British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Quickest way to get a job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/quickest-way-get-job-815101/)

ac1 Nov 13th 2013 10:35 pm

Quickest way to get a job

What is the quickest and easiest way to get a truck driving job in Canada?

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 Nov 14th 2013 1:46 pm

Re: Quickest way to get a job

Originally Posted by ac1 (Post 10990188)
What is the quickest and easiest way to get a truck driving job in Canada?

I'm fairly certain there is no quick n easy method!

Meet the criteria, apply to companies with LMO's or willing and able to get them and go through the process!

flat to the mat Nov 15th 2013 2:00 am

There isn't one , only fools rush in , then bleat on about how crap Canada can be when they're back in Blighty .
Do you're research , then do it again .

John a trains Dec 11th 2013 2:42 pm

I would say both Fluffy & flat to the mat are right.
I also think that it depends on which province you wish to go to as the rules change from province to province and almost day to day, or seems like that at times.
I can let you know about New Brunswick if your interested.
I did hear that since July 2013 you will need to sit an English test for every province,even for a LMO .

christmasoompa Dec 11th 2013 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by John a trains (Post 11031284)
I did hear that since July 2013 you will need to sit an English test for every province,even for a LMO .

Not sure where you heard that, but it's not correct. No IELTS is required for a LMO, but they are required for semi-skilled and low-skilled applicants under the PNP, as well as for all applicants under other PR routes such as FSW (although a truck driver wouldn't qualify as a FSW anyway).

HTH.

ammigill Dec 12th 2013 8:12 am

The easiest way and quickest way to get a trucking job are
First of all need to eligible for applying the driving jobs
Approaching companies with curriculum vitae
Class D license is required for driving a straight trucks
Class A license is required for driving articulated trucks.

Milanuk Dec 13th 2013 8:58 pm

It took 6 weeks since my first contact with Timeline untill me arrived in Canada. Is that quick enaugh? :-) Of course I did some research...mainly on this web site.

man240utd Dec 24th 2013 3:56 pm

Is that Timeline Logistics ? How you liking it with them?

jamesmc Dec 24th 2013 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11031750)
Not sure where you heard that, but it's not correct. No IELTS is required for a LMO, but they are required for semi-skilled and low-skilled applicants under the PNP, as well as for all applicants under other PR routes such as FSW (although a truck driver wouldn't qualify as a FSW anyway).

HTH.

yup not required for a LMO at the moment but you wont get PR without IELTS.

christmasoompa Dec 24th 2013 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 11050419)
yup not required for a LMO at the moment but you wont get PR without IELTS.

Not correct, there are many routes to PR where IELTS isn't required. It just depends on the route used.

HTH.

jamesmc Dec 24th 2013 5:47 pm

very true but i would say most folk on the trucking forum are on a TWP ..and no higher education than high school. and to receive nomination for pnp ,well in MB anyway requires IELTS now.
jimmy.

christmasoompa Dec 24th 2013 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 11050478)
very true but i would say most folk on the trucking forum are on a TWP ..and no higher education than high school. and to receive nomination for pnp ,well in MB anyway requires IELTS now.
jimmy.

It is required for employment based PNP if in semi-skilled/low-skilled jobs, as I mentioned above, but it's not always required for truck drivers - many will apply for PR under a spouses job, or a different type of PNP stream such as the CIS in NS. No IELTS required then.

So it does very much depend on the route used, so 'you won't get PR without IELTS' isn't correct for all and I just wanted to clarify for the sake of anybody reading.

:)