qualifications/red seal

Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

rohmanns is on a distinguished road
Default qualifications/red seal

hi
i know to work in alberta as truck/bus mechanic you need red seal license.what info i am struggling with is do you need to re sit an equivalency exam to exchange city&guilds to canadian certificate prior to sitting the red seal or can you apply to sit red seal straight away.any info appreciated.thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

taff trucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: qualifications/red seal

Hi Rohmanns
Thats a very good question our fitter in work used to work in Alberta I'll ask him and see if he can shed any light on this subject if one of the other guys dont come back with the answer first.

From what I understand, british qualifications in some areas are not recognised and you would have to take the Canadian equivilent, but in your case i'm not sure, but i will ask the question for you.

Steve
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

hi taff trucker,
thanks for that.
one guy has told us that if we take the exam to make city&guild equivalent to an albertan certificate then that should also cover us for the red seal,he also said you only get 2 attempts to pass or you can no longer work,thats confused us even more!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

taff trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rohmanns
hi taff trucker,
thanks for that.
one guy has told us that if we take the exam to make city&guild equivalent to an albertan certificate then that should also cover us for the red seal,he also said you only get 2 attempts to pass or you can no longer work,thats confused us even more!
Hi Rohmanns

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Yes you do need to sit the Red Seal exam, Canada does not recognise the City & Guilds, i'm not sure how many attempts you get at passing it though only that when you pass it, it is transferable to any province in Canada.
Hope this helps.

Steve
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

thanks steve,
lets hope the one set of exams is all OH needs to sit..