Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Is it realistic for someone in my position?

Is it realistic for someone in my position?

Old Jun 30th 2020, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

TruckerWannabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it realistic for someone in my position?

I'm 35 years old and have been a professional trucker for 5 years. 1 year as a class 2 driver and 3 years as a class 1 driver.

I want to move to Canada and drive long haul over there and I know with coronavirus going on I probably won't be able to move anytime soon but which Canadian truck companies regularly hire foreign drivers?

I don't have a Canadian wife or any connection, I've never studied or worked in Canada before so my only option is to try and find a Canadian employer to give me a job offer so I can get a work permit.

Another question, did you fly over there on a visitor visa and get your CDL yourself or did the employer that gave you the work permit also offer to pay for your CDL? How does that work these days for wannabe expats? $8000 is a lot of money for the MELT course but I'll pay it myself if I have to I don't mind.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it realistic for someone in my position?

Before I went out to Canada I had never been or new anyone out there, I saw and Ad in the truck stop news and the trucking magaines many years ago and started making enquiry, I then went out for some Interviews with companies out there and was hooked. I got sponsored by a Company in Canada so they paid for my licence I was locked into them for 2 years after that I could do what I wanted. Now 10 years later I love driving trucks in Canada and USA.
If i was you I would email some companies in Canada to see if they are taking on foreign driver you wont know unless you ask , I know there are a few on the east coast still taking on drivers.