Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

A positive H&R thread for a change lol ;)

A positive H&R thread for a change lol ;)

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A positive H&R thread for a change lol ;)

I really don't post on here that much any more because of the constant squabbling but I finally decided to. My OH works at H&R and has done for 9 months....and is very HAPPY with them!! Shocking news I know but maybe opinions need to be balanced out.

I stayed back in the UK for just over 7 months whilst my OH started work with H&R....mainly because I worried about things after reading so much negative stuff about them. In the whole 9 months, my OH has had 2 blips with differences in opinion with his dispatcher....this has now been sorted with a change of fleet. He also gets regular good miles too and does not spend days sitting around for loads. I have been here with the children for 5 weeks....and my OH has been away for 2 1/2 weeks of that time....but that was our choice. We discussed this back in the UK and we knew that he would have to stay out for weeks at a time as I cant work until the youngest goes to school. This may not suit every family like it does for us....this is not the kind of job to get if you want to be home every weekend, not if you want to make money. Luckily for us I guess but I am quite capable of looking after myself and I don't need my OH home every weekend robbing all the bed

Anyway, no doubt some people will assume that my OH sucks up etc because he is happy at H&R but the last time I checked, my hubby's nose was a peachy/pink colour with no trace of a hint of brown I may be shaking my pom poms for H&R but they really have not shafted my OH in any orifice since he has been here.

Anyway, I've said my bit. The can of worms is now open for business
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A positive H&R thread for a change lol ;)

Originally Posted by farjojo71
I really don't post on here that much any more because of the constant squabbling but I finally decided to. My OH works at H&R and has done for 9 months....and is very HAPPY with them!! Shocking news I know but maybe opinions need to be balanced out.

I stayed back in the UK for just over 7 months whilst my OH started work with H&R....mainly because I worried about things after reading so much negative stuff about them. In the whole 9 months, my OH has had 2 blips with differences in opinion with his dispatcher....this has now been sorted with a change of fleet. He also gets regular good miles too and does not spend days sitting around for loads. I have been here with the children for 5 weeks....and my OH has been away for 2 1/2 weeks of that time....but that was our choice. We discussed this back in the UK and we knew that he would have to stay out for weeks at a time as I cant work until the youngest goes to school. This may not suit every family like it does for us....this is not the kind of job to get if you want to be home every weekend, not if you want to make money. Luckily for us I guess but I am quite capable of looking after myself and I don't need my OH home every weekend robbing all the bed

Anyway, no doubt some people will assume that my OH sucks up etc because he is happy at H&R but the last time I checked, my hubby's nose was a peachy/pink colour with no trace of a hint of brown I may be shaking my pom poms for H&R but they really have not shafted my OH in any orifice since he has been here.

Well said
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Funnily enough a friend of mine went to H&R WITH PR. He has been in Canada for 3 years now. His comments are also good, but has only been there 6 weeks.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farjojo71

Well done to you all,it's not such a bad life,the OH only has to stick at it until PR then you're home and dry.No doubt some cynical so and so will beg to differ but that's up to them,don't pay too much attention to what's on here.Time to enjoy life eh?
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:45 am
Account Closed

ukkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow a 2 day old thread on H&R without the usual bashing and what have you, this must be a new record It's almost scary but it probably won't last much longer although it would be nice for a change
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

I blame H&R for the ash cloud, the BA cabin crew strike, the Gulf oil spill and the hung Parliament. My father thinks they bear full responsibility for his old age, and my daughter suspects that they're behind her spots. The bas***ds!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

One of their drivers even helped me back into an tight unloading spot once... yeh so there...he was a happy chap
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

NakMak is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: A positive H&R thread for a change lol ;)

Hello would someone be so kind as to advise me.

What are my hopes of escaping this loony bin we were once proud of
and obtaining employment as a long haul driver in canada at 56 years old.

i have all the relevent checks and experience (16 yrs uk europe).
its just my age im worried about

its a shame but this country has really gone to the dogs now and i still got to work to get something to live on when i retire thats if im actually allowed to.

many thanks john
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NakMak
Hello would someone be so kind as to advise me.

What are my hopes of escaping this loony bin we were once proud of
and obtaining employment as a long haul driver in canada at 56 years old.

i have all the relevent checks and experience (16 yrs uk europe).
its just my age im worried about

its a shame but this country has really gone to the dogs now and i still got to work to get something to live on when i retire thats if im actually allowed to.

many thanks john
I'd say very good mate. The eldest guy I heard of coming out was 65!!!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

right then many thanks for that i can put an effort into it then
i have applied to all different companies but cant get a sensible response about the age thing.

thanks again bloke
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NakMak
right then many thanks for that i can put an effort into it then
i have applied to all different companies but cant get a sensible response about the age thing.

thanks again bloke
I think LMOs in the west are still difficult, except H&R. Maritimes seem to be alot easier.

Clarkes Van division & Ayr Motors are looking & can get LMOs. Bulk on PEI also.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Nice one thanks
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

click on my name and go to my home page for details to apply for Ayr Motor in New Brunswick.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:16 am
Just Joined

forzacfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Well done to you all,it's not such a bad life,the OH only has to stick at it until PR then you're home and dry.No doubt some cynical so and so will beg to differ but that's up to them,don't pay too much attention to what's on here.Time to enjoy life eh?
Thank God someone on here has a positive prospective towards Canada driving, my mates brother has been with H&R now over 3 years plus and he loves working for them.

Im talking to them at the moment, about possibly going out and giving it a try, but I will wait and make a decision once Ive spoken personally to my mates brother - from the Horses mouth so to speak.

I will just add, dont believe everything a recruiter tells you, I found this out when I was living in NC, the job sounded wonderful - upto $60,000 (US) a year running regional 5 states, blah blah blah, 8 months later burnt out and physically / mentally exhausted - all I got was 'keep those wheels turning and your earning' no one mentioned driving 15+ hours a day, and then hand balling the entire load off (15 Ton ) over 14 stops - I worked in food service - and NEVER again, it was supposed to be 2 on 2 off, ended up being 3/4 of a day off and 2 on.

Like I said get all your info from freinds and co workers if possible before making the big leap and you wont go far wrong.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

How true you are,this country is the same as others in many respects,but if you are a hard worker the benefits are for the taking.If you want to work and are determined ENOUGH,as opposed to the people that say "it sounded like a good idea at the time etc",you'll have a great life here.Want to stand around all day bitching and moaning outside Tim Hortons,might as well stay where you are.
Thank-you and goodnight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.