Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Take a HGV course in the UK before moving to Canada?

Take a HGV course in the UK before moving to Canada?

Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:36 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all
Default Take a HGV course in the UK before moving to Canada?

Hi,

I am hoping to land (PR) with the family in Manitoba this August, my wife being the principle applicant. I am just about to leave the Navy after 26 years and have considered doing some sort of HGV course with my re-settlement package, if I don't use it I will loose it so thought about having HGV under my belt. Can you guys give me any advice on what would be the best course for me to do in preparing to land in Canada?

I have been thinking about becoming a security driver with FEDEX or something like that, its just an idea. Don't really want to pursue any kind of long haul career, just want a licence to drive HGV's.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

Andrew
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice
Default Re: Loblaw

Can you guys give me any advice on what would be the best course for me to do in preparing to land in Canada?
Don't do any sought of hgv course in the UK, it's not recognised in canada and you would have to do it all again once you land.
Hope this helps
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:28 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by grant r
Don't do any sought of hgv course in the UK, it's not recognised in canada and you would have to do it all again once you land.
Hope this helps
Hi,

Thanks for your advice will take it. What about a LGV driving course, no air brakes issues there I assume? Been watching ice road truckers........got a bit too much into it and thought about "Living The Dream"

Regards

Andrew
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi,

Thanks for your advice will take it. What about a LGV driving course, no air brakes issues there I assume? Been watching ice road truckers........got a bit too much into it and thought about "Living The Dream"

Regards

Andrew
Should think twice if that's your reasoning
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Regards

Andrew
Really, this is how you intend to prepare for a new life Stay in the Navy and live ya dream there.. Sorry but this just makes my blood boil this kind of attitude, its like you are making fun of our industry and way of life.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:02 am
Andrew

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Really, this is how you intend to prepare for a new life Stay in the Navy and live ya dream there.. Sorry but this just makes my blood boil this kind of attitude, its like you are making fun of our industry and way of life.
God get a life, it was meant to be a light hearted joke, I actually like watching ice road truckers, awesome job. I already have a job to go to in MB but thought I would compliment my driving skills with something else! I can't believe that you live in "Friendly Manitoba"!! Oh and by the way It makes my blood boil when people like you spout off about things you know nothing about, I am retiring from the navy, job done, can't stay anymore no choice, so before you shout your mouth off and give advice on career or whether someone should immigrate to Canada or not, get ya facts right Its people like you that should not be on this forum and one of the reasons I am leaving the UK, you should consider moving back Hope I don't bump into you in MB, depressing thought. Get that chip off ya shoulder and get a life, I speak my mind also eh

Last edited by chiefmissile; Feb 26th 2013 at 8:54 am. Reason: This guy gets my blood boiling, had to write more
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

God get a life, it was meant to be a light hearted joke, I actually like watching ice road truckers, awesome job. I already have a job to go to in MB but thought I would compliment my driving skills with something else! I can't believe that you live in "Friendly Manitoba"!! Oh and by the way It makes my blood boil when people like you spout off about things you know nothing about, I am retiring from the navy, job done, can't stay anymore no choice, so before you shout your mouth off and give advice on career or whether someone should immigrate to Canada or not, get ya facts right Its people like you that should not be on this forum and one of the reasons I am leaving the UK, you should consider moving back Hope I don't bump into you in MB, depressing thought. Get that chip off ya shoulder and get a life, I speak my mind also eh
So you watch Ice Road Truckers eh,May i recommend you start watching Popeye!!!

One thing is for sure you know nothing about Gremmie.One thing for sure is that people like him should be on here,What i have read on here from Gremmie over the last 6 or 7 years is very interesting to say the least.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:28 pm
Andrew

Originally Posted by meritor
So you watch Ice Road Truckers eh,May i recommend you start watching Popeye!!!

One thing is for sure you know nothing about Gremmie.One thing for sure is that people like him should be on here,What i have read on here from Gremmie over the last 6 or 7 years is very interesting to say the least.
Too late mate, watched Popeye years ago, just before I served my country for 26 years!

He ruffled my feathers, he wants to get a sense of humour, he started it! I was asking for some adult advice, not for childish replies
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take a HGV course in the UK before moving to Canada?

Try Dale Carnegie as your current approach doesn't seem to be working
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck in your adventure, you wont get much help from this quarter
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:51 pm
Andrew

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Good luck in your adventure, you wont get much help from this quarter
That's good, as I have had many PM's from others, who have given me the advice I need, oh and it seems your not as popular as you think, seems you have ruffled the feathers of a few other forum members with your bullish and dogmatic attitude
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Born_to_fish_68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope this helps
I saw this before but don't the Canadian firms take all driving experience into consideration and isn't it better to have some training in trucks before making the move?

Also I'm pretty sure that on leaving the forces there are packages where you don't pay that much for the courses - unlike the £3K I'm looking at....

Paul
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by Born_to_fish_68
I saw this before but don't the Canadian firms take all driving experience into consideration and isn't it better to have some training in trucks before making the move?

Also I'm pretty sure that on leaving the forces there are packages where you don't pay that much for the courses - unlike the £3K I'm looking at....
Well yes some experience is better than none but the UK HGV licence is not recognised in Canada, so you would have to do it all again once you got there. Some companies in Canada will take you without experience and some companies will train you up at there expense but then deduct it from your wages or you can go over and pay for your own training and your not tied to one company. Different horses for different courses
Hope this helps
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Debra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant futureDebra186 has a brilliant future

Some companies in Canada will take you without experience and some companies will train you up at there expense but then deduct it from your wages or you can go over and pay for your own training and your not tied to one company. Different horses for different courses
Hope this helps
Can you go over and take a course and then look for a job? How would you do that - go on a visitor's permit and then apply for a temporary work permit once you'd done the course or once you'd found someone to take you on? (Please excuse my ignorance!)
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Debra186
Can you go over and take a course and then look for a job? How would you do that - go on a visitor's permit and then apply for a temporary work permit once you'd done the course or once you'd found someone to take you on? (Please excuse my ignorance!)
I'm not 100% sure but I think you can go over and do the course, find a company with a lmo, take that and your contract from said company to the nearest border with America (they call it flag polling) you cross into America and come straight back, when you do this you ask for a twp at the border coming back and I think that's about it. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.