Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Old Oct 20th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future
Default Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by Scott66
OOOPS Sorry for the offence but you have to admit all depending on the flavour of the month is where BAA people on here tend to head for....these guys were going to Yanke....H&R and all over the gaff then end up on the other side of Canada.

I am sorry again but I really really can not see how you can live off these fig's.

That would mean he only works 16 days out of a 31 day month.

I can explain how because the person they are talking about is me !

We had a good deposit on the house and these are our figures......

How many miles a day is that - even say at 600 that is 10hrs solid driving = approx $38.000 (£16.000) before Tax. Even at lower house prices I fail to see how single people let alone a family can live off that.
OK the houses are cheaper but you still have to stop converting into UK £ and the prices in Canada are more or less equal in $ to what we pay here in £ once you start earning $'s

Unless you go there & have no mortgage and a large savings account the fig's dont add up even the bloke in the TV trailer stated all the youngsters head off for better wages and the PEI immigration have put a bar on you applying for PNP for 6 months now because the majority of people are leaving once they get PR which they told me was because of the wages and PEI having one of the highest taxes in Canada they also told me when i saw them at the emmigrate expo that your partner CAN NOT work until you get PR so your are stuck on one wage until then which could take 12 months or more if things dont go smoothly.

What about:

Buying a car ( as soon as we got out here, brought the money with us,$5000 for an old minivan)
White goods to replace ( all large alliances needed to be brought cost about $5000 but this is because it was a brand new house)
Shopping about $150 a week
Fuel - Household $200 a month
Gas - Car = cheap $0.98 approx (yep give you that)
Health care insurance through work
Dental none as of yet
clothing as and when , not brought much yet
House Hold Insurance fire and theft $35

Electric $100
Car Insurance $100

Difficulty in gain proper credit (secure credit card but you still have to give them the money first) just about to get one through rbc because we have an account and mortgage with them

Holidays (doubt it) plan on florida next feb

FLights back to UK in case of emergency

etc etc etc
Please don't take all the above the wrong way it is just what i have been told and found out.

& yes i have been out in Canada quite a few times travelling all over.

We are not rolling in money and yes it would be nice if seafood paid more but we want the quality of life more than cash in the bank . It stays relative across canada (earn more then the houses cost more ). I would never recommend somebody come here to live or work because you need to see it and experience it. However I do not know anybody that has come here and not fell in love with the place (including lots of family from the uk who did not want us to leave !)

Last edited by lilacheart; Oct 20th 2007 at 6:08 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

The following is a post I "trolled" from the wages for truckers thread from an ex-SF driver:

(quote)
Start at Charlottetown terminal 18/04/07, go to Souris, PEI to collect load, 53.10 miles.
Take load to Sacramento, Pennsylvania, for delivery on 20/04/07, 1,051.00 miles.
Go to Richwood, New Jersey, pick up load, 162.00 miles.
Take load to Etobicoke, Ontario, for delivery on 22/04/07 514.60 miles.
Go to Cambridge, Ontario, pick up load on 23/04/07 56.00 miles.
Take load to Moncton, New Brunswick, for delivery on 25/04/07 1007.80 miles.
return to Charlottetown terminal on 25/04/07 113.80 miles.

Total miles 2,959.20, away from home for 8 days, Gross pay $976.53,
Take home pay $673.23, stoppages were, Tax $222.71, EI $17.58, CPP $45.01, Blue Cross $18.00. Approx $673.23 for 8 days away, is that good?
You work it out.

Bear in mind the miles they pay bears no relation to the miles you drive as they use a standard mileage chart for all trips, so if you get diverted or lost you don't get any extra. (unquote)

Is this the typical take home pay for 8 days away and can a family of 4 survive on this in PEI and have a decent "disposable income" without resorting to other savings if the wife can't work but we have no mortgage to pay?
Do Seafood Express pay for:
Border crossings
Meat inspections
Layovers
Live loading/unloading?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

I have no idea but I can find out when hubby gets home.

Loafy and chris may know, I am sure they will be watching this thread.

The longer runs are there for the drivers if they want them, we don't at the minute. I acknowledge that this is due to us having a good deposit and low mortgage.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can tell you that the last few runs he has done have typically been leave saturday night and back home tuesday night (if delayed wednesday morning.)

Once tax and such like are removed he brings home about $550 a week. Bonuses and holiday pay top it up but we are still getting our head round these

Kerry
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:23 pm
PREPARED

pete d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
I can tell you that the last few runs he has done have typically been leave saturday night and back home tuesday night (if delayed wednesday morning.)

Once tax and such like are removed he brings home about $550 a week. Bonuses and holiday pay top it up but we are still getting our head round these

Kerry
what about the toll crossing to get off the island does sf give your oh funds upfront or have they got a prepay system cause it looks quite exspensive to tale truck off the island
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I believe it is on a card/swipe system.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Kerry
Are you able to get by alright on $550/week being brought into the house? sounds awfully low to me!!
You must have to really budget being at home?
I take it your only running one car?
Are you able to eat out much?
You are not "dipping into" other savings brought from the UK at all?
I suppose there are runs when you could do say 6 days one week and maybe 4 days the next in order to bring in a little bit more with the extra miles, are the dispatchers "flexible" this way?

Can I ask a little favour and get your hubby to work out how much he is paid "hourly" as in the amount of time he's driving/loading/fuelling/cleaning etc ref his gross wages for the $550/week take home?
I have the feeling his "hourly" rate is going to scare the "Bejesus" out of me!!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Oct 21st 2007 at 4:16 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Big Truck
The following is a post I "trolled" from the wages for truckers thread from an ex-SF driver:

(quote)
Start at Charlottetown terminal 18/04/07, go to Souris, PEI to collect load, 53.10 miles.
Take load to Sacramento, Pennsylvania, for delivery on 20/04/07, 1,051.00 miles.
Go to Richwood, New Jersey, pick up load, 162.00 miles.
Take load to Etobicoke, Ontario, for delivery on 22/04/07 514.60 miles.
Go to Cambridge, Ontario, pick up load on 23/04/07 56.00 miles.
Take load to Moncton, New Brunswick, for delivery on 25/04/07 1007.80 miles.
return to Charlottetown terminal on 25/04/07 113.80 miles.

Total miles 2,959.20, away from home for 8 days, Gross pay $976.53,
Take home pay $673.23, stoppages were, Tax $222.71, EI $17.58, CPP $45.01, Blue Cross $18.00. Approx $673.23 for 8 days away, is that good?
You work it out.

Bear in mind the miles they pay bears no relation to the miles you drive as they use a standard mileage chart for all trips, so if you get diverted or lost you don't get any extra. (unquote)

Is this the typical take home pay for 8 days away and can a family of 4 survive on this in PEI and have a decent "disposable income" without resorting to other savings if the wife can't work but we have no mortgage to pay?
Do Seafood Express pay for:
Border crossings
Meat inspections
Layovers
Live loading/unloading?
The above in red is all they pay for. They also don't pay for breakdowns.

They also don't book any of your tests it's all up to you & if you aint got them sorted you aint gonna earn.

When I asked them about wages it was sort of side swiped by "Drivers can earn good money it's up to them" the above regarding Layovers etc had to be forced out of them when I enquired. Also when the tourists leave & the potatoe crops have been harvested there is a big slump in work where your earnings can virtually be halved which could last for up to 8 weeks.

So I have been told by other drivers there.

PS when the bridge is closed which has happened then your stuck and if your stuck you aint earning again.

Sorry but people did ask
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I will have a word with robin from seafood to check some of these questions out . I dont want to guess and make a mistake.

We have always said the wages at seafood are not great. We have not really had a normal month of bills yet as we moved into the house in July and have had visitors ever since. We have been spending more money than we normally would. We are doing ok, if things get rough we can ask for more hours or I could look for a job.

When we were in the uk we earnt £60,000 a year between us, wanted for nothing and could do what we wanted when we wanted to. The question is are we better off here? I say without a shadow of a doubt yes.

I do work to a budget but I don't panic about it, we quite often go out or have people over

The 5th wheel, boat, truck etc will happen one day but until then we will have to be content.

I understand this is a huge decison and of course finances are paramount but nothing is forever, if seafood are not as good as other companies we can move , if PEI becomes a shit hole we can move.

Working out the hourly rate will make you weep, it doesn't work like that here.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

chris12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe it is on a card/swipe system.
All tolls and border crossings are coverd by sea food. via electronic tags but you don't pay to get over borders anyway.
Seafood gave us $200 $100 usa $100 can. watching threads.
be home soon to reply to all.

Go get em Kerry. x
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that some people want 100% garentees on every thing,before they'll pluck up enough courage to actualy come over,find a job and start living here. I just wonder what some people expect from a truck drivers wage, my god we're just truckers not Bank managers or company executives on 200,000$ a year. Truckers dont earn great wages whether here or any where in the world, but its enough to live on tho. Its about time some of you come to terms with that insteed of constantly asking if we can live off our wages,or hoping to make tons of money and live like a king. The more you work the more you earn,the more you work the less free time you have,its about finding a happy medium. Nuff said
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Well you go away for a few days in the country or another country to be precise and look what happens, you lot start bitching about money, i know what i expect for a days pay to lifestyle that i have and so far it's good but it is early days and to soon to tell so can we leave it at that otherwise we will have another thread going to the wall like Lyndons did all because of the the wonga,lolly,readys and so on.

I like my job and the people who work there are good too, i dont mind doing the miles but i know for fact that Bob likes his time home so is prepared to sacrifice a little for that reason and stays on the shorter runs to do it. I myself will be away a little longer as i dont mind being away for sometime but only to a point and when they start to take the piss if and when this happens i will put the brakes on.

So far today tipped in Delaware and will reload for Toronto tomorrow and then for Moncton and then maybe back home for a short one and out again as the wife is coming out early so need to be here when she arrives, plenty of miles to keep the pennies rolling in eh.
Oh by the way just because they get more work does not mean that they need more drivers, most of you would know this already who have had experience in a traffic office as lets face it if we did the work we should be doing we could get rid of at least one driver from say 20 on a fleet.

Thanks Gremmie for the comment you left much appreciated and how are things in your neck of the woods.

Kerry can answer all your questions while we are away on the road and can't get internet access lmao. Go get em mate.

All the best to whoever you are,

LOAFY...
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loafy
Well you go away for a few days in the country or another country to be precise and look what happens, you lot start bitching about money, i know what i expect for a days pay to lifestyle that i have and so far it's good but it is early days and to soon to tell so can we leave it at that otherwise we will have another thread going to the wall like Lyndons did all because of the the wonga,lolly,readys and so on.

I like my job and the people who work there are good too, i dont mind doing the miles but i know for fact that Bob likes his time home so is prepared to sacrifice a little for that reason and stays on the shorter runs to do it. I myself will be away a little longer as i dont mind being away for sometime but only to a point and when they start to take the piss if and when this happens i will put the brakes on.

So far today tipped in Delaware and will reload for Toronto tomorrow and then for Moncton and then maybe back home for a short one and out again as the wife is coming out early so need to be here when she arrives, plenty of miles to keep the pennies rolling in eh.
Oh by the way just because they get more work does not mean that they need more drivers, most of you would know this already who have had experience in a traffic office as lets face it if we did the work we should be doing we could get rid of at least one driver from say 20 on a fleet.

Thanks Gremmie for the comment you left much appreciated and how are things in your neck of the woods.

Kerry can answer all your questions while we are away on the road and can't get internet access lmao. Go get em mate.

All the best to whoever you are,

LOAFY...
Hi Loafy,sorry to crash your thread like that but it realy gets my goat,when guys like to tear us and our chosen jobs apart,and quible about OUR wages and what we do to earn them. Oh well some things never change do they??
Good luck pal
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hi Loafy,sorry to crash your thread like that but it realy gets my goat,when guys like to tear us and our chosen jobs apart,and quible about OUR wages and what we do to earn them. Oh well some things never change do they??
Good luck pal

Spot on.We will never get rich driving them and sometimes you don't get rich even owning them.

Deanno
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

wife is coming out early so need to be here when she arrives
Oh well there goes the bachealor lifestyle back to normal living....where is Robin gonna doss down now then HAHAHA poor bloke is gonna have to go home....what about Chris he's gonna feel his arm has been chopped off or is his OH on route also....you 2 aint gonna know what hit you.

How are the dogs thought her arrival was delayed because of impending delivery Hope nothing is wrong

Total star she is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.