Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Straight truck driving in Canada

Straight truck driving in Canada

Old Oct 12th 2014, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

SirDaveWelch88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Straight truck driving in Canada

Hello everyone,

I'm really keen on moving to Canada to do truck driving. I currently have class 2 licence in the UK which I do believe is the equivalent of class 3 in Canada.
I know the main image of trucking is doing the long haul routes...but my question is...is it fesible to emigrate to Canada to do class 3 trucking?
(And then obviously I assume I can step up to class 1 later in my career!)
I've been looking all over the web for a defiant answer...but I keep getting contradicted on different websites so I'm getting confused!
Can any one help?
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Straight truck driving in Canada

I Had a Class 1 HGV on arriving in Canada (Ontario). No good here. Would have had to sit A to Z Test (Canadian equivalent) here to qualify. Expensive, these days around $8000 for a full course etc.

In other words you would be starting from scratch as if you had never been licenced to drive a truck before. UK HGV licences are not interchangable with Canadinan (Provincial) equivalents.

Last edited by macadian; Oct 12th 2014 at 3:08 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

SirDaveWelch88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
I Had a Class 1 HGV on arriving in Canada (Ontario). No good here. Would have had to sit A to Z Test here to qualify. Expensive, these days around $8000 for a full course etc.

In other words you would be starting from scratch as if you had never been licenced to drive a truck before. UK HGV licences are not interchangable with Canadina (Provincial) equivalents.
Dang it! I thought that might be the case...how did you get to Canada without having the Canadian licence?
I can't figure out how to get there so I can get the licence in the first place!
Do you have any advice?
Thanks
Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't got Class I experience then you're highly unlikely to get sponsorship and an employer prepared to go through the hassle and cost of hiring you.

Maybe look at getting a few year's Class 1 experience and then try?

Good luck.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirDaveWelch88
Hello everyone,

I'm really keen on moving to Canada to do truck driving. I currently have class 2 licence in the UK which I do believe is the equivalent of class 3 in Canada.
Driver's licenses are a provincial matter in Canada so it will vary by province.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

I know the main image of trucking is doing the long haul routes...but my question is...is it fesible to emigrate to Canada to do class 3 trucking?
(And then obviously I assume I can step up to class 1 later in my career!)
I've been looking all over the web for a defiant answer...but I keep getting contradicted on different websites so I'm getting confused!
Can any one help?
You might get more answers if this was moved to the Trucking forum. Maybe a mod could move it for you.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Dang it! I thought that might be the case...how did you get to Canada without having the Canadian licence?
I can't figure out how to get there so I can get the licence in the first place!
Do you have any advice?
Thanks
Trucking companies are hiring class one drivers, a few in BC right now, they do however want drivers with a minimum of 2 years class 1 experience. Not having a BC class 1 license is not important for the job offer, you could take the test once in Canada. However without the experience, you owuld not get a look in.

Your best option is to get a class 1 in the UK, drive for a few years then come out here and visit trucking companies looking for work.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

it was iirc 2yrs commercial driving experience that MB required ,,,no mention of class 1 or 2 .
once you are here you have to resit anyway and to be honest you will be treated as a rookie that knows nothing until you have proved yourself!
another thing you do not have to run into the usa to receive PR interprovincial in Canada would do fine..
well in MB anyway there is plenty of class2 work but you will have to bite the bullit and take a class1 job to start until you get nominated/PR.
james.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamesmc
it was iirc 2yrs commercial driving experience that MB required ,,,no mention of class 1 or 2 .
once you are here you have to resit anyway and to be honest you will be treated as a rookie that knows nothing until you have proved yourself!
another thing you do not have to run into the usa to receive PR interprovincial in Canada would do fine..
well in MB anyway there is plenty of class2 work but you will have to bite the bullit and take a class1 job to start until you get nominated/PR.
james.
Is this 2 years to be eligible for PNP in MB?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

well it used to be ....but better to check for yourself just to be sure.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

No.6 months with your employer in MB. Them you can apply for nomination.

You need 2 years experience for your prospective employer to get an LMIA in your name.

Read about the recent changes to the TFW program.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alandoug
No.6 months with your employer in MB. Them you can apply for nomination.

You need 2 years experience for your prospective employer to get an LMIA in your name.

Read about the recent changes to the TFW program.

Yep I get that, just wasn't sure if they were talking lmia's or pnp (I'm reading on the go lol)
What about adding a name to a pre approved LMIA, could they then refuse if the person they added didn't have relevant experience? I'm guessing this would be the case?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

As far as I am aware the LMIA is one name only & costs $1000. Which the employer must pay. Whether the application is granted or refused the employer loses the $1000. Without the relevant experience I doubt any employer would risk applying.

The employer must have no more than 30% TFWs, dropping to 20 next year. Otherwise the application will be refused.

Remember these are new rules & employers are protesting loudly at the changes. Don't be too surprised if there are more changes in the next few months. If there haven't been already, but just not made public.

Give it 6 months, things might change

Last edited by alandoug; Oct 13th 2014 at 4:33 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

This is what I was asking about:

Unnamed LMIA | ESDC

If you read, it doesn't say that the employee who's name would go against the lmia has to meet any eligibility requirements.
So while it might be difficult to find an employer who would hire someone with no experience, I THINK if they had an un named lmia, it would be possible
Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

The employer has to fulfill the criteria laid down in the rules they agree to abide by when being authorized to be part of the TFW program. Fines for non compliance can be upto $100,000.

What you suggest means the employer would have to lie on the application to get your name on the LMIA. I don't see anyone wanting to do it. Even if they did, you need to ask yourself if they are really the kind of company you should be working for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.