no big deal.

One person makes a decision on your paperwork. They have the power to decide whether you stay or go-don’t believe me, then trying giving a Border guard some lip at a point of entry and see what happens, but they can abuse you as much as they like, and yes I can vouch for that from personal experience
Not a good idea really in any country. NEVER experienced this from the Canadians. Yanks yes they are just a bunch of ignorant F***wits who think they are so important to safety and security of the US of A.. you just have to humour them and let them believe like they all do that they are the greatest nation on earth and then wonder why everybody F*****G hates the P***S I despise them and just cant believe how pathetic they really are.

As precursor to the smart arse answers that some are going to come up with from their PR enhanced ivory towers-you got lucky that you have never had to suffer the crap that happens to the majority of the people here
You ever been to PEI....:blink:

Think I'll pull up a chair now and wait for Gremmie to pop along... this could get interesting.

L8trs

Gremmie Jun 2nd 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 9406089)
Dear Confused,

Seems very unfortunate and a bit extreme, possibly more to the story as to what was wrong with The Paperwork...?????

Again very unfortunate however I do believe an element of personal admin might have foreseen his work permit expiring and why not start the proccess a lot sooner. You can get a work permit in about 30mins at the border / port of entry so this is a bit hard to believe. Maybe the LMO was delayed but WP nah if he sent it off Vegreville then he was ill-advised and should have known better if he already had one.

Not true your stuck with the same company until you have PR or for that matter even in the same job category. I came as a trucker and before I had PR I gained employment as a Quality Assurance Manager for an IT company. I do agree though in some places LMO's can be hard to have authorised.

Again you can get your WP at port of entry so if your running into the USA why not stop at the border on your return to Canada and get your WP there and then... $500 for what??? your WP is $180 if I remember rightly

I think you might be one of those in the above category as in unfamiliar with the application timelines & proccess... ??

As a British Passport holder you can return and be given a 6 month visa when you arrive / land.

Sorry dont understand this statement please can you expalin a bit better?

Quite normal in most cases. What is the problem with this and the rush. You could always apply for PR from the UK and wait 4 - 5 years. What is your concern. Your in Canada presumably doing your dream job, in the country YOU chose to come to, driving lovely big trucks around N.America (for sh*t money I might add to sympathise) seeing sights you never could dream of and to top it all nobody forced you to come and you could always go back.... I really can not see why people get so hung up on the PR application proccess.. just stick the bloody thing in and get on with enjoying the life you came to Canada for and the PR will follow..18 months later so bloody what?? mine took about the same no big deal.

Not a good idea really in any country. NEVER experienced this from the Canadians. Yanks yes they are just a bunch of ignorant F***wits who think they are so important to safety and security of the US of A.. you just have to humour them and let them believe like they all do that they are the greatest nation on earth and then wonder why everybody F*****G hates the P***S I despise them and just cant believe how pathetic they really are.

You ever been to PEI....:blink:

Think I'll pull up a chair now and wait for Gremmie to pop along... this could get interesting.

L8trs

You said it all far more eloquently than I ever could...
But here's my 2p worth, the guy that got deported broke the law his paper work may have been forged or he more likely falsified info... his fault you go.
Sick from a dirty truck, who was it Howie Mandel or some other germaphobe, and why did he not have health insurance ??? from his company or private, his fault.... pay ya bill.
So thats 3 of us that changed jobs before we got PR,, I infact changed Provinces and jobs twice, so ya aint stuck in 1 job...
And so on and so forth,
Bureaucratic cock ups happen but can be minimalised by doing the proper research plus the CIC web page has the time lines posted. I would say most if not all of these gripes are of the culprits own doing.

I have to keep up my reputation, this is just canon fodder to me:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jamesmc Jun 2nd 2011 11:24 pm

As for the problems with doing OTR in the states (days out o canada).
you can ask to see a immigration judge. IMO.
jimmy.

flat to the mat Jun 3rd 2011 3:23 am

Very good response Davie,wouldn't have the time or patience to build such a good reply.Know many many ex-pats and only one family went back to Scotland,not through choice but due to a sick relative back home.A mate did have his 19 year old son deported,but the kid was an idiot and always in trouble,so why should Canada want him here ?
Enough dodgy people and their families seem able to land here,that remark is pointed towards our friends in Surrey BC,but it's good to know there are certain restrictions in place to stop this country turning into the U.K.,WHERE EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COME AND SCROUNGE OF THE TAXPAYERS !!!!:frown:and put nothing back into the country they choose to live in.

kb33 Jun 4th 2011 3:27 pm

Thing is Roy as been VERY unlucky , I think he got here before I did , But got layed off in the recession so had to start with another company before getting his nomination Therefore had to start all over again , I'm not sure what's going on at Alberta PNP , But our nomination took three weeks to come back , Now its taking over 13 months to process , Also the PR process as lengthened somewhat , Ours taking 5 months from start to finish and after 7 months they haven't even confirmed they have looked at Roy's !

Can sympathise with the work permit thing as well , They had my wife in tears when we were down at Coutts trying to get a spousal work permit. And made us all feel like 3 feet tall , They really were that bad .

The deportation thing I find hard to believe , as it took years of courtroom arguments to deport a Vietnamese gang leader back to his own country , (Calgary ) So it cant be that easy to do the same to a normal hard working tax paying family .

I have been saying for months now including one infamous blog , That Alberta would be a place to avoid at the moment for a quick PR status , They really are making things difficult for people at the moment and I'm not sure why :unsure:

dave_lol66 Jun 6th 2011 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth (Post 9405899)
As precursor to the smart arse answers that some are going to come up with from their PR enhanced ivory towers-you got lucky that you have never had to suffer the crap that happens to the majority of the people here.
I have set a date that if our paperwork is not in process by then we will leave here as I’m tired of being treated worse than most illegal immigrants get treated in other countries and all the while paying taxes to governments that do nothing but abuse immigrant workers.

Got lucky:rofl::rofl: never heard such shit, absolutely nothing to do with luck:frown: It's not putting up with the crap, being hard working and honest and willing to tell them to shove it and move on.
You have obviously had a very rough time but that has **** all to do with the rest of us that already have pr so maybe better that you just leave now, after all with an attitude like that why set a time and date;)

kb33 Jun 7th 2011 2:28 am

Originally Posted by dave_lol66 (Post 9414641)
Got lucky:rofl::rofl: never heard such shit, absolutely nothing to do with luck:frown: It's not putting up with the crap, being hard working and honest and willing to tell them to shove it and move on.
You have obviously had a very rough time but that has **** all to do with the rest of us that already have pr so maybe better that you just leave now, after all with an attitude like that why set a time and date;)

Not sure how many times this needs repeating , but you can't just tell em to shove it and move on , LMOs are few and far between And they don't hand them out willy nilly . If you lose your job your whilst on TWP you're in trouble plain and simple. As Roy as found out. I think all of the replies giving the OP a hard time here would be just a little miffed having been here 4 years and still working on a TWP.

Pretty piss poor response to genuine case IMO :(

flat to the mat Jun 7th 2011 5:27 am

It might be a genuine case,but the guy starts his rant by saying there are four crap experiences of moving to Canada to every good one.Now we all know this is bullshit,so are bound to read the remainder of his post with with a similar view.
Then a reference to remarks from people with P.R. living in ivory towers,WTF,that's part of the reason for coming here,ie to better our standard of living etc.Don't think for one minute that I feel guilty for succeeding because that isn't going to happen.
If the guy has been here for 4 years and still hasn't obtained P.R.,his alarm bells should have been ringing a long long time ago,only himself to blame on that one.

dave_lol66 Jun 7th 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9415181)
Not sure how many times this needs repeating , but you can't just tell em to shove it and move on , LMOs are few and far between And they don't hand them out willy nilly . If you lose your job your whilst on TWP you're in trouble plain and simple. As Roy as found out. I think all of the replies giving the OP a hard time here would be just a little miffed having been here 4 years and still working on a TWP.

Oh yeah I forgot how difficult it is to change jobs on a TWP sorry:eek: Just continue to do what you are doing because it's obviously working well for you:rofl::rofl:

Gremmie Jun 7th 2011 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9415181)

Kev why are you defending this guy, he's turned into a Mick Flynn, all bitter and twisted with conspiracy theories and mis treatment complexes. The government are out to get him and only him, its worse than 1984, Soviet Russia and Uganda all in one.
4 years on aTWP it must be every body elses fault, coz its most certainly not his :blink::blink: I can say all this coz I'm cosy in my Ivory Tower:p

Big Truck Jun 7th 2011 3:54 pm

The "wolfpack" at its worst!!!!!!!:frown:

Give the guy a break, I remember from his account on BTA? how he has been shafted since going over to Canada and no PR after fours years is a disgrace!!!!!!:thumbdown:

Gremmie Jun 7th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 9416625)
The "wolfpack" at its worst!!!!!!!:frown:

Give the guy a break, I remember from his account on BTA? how he has been shafted since going over to Canada and no PR after fours years is a disgrace!!!!!!:thumbdown:

And who's fault is that ????? not the CIC

kb33 Jun 7th 2011 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9416672)
who's fault is that ????? not the CIC

Read my first post , because it ain't the OP fault that's for sure ! Yeah wolfpack indeed :(

Gremmie Jun 7th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9416717)
Read my first post , because it ain't the OP fault that's for sure ! Yeah wolfpack indeed :(

hes been at Westcan about 2 years now ??? and why has he not come back on here to clarify the points made by Davie ??? or is their to much truth to what the "wolfpack" has claimed...