Still confused!

Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:22 pm
I've Started Over!

The Waters Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still confused!

Hi boys and girls

I'm still new to all this, so if i sound stupid, my apologies!

I'm still confused about getting me and my family to Canada from the UK.

If i get a jobs with a trucking company in Canada will they get me a TWP or do i?
If i get employment and i get a TWP one way or another how do i get PR?
If i go through a PNP will i get PR from that after a qualifying period?

The basics, I want to emigrate to canada with my family to work hard and have a better quality of life i've been through the CIC website and feel like i'm hitting a brick wall and getting worried that its a no-go.

So if there is anybody out there who has been an HGV driver in England and has emigrated to Canada with their family please please let me know how you did it

Many thanks,
Chris and Janet
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still confused!

Roughly as follows:

Find an employer willing & able to apply for an LMO for you. Have a read through the forum, there are afew.
Once granted the LMO, the way I did it was to present the LMO & signed contract of employment at immigration when you enter Canada (Halifax airport in my case). They will issue you with a 1 or 2 year TWP, you will only be allowed to work for the employer quoted on the permit. If you want to change, you need another LMO applied for by the intended employer, then leave the country (trip to US border suffices) & return to get another TWP issued.

Although I can't find a stipulated timescale anywhere, typically after about 6 months you apply to the province you are working in to nominate you for residency via the PNP programme. After a medical for all members of your family on the application & about another 6 months you are hopefully granted PR. It costs money, but you can do it all yourself. Though some use immigration agents.

Now before you dance round with joy, let me warn you that supporting a family on a truckers wage over here in the early days is not to be taken lightly. FOOD costs a bloody fortune as do phones & cable TV. Do your research very carefully & don't round down the figures. Only in Alberta can the Mrs work in the first 6 months.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:49 pm
I've Started Over!

Dancing Already,

Thanks for that, i see your in the maritimes, we were looking at either Ontario or New Brunswick and the latter is winning at the minute. What's the atlantic provinces like? Do you work for a good company?

Chris
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Waters Family
Dancing Already,

Thanks for that, i see your in the maritimes, we were looking at either Ontario or New Brunswick and the latter is winning at the minute. What's the atlantic provinces like? Do you work for a good company?

Chris
I work for Bulk Carriers on PEI about which much has been said already!!! Are they a good company? Well read the "life in Canada" thread.

Ontario do not do PNP/PR for truck drivers. Looks like NB then? Busy area, I was in Woodstock yesterday at a local truckstop. Adverts for drivers on the notice board.

Read: http://driverdaves.blogspot.com/
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:13 pm
I've Started Over!

Yeh i read Dave's blog, its pretty inspiring stuff. My wife read it too and said its a different world, "but defferent is better" she said. i'm happy enough with NB just got to get down to it now. How long did it take you from start to landing?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yeh i read Dave's blog, its pretty inspiring stuff. My wife read it too and said its a different world, "but defferent is better" she said. i'm happy enough with NB just got to get down to it now. How long did it take you from start to landing?
I have not landed yet, only been here 2 months. I have spoken to the girl that handles the PNP on the island & will apply in another 2 months.

If you mean once I decided to come to Bulk to being here with TWP ready to work? Bout 3 months. Can be quicker than that, depends on you. If you bring the family & all the pots & pans?...

Suggest you PM Davie_Mac he did it this way. His wife is seriously switched on, so take note....
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:27 pm
I've Started Over!

Excellent

Thanks very much

Chris & Janet.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi boys and girls

I'm still new to all this, so if i sound stupid, my apologies!

I'm still confused about getting me and my family to Canada from the UK.

If i get a jobs with a trucking company in Canada will they get me a TWP or do i?
If i get employment and i get a TWP one way or another how do i get PR?
If i go through a PNP will i get PR from that after a qualifying period?

The basics, I want to emigrate to canada with my family to work hard and have a better quality of life i've been through the CIC website and feel like i'm hitting a brick wall and getting worried that its a no-go.

So if there is anybody out there who has been an HGV driver in England and has emigrated to Canada with their family please please let me know how you did it

Many thanks,
Chris and Janet
If you are unable to understand the CIC web sites, which are pretty simple to follow , chripes its not rocket science