Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Recommend a trucking company to work for

Recommend a trucking company to work for

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

rogsheff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommend a trucking company to work for

Hi guys

I am currently in the UK, but have PR status and hope to be in Canada in the near future, once the house is sold !

Just out of interest, I was watching a program on Eddie Stobbart Ltd, the UK’s largest independent logistics company, in particular the trucking side of the business.

Who would you recommend as one of the leading trucking companies in Canada to work for and why ? Of particular interest are ones based in BC.

I am not just thinking of the size of company, but which company values or looks after its drivers and takes into consideration that a person also has a life outside of driving a truck !

Thanks for your time.
Roger

Last edited by rogsheff; Feb 22nd 2009 at 4:55 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recommend a trucking company to work for

Are you a trucker in the UK? What do you earn a living at in the UK
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
Are you a trucker in the UK? What do you earn a living at in the UK
Up until recently I was in general haulage and was earning £8 per hour. Not brilliant and worked long hours, which to a certain extent is the nature of the game, but the long hours finally got to me and I called it a day.

I now have the opportunity to go to Canada and trucking is something I would like to consider again, but wanted to get a feel from the truckers themselves of what their own experiences of companies in Canada were.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

fedupgb is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will find the hours as long, if not longer .
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Yup the hours are as long in Canada, But easier hours as the roads are nowhere near as congested , As you already have PR the choices are endless so its a case of "suck it an see " as one man's meat is another man's poison.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Prairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant future

Hi

Canadian companies are like UK companies..some good some bad!!!

I currently work approximatley 60 hours a week Monday to Friday...away from home one/two nights a week and earning $1000 a week B4 tax. The work is easier than UK work due to less congestion, but winter time makes the job ten times harder when your not behind the wheel...frozen wheels, stiff dollies,wheels spinning on ice, frozen fingers, reefer won`t start....its not nice when its cold..but that is life in the Prairies in winter time.

Good luck

Originally Posted by rogsheff
Hi guys

I am currently in the UK, but have PR status and hope to be in Canada in the near future, once the house is sold !

Just out of interest, I was watching a program on Eddie Stobbart Ltd, the UK’s largest independent logistics company, in particular the trucking side of the business.

Who would you recommend as one of the leading trucking companies in Canada to work for and why ? Of particular interest are ones based in BC.

I am not just thinking of the size of company, but which company values or looks after its drivers and takes into consideration that a person also has a life outside of driving a truck !

Thanks for your time.
Roger
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:43 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

That programme about Eddie Stobart was good wasnt it? I certainly wouldnt moan at their lifestyle.....jet planes,racehorses,fast cars etc fab!!!

I liked their attitude, they hadnt forgot where they came from
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Prairie Pete
, stiff dollies,

mmmm

Sounds Good...if your into that sort of thing that is......ahem ahem

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Thanks for your time.
Roger
I suggest you contact some of the companies here...
http://www.bctrucking.com/services/l...php?f=Trucking
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

A useful link, thanks Gremmie.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

I am not against the idea of working away. I am a single guy, so it is not such a big deal, but it would be good to think I could have some time for me ! That is one of the reasons for asking the question, to try and gauge what companies are the ' best ', who value their drivers and actually, given that flexibility and consideration, I would be more than willing, to go the extra mile for them when necessary. My experience of driving in the UK has been expecting a lot of the driver, for very little in return.

Having spent over a £1k to get my Class 1, the other concern is the outlay for re-training. Given what I have said above, I was hoping there would be companies, prepared to contribute to the training. For example, meeting half the cost or paying for it on the understanding you stay with the company for say, a minimum of two years or you have to pay it back. Deductions from your wage. Another option, if I was offered a job with a trucking company, I would be prepared to pay for it and when I passed, the company would pay me back. The main thing is, knowing and an also incentive, that there is a job at the end of it. It is a lot to pay out on the off chance there may be a job, especially in this economic climate.

Maybe there is no chance of the above happening and I am being unrealistic. Perhaps someone can enlighten me to the realities !
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I am not against the idea of working away. I am a single guy, so it is not such a big deal, but it would be good to think I could have some time for me ! That is one of the reasons for asking the question, to try and gauge what companies are the ' best ', who value their drivers and actually, given that flexibility and consideration, I would be more than willing, to go the extra mile for them when necessary. My experience of driving in the UK has been expecting a lot of the driver, for very little in return.

Having spent over a £1k to get my Class 1, the other concern is the outlay for re-training. Given what I have said above, I was hoping there would be companies, prepared to contribute to the training. For example, meeting half the cost or paying for it on the understanding you stay with the company for say, a minimum of two years or you have to pay it back. Deductions from your wage. Another option, if I was offered a job with a trucking company, I would be prepared to pay for it and when I passed, the company would pay me back. The main thing is, knowing and an also incentive, that there is a job at the end of it. It is a lot to pay out on the off chance there may be a job, especially in this economic climate.

Maybe there is no chance of the above happening and I am being unrealistic. Perhaps someone can enlighten me to the realities !
Bite the bullet pal and pay for the Canadain Class1 yourself, $1000 bucks should do it,,, i wouldnt want to be "Owing" a company... but these guys do have an up and running system for people like your self http://www.cpx.ca/pages/careers-at-c...r-training.php

Might be worth a call
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Recommend a trucking company to work for

Thanks Gremmie. That is just the kind of thing I was wanting. You are obviously the man in the know !
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Gremmie. That is just the kind of thing I was wanting. You are obviously the man in the know !

How very true
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Ohhh! yer head will be massive now Gremmie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.