Now undecided

Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

wigsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Now undecided

Hi, can anyone help us? My husband Dean has been offered a job with H and R in Lethbridge. We were told at the interview about the rising prices and boom etc in Alberta and told to really consider our options. Now, we're having 2nd thoughts. Really want to go to Canada, but is Alberta the best province, is H and R the best company, will we be able to make a go considering we have 5 (yes 5) kids. We've been looking at property and there doesn't seem anywhere to rent but Manitoba seems cheaper but are the driver's rates lower there too? Dean's been looking at Bison, anybody have any thoughts on them or is H and R the best? We just want a better life to offer our kids, can this be done? We're willing to sacriface 2 years of hard graft to get it but obviously, need to be able to afford to live those first 2 years!! Love to hear from the truckers but also some wives if poss, to hear their side please. Dean and Glen
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

citicat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Now undecided

Originally Posted by wigsey
Hi, can anyone help us? My husband Dean has been offered a job with H and R in Lethbridge. We were told at the interview about the rising prices and boom etc in Alberta and told to really consider our options. Now, we're having 2nd thoughts. Really want to go to Canada, but is Alberta the best province, is H and R the best company, will we be able to make a go considering we have 5 (yes 5) kids. We've been looking at property and there doesn't seem anywhere to rent but Manitoba seems cheaper but are the driver's rates lower there too? Dean's been looking at Bison, anybody have any thoughts on them or is H and R the best? We just want a better life to offer our kids, can this be done? We're willing to sacriface 2 years of hard graft to get it but obviously, need to be able to afford to live those first 2 years!! Love to hear from the truckers but also some wives if poss, to hear their side please. Dean and Glen
Hi have a look at lyndons blog he is with h&r in lethbridge http://lyndon001.blogspot.com/

H&R isnt the best but have a look at these companys aswell
Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:32 am
Just Joined

thks mick, we have looked at some of these sites but I think we've read too many threads about them, that's the problem. You think you've got an ok comp then someone writes something about them. Our main three are handr, bison and hoffman but dean has little tanker experience - is that a problem? The other thing is property. Alberta is expensive. so h an r could be out of the picture but then they seem not too bad against the others. We're not whingers, dean would graft but won't graft for nothing. We appreciate Canada is wot you make it and all that and we've got to the point that anywhere's better than here, but you've still got to live. Sorry bout the waffling but we really want to come to Canada, but dean's worked for some rotten companies here and we don't want to make the same mistakes!! glen
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Hi,

I'm a Truckers Wife (WAG as we like to be called). If theres any questions you want to ask - feel free.

Karla x x x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karla03
Hi,

I'm a Truckers Wife (WAG as we like to be called). If theres any questions you want to ask - feel free.

Karla x x x
Hi Karla,
Wow, a WAG at last, wish I had their money though!!! Been reading your comments and have learnt very much, thanks. However, Dean now sceptical about h and r and living in alberta so he's now looking at Bison. I'm not keen on h and r, one reason being you don't get holiday pay even after 10 years service, but is that just me being a British whinger? Sorry to be a pain, but to save me trawling through pages and pages, do you know anything about Bison apart from the obvious as in what we've got from their web site i.e. wages and stuff? glen xx
Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Hi Karla,
Wow, a WAG at last, wish I had their money though!!! Been reading your comments and have learnt very much, thanks. However, Dean now sceptical about h and r and living in alberta so he's now looking at Bison. I'm not keen on h and r, one reason being you don't get holiday pay even after 10 years service, but is that just me being a British whinger? Sorry to be a pain, but to save me trawling through pages and pages, do you know anything about Bison apart from the obvious as in what we've got from their web site i.e. wages and stuff? glen xx

Hiya Glen,

Sorry but I know nothing about Bison as we have never looked into them. If there was anything about Seafood Express, Bulk Carriers, Yanke, Westcan, Siemens or Midlands that you wanted to know - then I'm your Gal.

My husband - Simon is looking into RJ Hoffman (see the thread) at the minute as this company offers day work, but we are still on route to Prince Edward Island until we have a job offer.

So, when are you hoping to move across - any time scale? How many children do you have? Have you ever been to Canada? Sorry to be a nosey cow.

Karla x x x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glen

There is one piece of advice that I must give you - Take everything you read on here with a pinch of salt. Whats right for me and Simon might be all wrong for you. We are all different on here and are after different things in life - I just wish the best in finding what your after.

Karla x x x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Hiya Glen,

Sorry but I know nothing about Bison as we have never looked into them. If there was anything about Seafood Express, Bulk Carriers, Yanke, Westcan, Siemens or Midlands that you wanted to know - then I'm your Gal.

My husband - Simon is looking into RJ Hoffman (see the thread) at the minute as this company offers day work, but we are still on route to Prince Edward Island until we have a job offer.

So, when are you hoping to move across - any time scale? How many children do you have? Have you ever been to Canada? Sorry to be a nosey cow.

Karla x x x
Hi Karla,
We've got the house on the market and will go as soon as. Will still look at Bison and probably Kindersley, but Hoffmann look ok too but expensive in LLoydminster. If nothing else comes up, we're most probably sticking with h and r. They've been our gut reaction from the word go it was only after reading on this site we started to get worried. The thing is you're right, what's good for one is not always good for the other. It's just with 5 kids to consider, it's one hell of a gamble. Never been to Canada, don't know whether that's good or bad but he who dares and all that!! I like the sound of hoffmans, not to keen on being on my own for two weeks on foreign soil, so the day work appeals but Dean has done limited tanker work, so is experience against him? How come you going to PEI if you don't mind me asking?glen x x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karla,
Hi Wigsey, all companies inc. H&R pay holiday at 4% of annual income. different companies have different systems for importing drivers,some do immigration papers in-house others use agents,prices vary between approx 2000$-8000$. Bison being at the top of this price range but they are to the best of my knowledge a good company If i were you check at the top of this page "WIKI" click Canada and then scroll down to "T" transport companies,we've posted websites of various Provincial Transport Assocs that give easy acess to 100s of companies. A good tip is to get your CV and short introduction of your self on an E,Mail and send send send,most sites have a contact link to their Human Resoureces or even to There big boss,just get those CV's out. I sent almost 300 out
Once you start getting replies,and not a will, sought out where in Canada you want to go,you can google just about any town/city and find info and housing ect,ect.
Good Hunting,,,,, Gremmie
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Karla,
We've got the house on the market and will go as soon as. Will still look at Bison and probably Kindersley, but Hoffmann look ok too but expensive in LLoydminster. If nothing else comes up, we're most probably sticking with h and r. They've been our gut reaction from the word go it was only after reading on this site we started to get worried. The thing is you're right, what's good for one is not always good for the other. It's just with 5 kids to consider, it's one hell of a gamble. Never been to Canada, don't know whether that's good or bad but he who dares and all that!! I like the sound of hoffmans, not to keen on being on my own for two weeks on foreign soil, so the day work appeals but Dean has done limited tanker work, so is experience against him? How come you going to PEI if you don't mind me asking?glen x x
I have no idea - may seem daft, but I saw some photographs on the internet and I just fell in love with the place. Then I contacted a few people who live there and they confirmed that it was a fantastic place to live and a great place to bring up children. I have 3 children, Danielle whos nearly 6, Megan whos 3 and Lewis who is 1 and they are all very active children and love being out doors. The other thing is I wanted to be by the coast.

In a way Prince Edward Island is my first choice, but I have to think of Simon and he wants to be at home every evening - but Hoffmans General Manager is a pain to get hold of so we have no idea whats going to happen yet.

Plus the property is cheaper in Prince Edward Island and our friends who use to serve with Simon in the Army have moved to NB - which will be a fantastic help.

Hope this answers your question - plus I too want to get it right for my children.

Karla x x x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hi Wigsey, all companies inc. H&R pay holiday at 4% of annual income. different companies have different systems for importing drivers,some do immigration papers in-house others use agents,prices vary between approx 2000$-8000$. Bison being at the top of this price range but they are to the best of my knowledge a good company If i were you check at the top of this page "WIKI" click Canada and then scroll down to "T" transport companies,we've posted websites of various Provincial Transport Assocs that give easy acess to 100s of companies. A good tip is to get your CV and short introduction of your self on an E,Mail and send send send,most sites have a contact link to their Human Resoureces or even to There big boss,just get those CV's out. I sent almost 300 out
Once you start getting replies,and not a will, sought out where in Canada you want to go,you can google just about any town/city and find info and housing ect,ect.
Gremmies Right - the more companies who you send the Resume out too the better. I have sent hundreds out, and maybe half have never replied - thats their loss I guess.

Good Luck

Karla x x x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gremmie,
thks for coming in. This is the first time we've heard about the 4%. Honestly at the interview we're sure Steve said, no paid holidays because I said surely after 2 years you get something and he said no. I said let me get this right, if after two years we want to go to the UK for two weeks holiday we get nothing and he said, yes that's right. But, it was 8 o'clock in the morning with 5 kids with us and 2 months ago, so the brain cells could be fuddled! Even though we have got the job offer with h and r, we haven't accepted yet and will be sending out the cv to a lot more companies. thanks again, glen
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

5 kids...!!!!!! i'm not 100% sure but i think on a work permit you get No child benifits
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

I have no idea - may seem daft, but I saw some photographs on the internet and I just fell in love with the place. Then I contacted a few people who live there and they confirmed that it was a fantastic place to live and a great place to bring up children. I have 3 children, Danielle whos nearly 6, Megan whos 3 and Lewis who is 1 and they are all very active children and love being out doors. The other thing is I wanted to be by the coast.

In a way Prince Edward Island is my first choice, but I have to think of Simon and he wants to be at home every evening - but Hoffmans General Manager is a pain to get hold of so we have no idea whats going to happen yet.

Plus the property is cheaper in Prince Edward Island and our friends who use to serve with Simon in the Army have moved to NB - which will be a fantastic help.

Hope this answers your question - plus I too want to get it right for my children.

Karla x x x
Hi Karla,
Know what you mean, that's why we went Alberta but trust me to get the most expensive part! Mind you I like New Brunswick too. Like you, we want to get it right for the kids, ours range from 6 to 15. Dean works hard and I want him to have a better quality of life and I want him home every night, but he's trying to convince me that 2 weeks away is a small sacrifice if we're to have a better life. Not too sure on that one! Anyway, when do you hope to go? glen x x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

5 kids...!!!!!! i'm not 100% sure but i think on a work permit you get No child benifits
yea, we know that's why Dean has GOT to get the right company with the right money. Dean appreciates I have a full time job now with the kids and doesn't expect me to work but out there, well that's a different matter, if may well be a case of having to. glen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.