Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Take a HGV course in the UK before moving to Canada?

Take a HGV course in the UK before moving to Canada?

Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loblaw

Originally Posted by Debra186
Can you go over and take a course and then look for a job? How would you do that - go on a visitor's permit and then apply for a temporary work permit once you'd done the course or once you'd found someone to take you on? (Please excuse my ignorance!)
You need to have proof of legal entry to canada ( TWP etc) open bank account ,have say... for Manitoba a MB health card,a SIN#,before you can exchange your driving Licence ....sooo no Canadian driving licence ,no provisional driving licence so no class1 licence course!.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Take a HGV course in the UK before moving to Canada?

Ah OK so you need a job to get a TWP anyway so would have to find some other employment before paying out the money to do the change of career course? In which case, isn't it simpler to do the course in the UK and get a couple of years experience there and apply to Canada later, assuming they'll still need drivers by then, even though you'd have to pay all the fees again? Or are there jobs available that are easy enough to get on a TWP to just get over there.......?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Born_to_fish_68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Loblaw

Originally Posted by grant r
Originally Posted by Born_to_fish_68
I saw this before but don't the Canadian firms take all driving experience into consideration and isn't it better to have some training in trucks before making the move?

Also I'm pretty sure that on leaving the forces there are packages where you don't pay that much for the courses - unlike the £3K I'm looking at....
Well yes some experience is better than none but the UK HGV licence is not recognised in Canada, so you would have to do it all again once you got there. Some companies in Canada will take you without experience and some companies will train you up at there expense but then deduct it from your wages or you can go over and pay for your own training and your not tied to one company. Different horses for different courses
Hope this helps
I understand what you're saying but my three year plan is to pay £3k for UK HGV & CPC get three years driving experience (which will not only pay me back my outlay in UK but allow me to build up my Canada fund in prep for the move out).
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should look into going over to the US and doing the harvest as a truck driver for a couple of years.

A) This will get you a licence which can be transferred to a Canadian class 1
B) It will get you some experience and an idea if you like the job.
C) It will give you some savings as it's tax free work.

It's not for everyone, but it could save you the hassle of doing the HGV and DCPC.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Born_to_fish_68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sats72
You should look into going over to the US and doing the harvest as a truck driver for a couple of years.

A) This will get you a licence which can be transferred to a Canadian class 1
B) It will get you some experience and an idea if you like the job.
C) It will give you some savings as it's tax free work.

It's not for everyone, but it could save you the hassle of doing the HGV and DCPC.
I can see what you mean. However, I was planning on leaving the wife and kids in France while I do the courses (going back between them) and then do maximum shifts in the UK, this would give me time to go back to France in between.

I know I might need to go solo to Canada for six months or so but I don't fancy doing it before I really have to.

Paul

Last edited by Born_to_fish_68; Apr 10th 2013 at 4:17 am. Reason: repeating information on previous posts
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

spacemonkey will become famous soon enough

I don't wish to be a bubble popper but i feel a need to pre-warn you of the state in regards to experience in the UK.

Passing your test in the UK is one thing finding employment is another. You will find that the majority of companies require experience before they will entertain you, this includes blue chip agencies too. It's a horrible cycle to be in and it's one i struggled to get my head around at that time.

When i passed my test (Class one) i was under 25 and had less than two years experience. I was fortunate enough to land a job driving all over Europe and Africa by mere fluke lies and opportunity. After that company wound themselves up it was then hard to find someone who would offer me work in the UK as my experience was all out of the UK.

It's not impossible but its hard hard work to get the miles under your belt
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spacemonkey
I don't wish to be a bubble popper but i feel a need to pre-warn you of the state in regards to experience in the UK.

Passing your test in the UK is one thing finding employment is another. You will find that the majority of companies require experience before they will entertain you, this includes blue chip agencies too. It's a horrible cycle to be in and it's one i struggled to get my head around at that time.

When i passed my test (Class one) i was under 25 and had less than two years experience. I was fortunate enough to land a job driving all over Europe and Africa by mere fluke lies and opportunity. After that company wound themselves up it was then hard to find someone who would offer me work in the UK as my experience was all out of the UK.

It's not impossible but its hard hard work to get the miles under your belt
Or you can sign up with an agency after you pass your test. I started out with an agency after leaving the army back in 2004 as I had the class 1 licence but not enough experience. The only problem with that is when they don't give you work you don't earn.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't just do so training and you can drive a truck lol you need min of 2 yrs driving a class 1 IRT is nothing like driving in Canada or USA I had 9 yrs of driving in uk when I came out 9 yrs ago and trust this job not easy many have tried and gone back home to UK just because you been in navy don't mean this job sorry life style with suit you I think you need to think about a little more