Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Some advice starting from scratch please

Some advice starting from scratch please

Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:02 am
Banned

Batista230 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice starting from scratch please

Hello all
There is a free news paper available in trucks stops in the UK call 'truck stop news'
They have an overseas appointment section for Canada
One company who is advertising in it want 5 1/2 grand to apparently sort all the visas out, teach me about Canadian law, put me through my test and put me into work
Now this seams to me to be silly money and I won’t buy it

I was wondering if there was another way round it
But first off I want to know what the job market is like over there
If its what it is like hear in Europe and all the jobs are a closed shop with 50 people chasing ever job then please tell me right away and I can forget this idea
But if there is a shortage of skilled drivers then Im game on for it
Or is it all messed up what with the recession and everything

I would like a job doing tramping continental type of thing
Where I will be living and sleeping in the cab all the time

I have limited knowledge about all this so please excuse me if any of my points below are incorrect

1. I believe the company sponsor a migrant worker to work for there firm
1 B. Do they sort the visa out or do I have to do it all

2. I believe you have to sit a HGV test in Canada and my UK HGV licnece will not do
2 B. Dose the company sort all this out or dose the company expect me to do the test
2 C. Am I expected to have my Canadian licnece before I arrive
2 D. Is the Canadian driving licecne much easer to pass then the test in the UK

3. Can you please give me some link to transport firms that are looking for migrant workers

4. What is the difference between European trucks and an American truck
I have been told the gear box is completely different

If I have any further question I will post them as soon as

Thanks
Batista230
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Some advice starting from scratch please

OK, so here's the thing.. You really need to be sure you want to move before setting things in motion.

The Work Permit and all the Immigration paperwork can be done as you go along. I, and others, have managed to do the whole paperwork exercise without too much trouble, so the paying of thousands is something I have had issue with for a long time.

The firm will usually provide training for your licence, although you may be asked to pay it back over time. It is a more straightforward test although some of the theory tests are a pain.. Once you have done it, you have it in the bag though.

The trucks are just longer, that is pretty much it. They are more cumbersome to drive and seem to be basic compared to a Scania, but they usually have all the equipment as standard.

The gearboxes are generally constant mesh so you just need to learn to declutch if you don't already know.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:57 pm
Banned

Thanks

Originally Posted by bobthedog
The Work Permit and all the Immigration paperwork can be done as you go along. I, and others, have managed to do the whole paperwork exercise without too much trouble, so the paying of thousands is something I have had issue with for a long time.
Do you have a link to where I can download the work permit and Immigration paperwork

Originally Posted by bobthedog
The firm will usually provide training for your licence, although you may be asked to pay it back over time. It is a more straightforward test although some of the theory tests are a pain.. Once you have done it, you have it in the bag though.
Do you have any links to companies that take on UK migrants
Old Jun 15th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Definately no need to pay a third party to sort your paperwork for you.Can only speak as someone living in Saskatchewan,there are lots of well paid driving jobs available but chances are you'll have to be sponsored by one particular carrier to begin with.I don't know your own circumstances,but that's how the majority of UK drivers started off here.
The driving test is relatively simple,circle check(pre trip inspection) and the air brake endorsement being a crucial factor.I crunched a few gears during my test,but had already told my tester that the transmissions here were totally alien to me and chances were that I'd be playing a few tunes en route.
Moving to Canada should not be done on a whim,think long and hard about the pros and cons,if you decide you really do want to make the move then commit yourself to making it work for you.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:41 am
Banned

OK which state or provence should I be looking at to get the work
Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batista230
OK which state or provence should I be looking at to get the work
Don't ask on here,we all live in the ideal world You'll be better off coming out for a recce trip and have a good look around.Obviously Alberta could be difficult nowadays,your choice matey.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:07 pm
Banned

After serching the web for hours and reading part of this forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489605
I have not found one transport company looking for migrant workers
The whole thing sounds a load of bollix and the useuall internet talk and no action
Looks like there are No jobs; probally best of leaving it then
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Hello all
There is a free news paper available in trucks stops in the UK call 'truck stop news'
They have an overseas appointment section for Canada
One company who is advertising in it want 5 1/2 grand to apparently sort all the visas out, teach me about Canadian law, put me through my test and put me into work
Now this seams to me to be silly money and I won’t buy it

I was wondering if there was another way round it
But first off I want to know what the job market is like over there
If its what it is like hear in Europe and all the jobs are a closed shop with 50 people chasing ever job then please tell me right away and I can forget this idea
But if there is a shortage of skilled drivers then Im game on for it
Or is it all messed up what with the recession and everything

I would like a job doing tramping continental type of thing
Where I will be living and sleeping in the cab all the time

I have limited knowledge about all this so please excuse me if any of my points below are incorrect

1. I believe the company sponsor a migrant worker to work for there firm
1 B. Do they sort the visa out or do I have to do it all

2. I believe you have to sit a HGV test in Canada and my UK HGV licnece will not do
2 B. Dose the company sort all this out or dose the company expect me to do the test
2 C. Am I expected to have my Canadian licnece before I arrive
2 D. Is the Canadian driving licecne much easer to pass then the test in the UK

3. Can you please give me some link to transport firms that are looking for migrant workers

4. What is the difference between European trucks and an American truck
I have been told the gear box is completely different

If I have any further question I will post them as soon as

Thanks
Batista230
KB33 will do all your paperwork and give you advice for a small fee, don't ever expect to get PR though
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Batista230 is a WELL KNOWN troll on Trucknet UK so give him a wide birth!!!!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Big Truck
ok thanks
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
KB33 will do all your paperwork and give you advice for a small fee, don't ever expect to get PR though
Actually my services are free BUT the information is accurate
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Thank-you BT,will do.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:28 am
Banned

thanks for a waste of time
buy buy
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

buy buy
BINGO!!!!!!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

buy buy

There once lived a troll
With a very scary smile
He had only one eye
And a breath
That you could smell it for a mile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.