Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

ok, so where do i start ???

ok, so where do i start ???

Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:00 am
Just Joined

bigbluebear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ok, so where do i start ???

Hi , Im a class 1 driver in the UK (Scotland) , Im thinkin of tryin my luck in Canada (Alberta area) I also have 8yrs HydroVac experience and a UK HI-AB certificate, I just dont know where to start , theres to much info on Wiki and all the other malarkey , just needin somebody to point me in the right direction here !
Thanks William
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok, so where do i start ???

Originally Posted by bigbluebear
Hi , Im a class 1 driver in the UK (Scotland) , Im thinkin of tryin my luck in Canada (Alberta area) I also have 8yrs HydroVac experience and a UK HI-AB certificate, I just dont know where to start , theres to much info on Wiki and all the other malarkey , just needin somebody to point me in the right direction here !
Thanks William
Go this way, Read every thing in Wiki, then read every thing on the Canada immigration web site. Then come back here for the fine tunning, sorry pal their are no short cuts.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

This is a pretty good place to start ...

www.westcanbulktransport.com

ESP if you want to move to Alberta ( best province )
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kb33

so speaketh the man that has seen 2 provinces and would give his right arm to live in BC
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

OK put it this way .. If I were starting again I would still use Westcan and Alberta to get into Canada , Anything east of Calgary doesn't interest me (mainly because of the harsh winters ) and I have seen Saskatchewan and would probably think Manitoba looks about the same , Working with a guy from Toronto and don't like what I hear about Ontario .. Job prospects etc
The Yukon is nice but a bit remote
At the moment the money and prospects are in Alberta and an ideal place to start a new life.
BC figure's in my retirement plans , Maybe the Island , dunno yet , But I could hardly advise the OP to start looking there

Last edited by kb33; Mar 8th 2011 at 10:52 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigbluebear
Thanks William
If you have the points for immigration, you could give it a try. There are plenty of truck driver jobs in most places, and especially up north in Alberta round Fort Mac.

Just speaking out of the proverbial, but you should check if you can trade in your UK license directly for a class 1 here. You might be able to or might not.
It's only recently as far as I know that you were able to swap UK licenses. In the good old days in the 90s you had to retake your test completely and start out as a noobie again.

As to work. It might be easiest to get a driving job in fort mac but be warned it's brutal trying to get a place to stay up there and it REALLY is freezing. (Those who think Calgary is cold haven't seen anything compared to Fort Mac).

But if you manage to get something and work away at it for a couple of years to get the all-important "Canadian Experience" then it could be worth it.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by xxdb
If you have the points for immigration, you could give it a try. There are plenty of truck driver jobs in most places, and especially up north in Alberta round Fort Mac.

Just speaking out of the proverbial, but you should check if you can trade in your UK license directly for a class 1 here. You might be able to or might not.
It's only recently as far as I know that you were able to swap UK licenses. In the good old days in the 90s you had to retake your test completely and start out as a noobie again.

As to work. It might be easiest to get a driving job in fort mac but be warned it's brutal trying to get a place to stay up there and it REALLY is freezing. (Those who think Calgary is cold haven't seen anything compared to Fort Mac).

But if you manage to get something and work away at it for a couple of years to get the all-important "Canadian Experience" then it could be worth it.
Your UK Class 1 is not valid any where in Canada, you must retake the test here, and depending on which province you come too also your car licences.
As for working up in good ol Fort Mac that boat has long sailed, just find a normal trucking company in a normal town or city.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also there isn't a points system for truckers , Its all done under PNP , Which involves getting a job offer from a suitable employer who then applies for an LMO which enables the driver to obtain a work permit upon entry to Canada .

So all in all a pretty clueless post xxdb
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by xxdb

"Just speaking out of the proverbial, "
He wants facts ( a forum search would be a start) not hot air!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

And be stuck in Canada all winter and never see the USA
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
And be stuck in Canada all winter and never see the USA

That was fine by me , Only time I want to see the USA is when I'm on holiday .

Plus Westcan do a 6-3 shift now , So its maximum 5 nights away
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Plus Westcan do a 6-3 shift now , So its maximum 5 nights away
Now that would suit me
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

They do seem to have sorted out most of their problems, unlike the other major recruiters
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
They do seem to have sorted out most of their problems, unlike the other major recruiters
Yeah they are the Marmite of Trucking companies , Some guys been there years , others hate them.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

HeadingNorth is an unknown quantity at this point

OK put it this way .. If I were starting again I would still use Westcan and Alberta to get into Canada , Anything east of Calgary doesn't interest me (mainly because of the harsh winters ) and I have seen Saskatchewan and would probably think Manitoba looks about the same , Working with a guy from Toronto and don't like what I hear about Ontario .. Job prospects etc
The Yukon is nice but a bit remote
At the moment the money and prospects are in Alberta and an ideal place to start a new life.
BC figure's in my retirement plans , Maybe the Island , dunno yet , But I could hardly advise the OP to start looking there
I would avoid Alberta to come to Canada.
Right now it's taking 13 months minimum to get your PNP,add the 6 months working for the company and you're lucky if you get your PNP much before 2 years here-then you can start the long haul for PR which is currently taking well over a year at Buffalo.
Saskatchewan has easier rules for PNP and is taking off with oil,gas and diamonds work prospects!
Oh, and Westcan have a couple of terminals there,in Moose Jaw the Brit guys are treated like gold!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.