Now undecided

Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now undecided

Originally Posted by wigsey
Hi Gremmie,
thks for coming in. This is the first time we've heard about the 4%. Honestly at the interview we're sure Steve said, no paid holidays because I said surely after 2 years you get something and he said no. I said let me get this right, if after two years we want to go to the UK for two weeks holiday we get nothing and he said, yes that's right. But, it was 8 o'clock in the morning with 5 kids with us and 2 months ago, so the brain cells could be fuddled! Even though we have got the job offer with h and r, we haven't accepted yet and will be sending out the cv to a lot more companies. thanks again, glen
Read Bisons pay scale,at the bottom are hols,,,,

We offer all Long Haul Company Drivers an excellent benefit and pay package including:
Paid Rand McNally Practical Miles;
Paid weekly for miles run (up to midnight Saturday);
Direct Deposit, no pay hold-back;
$ 8.00 paid per loaded border crossing event;
$45.00 paid for loading & unloading, including the first and last;
$30.00 paid for USDA Meat Inspection;
$16.00 per hour on all authorized work time;
Single - $50.00 paid layover after 24 hrs without a dispatch or $50.00 paid resetting Hours of Service while on the road - No hourly remuneration;
Team Driver - The following 8 hours on/ 8 hours off cycle repeats as necessary: Eight hours on - $16.00 per hour Eight hours off - No remuneration. All hotel rooms are to be pre-approved and accompanied by a Purchase order Number;
$0.01 per mile annual claims free bonus;
Safe Driving Rewards Program;
Referral Bonus Program;
Company Pet Policy;
$100.00 US float for approved on the road expenses;
$100.00 paid after completion of orientation;
Paid vacation-2 weeks after 1 continuous year of service;
Immediate out of country coverage. Life, Health, Disability and Dental Plan is available for purchase after 3 months of employment;
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
5 kids...!!!!!! i'm not 100% sure but i think on a work permit you get No child benifits
I think you can claim Child Benefit after the 19th month of arrival or once you have PR - which ever is the quickest.

Karla x x x
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:12 am
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Hiya folks,

We are of to H&R in November.

As we understand it you get 2 weeks paid holiday every year and as many unpaid as you like! The 4% on your wages acumalates to the 2 weeks paid a year....

As far as all the bad vibs your hearing on here about H&R, there what people want you to here. Every company employs dead wood, its a fact of life... How many times have you heard Stobarts getting slated? Yet he has loads of loyal drivers! If people are no good for the company then they will get binned or squeezed out.

I know three drivers working for H&R at the moment and none are thinking of leaving or have anything bad to say about them! They've heard the rumours but as I said above dead wood is dead wood.....

We made the disission to go with them after several months of looking around. The have offered us the best package and have been the most helpfull and pleasent to talk to.

It's what works for you and your family at the end of the day....
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit
Hiya folks,

As we understand it you get 2 weeks paid holiday every year and as many unpaid as you like! The 4% on your wages acumalates to the 2 weeks paid a year....

As far as all the bad vibs your hearing on here about H&R, there what people want you to here. Every company employs dead wood, its a fact of life... How many times have you heard Stobarts getting slated? Yet he has loads of loyal drivers! If people are no good for the company then they will get binned or squeezed out.

I know three drivers working for H&R at the moment and none are thinking of leaving or have anything bad to say about them! They've heard the rumours but as I said above dead wood is dead wood.....

We made the disission to go with them after several months of looking around. The have offered us the best package and have been the most helpfull and pleasent to talk to.

Good Luck to you and I hope Canada brings you all the happiness in the World.

Karla x x x
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

wigsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya folks,

hi, thanks for clearing the holiday matter up. The prob is, that even though H and R were our gut reaction, at the interview all Steve kept doing was question our finances and question whether we could afford to live there. Even on our job offer, they've put, consider very carefully which has put a little seed in Dean's brain and sent warning bells off. As I've said before, all companies have good and bad, we know that but Dean's a grafter so they'll get the work out of him. He just can't get his head round why they offered a job but put him off at the same time!!! My instinct is still with H and R so hopefully, we may see you there. Good luck to you anyway in the meantime. glen x
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karla03
I think you can claim Child Benefit after the 19th month of arrival or once you have PR - which ever is the quickest.

Karla x x x
thanks Karla, thought we wouldn't get child benefit at all, so whenever it comes either at 19 months or pr, it will be a bonus glen x x
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Karla, thought we wouldn't get child benefit at all, so whenever it comes either at 19 months or pr, it will be a bonus glen x x
This might help also. Happy reading Glen.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...mesec.asp#cctb

Karla x x x
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, thanks for clearing the holiday matter up. The prob is, that even though H and R were our gut reaction, at the interview all Steve kept doing was question our finances and question whether we could afford to live there. Even on our job offer, they've put, consider very carefully which has put a little seed in Dean's brain and sent warning bells off. As I've said before, all companies have good and bad, we know that but Dean's a grafter so they'll get the work out of him. He just can't get his head round why they offered a job but put him off at the same time!!! My instinct is still with H and R so hopefully, we may see you there. Good luck to you anyway in the meantime. glen x
this is something we've also strugled to get our heads around, the above company and several others are saying you need a good wedge to see you through the first year and they're not talking small amounts of money either! obviously theres a fair bit to pay out for especially if your leaving most of everything behind but surely starting from scratch with no credit etc your in the best possible position, if it's a living wage dosn't that mean you should be able to live on it?
heard plenty of stories about those who've gone out with proceeds of a house sale and blown the lot inside two months, trying to buy a ready made lifestyle but surely if you go carefull the same as you would here the only reason you'll need extra funds is because your not earning enough in the first place?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:56 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulburt
this is something we've also strugled to get our heads around, the above company and several others are saying you need a good wedge to see you through the first year and they're not talking small amounts of money either! obviously theres a fair bit to pay out for especially if your leaving most of everything behind but surely starting from scratch with no credit etc your in the best possible position, if it's a living wage dosn't that mean you should be able to live on it?
heard plenty of stories about those who've gone out with proceeds of a house sale and blown the lot inside two months, trying to buy a ready made lifestyle but surely if you go carefull the same as you would here the only reason you'll need extra funds is because your not earning enough in the first place?
You are right paul but you do need a little wedge to tide you over until you get a regular wage, and that applies to any profession not just truck driving.
In theory if you started work the day you landed you could still go 6 -8 weeks before you got your 1st full wage.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point

so what would you say was enough? or more to the point a minimum amount?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:58 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulburt
so what would you say was enough? or more to the point a minimum amount?
lol, well we came with nothing but we had a lot of help from family. I would want at least $15,000 to get set up, this depends hugely on what you need or already have when you get here of course.
HTH
Andy
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:56 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

hello this is "wag" of kev, aka Lisa. I found that when there asking about fianances and personal stuff its not to critisise its to ensure that your getting the best deal and that your going to manage. Just thinking on their terms they are flying your hubby out spending the money to traiin him then the mentour trips, think the just check so you can manage through all that because they dont want to fly him home the week after training because of expenses etc. We are 2 no family as of yet and we're selling up t go there i fly the 8th dec, kev the 8th nov. Fancy a chat any time Lisa
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:11 am
PREPARED

pete d is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya folks,

Good luck with H&R,
I'll be looking forward to see how you get on.
I've been offered a place with H&R for March, at the moment still sorting our lives out over here in corby.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karla03
This might help also. Happy reading Glen.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...mesec.asp#cctb

Karla x x x
Sorry, been away, computer screen packed up! Anyway, thanks Karla. Got to be resident to get child benefit but at least we know now we can get some help. glen xx
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

HilsandDen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pete d
Good luck with H&R,
I'll be looking forward to see how you get on.
I've been offered a place with H&R for March, at the moment still sorting our lives out over here in corby.
Pete D! I'm loking for companies interview with Bison 21st Oct. Who are H & R though? Please tell what you thought of them above everyone else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.