Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Old Feb 19th 2020, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

JillTr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Hi,
I posted to this forum in general and a helpful moderator gave me very useful information and reminded me there is a special trucking forum so I'm re-posting an edited version here, so all input would be most welcome, please. I have read the wikis: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada and https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...licence-Alberta but would find it invaluable to hear also from others on the subject -

My nephew will be in Edmonton from mid March on a 2 year working holiday visa (he intends to emigrate to Canada) and has saved up sufficient money to do his MELT training (which we learnt more about from you good people) in addition to all the other money he'll need. He intends to do the training with what appears to be an excellent training organisation in Edmonton and he knows the International DP is not sufficient and that he will have to get a Canadian (Alberta) driving licence first. I can find official information like this: (taken from: https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...ces.aspx#toc-2 ) but would find it invaluable to hear from expats on the subject -

"To exchange your licence for an Alberta driver’s licence, you must:
  • hand in your valid licence that is equivalent or higher than an Alberta Class 5 or 6 licence to a registry agent
  • provide proof of 2 or more years of driving experience, if you want to be issued a full Class 5 licence
  • provide proof that you live in Alberta
  • provide proof of residence in Canada
You’ll be given a Class 5 or 6 driver’s licence based on the exchange agreement (not all jurisdictions allow the exchange of a motorcycle licence-Class 6)."

Q.1. I assume that a standard British driving licence is equivalent or to Alberta Class 5 or 6? (I assume Class 5 is good enough to undergo MELT training?) (He also has UK Class 1 and 2)

Q.2. When he first gets to Edmonton, he will have to go into a hotel and so he'll have to wait until he gets permanent accommodation before he can exchange his licence - any advice/ideas about this would be very helpful.

Q.3 If he returns to Britain for a holiday during his 2 year visa, will he be able to drive in the UK, having surrendered his UK licence in Canada? (I'm assuming he wouldn't ask for a duplicate licence (as it says in the Wiki) for such short trips?)

Q.4 The moderator also gave me information on the AINP Employer-Driven Stream – Semi-Skilled Worker Category - Industry: Trucking Eligible occupations: • Long-Haul Truck Driver (NOC 7511) - but I think this is now closed??

Any and all advice/input would be very welcome and I thank you for giving me your time.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 3:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

If you're talking about driving a car in the UK on a Canadian licence then yes, and in fact he should use his Canadian licence anyway, even of for some reason he still had his/a British licence, and there is at least one very good practical reason to do so - in the event that he is caught by a speed trap camera, a Canadian licence isn't going to be endorsed with points; he'll still have to pay the fine though! I only ever use my US license when visiting the UK, even though I still have my UK licence in my possession, and there is no down-side to using a foreign licence, with the possible exception that a car rental agency might question his ability to drive an RHD car with manual transmission.

I don't know about driving a truck in the UK on a Canadian licence.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Rules about having Alberta driving licence / MELT training

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're talking about driving a car in the UK on a Canadian licence then yes, and in fact he should use his Canadian licence anyway, even of for some reason he still had his/a British licence, and there is at least one very good practical reason to do so - in the event that he is caught by a speed trap camera, a Canadian licence isn't going to be endorsed with points; he'll still have to pay the fine though! I only ever use my US license when visiting the UK, even though I still have my UK licence in my possession, and there is no down-side to using a foreign licence, with the possible exception that a car rental agency might question his ability to drive an RHD car with manual transmission.

I don't know about driving a truck in the UK on a Canadian licence.
Interesting point!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JillTr
Hi,
I posted to this forum in general and a helpful moderator gave me very useful information and reminded me there is a special trucking forum so I'm re-posting an edited version here, so all input would be most welcome, please. I have read the wikis: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada and https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Drive...licence-Alberta but would find it invaluable to hear also from others on the subject -

My nephew will be in Edmonton from mid March on a 2 year working holiday visa (he intends to emigrate to Canada) and has saved up sufficient money to do his MELT training (which we learnt more about from you good people) in addition to all the other money he'll need. He intends to do the training with what appears to be an excellent training organisation in Edmonton and he knows the International DP is not sufficient and that he will have to get a Canadian (Alberta) driving licence first. I can find official information like this: (taken from: https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-...ces.aspx#toc-2 ) but would find it invaluable to hear from expats on the subject -

"To exchange your licence for an Alberta driver’s licence, you must:
  • hand in your valid licence that is equivalent or higher than an Alberta Class 5 or 6 licence to a registry agent
  • provide proof of 2 or more years of driving experience, if you want to be issued a full Class 5 licence
  • provide proof that you live in Alberta
  • provide proof of residence in Canada
You’ll be given a Class 5 or 6 driver’s licence based on the exchange agreement (not all jurisdictions allow the exchange of a motorcycle licence-Class 6)."

Q.1. I assume that a standard British driving licence is equivalent or to Alberta Class 5 or 6? (I assume Class 5 is good enough to undergo MELT training?) (He also has UK Class 1 and 2)

Q.2. When he first gets to Edmonton, he will have to go into a hotel and so he'll have to wait until he gets permanent accommodation before he can exchange his licence - any advice/ideas about this would be very helpful.

Q.3 If he returns to Britain for a holiday during his 2 year visa, will he be able to drive in the UK, having surrendered his UK licence in Canada? (I'm assuming he wouldn't ask for a duplicate licence (as it says in the Wiki) for such short trips?)

Q.4 The moderator also gave me information on the AINP Employer-Driven Stream – Semi-Skilled Worker Category - Industry: Trucking Eligible occupations: • Long-Haul Truck Driver (NOC 7511) - but I think this is now closed??

Any and all advice/input would be very welcome and I thank you for giving me your time.
Hi, Q1. Uk & Class5 same.
He will also need to do a medical before the MELT, you use to have to do the computer test and air brake course and test but I assume that both will be included in MELT.
The best one’s to ask are the training school.

Q2. Yes, he needs an address.

Q3. He can use his Alberta licence in the UK for a car but not the Class1.

Q4. I’ve no idea.
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neilg14
Hi, Q1. Uk & Class5 same.
He will also need to do a medical before the MELT, you use to have to do the computer test and air brake course and test but I assume that both will be included in MELT.
The best one’s to ask are the training school.

Q2. Yes, he needs an address.

Q3. He can use his Alberta licence in the UK for a car but not the Class1.

Q4. I’ve no idea.
Thank you, very useful. Yes, as you say, the airbrake test can be with the MELT and he'll be asking the training school for a list of relevant doctors. Useful he can use Canadian licence in UK. Thanks