British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   NO LIMA REQUIRED (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/no-lima-required-875917/)

bigreduk Apr 14th 2016 1:31 pm

NO LIMA REQUIRED

Hi guys , Gettign set to leave for Manitoba Canada at the start of next month , as i have a ywo year open work visa so do not require a LIMA to work and i am a long haul trucker i want to drive a truck in Canada long haul once i pass my Canadain class one .
My question does any one know any good trucking companeys to work for in the Winnipeg / Steinabch region . I am aware that my previous 10 years trucking in the uk will count for nothing to a Canadian employer and i will be the " green horn " lol . but i would really like any advice . As i do not need a LIMA can perhaps have a slight few more options as regards who to drive for .
Ideally i just want a stable long haul company that does not force or expect drivers to break rules with regards hours of service and safety . would have experience with Reefer or box work and that would let the wife tag along .

take care all .

Juggernaut1064 Apr 14th 2016 4:03 pm

Re: NO LIMA REQUIRED

Lots of companies in MB but a really good one that has Brits that i know working for them is Paul Brandt in Morris MB Brandt Trucking
Call them and have a chat with their recruiter.

Juggernaut1064 Apr 14th 2016 4:04 pm

Lots of companies in MB but a really good one that has Brits that i know working for them is Paul Brandt in Morris MB Brandt Trucking
Call them and have a chat with their recruiter.

bigreduk Apr 14th 2016 4:13 pm

thats great , thank you for such a quick reply .

flat to the mat Apr 15th 2016 1:12 am

You could try Penner International in Steinbach . Loads of work around Winterpeg ,have a drive along route 90 North and the world's your oyster , Bison , Erb , Manitoulin , TransX if you wear a wrap around stetson , there are loads crying for bums on seats . Best of luck

Juggernaut1064 Apr 15th 2016 6:25 am

Penner don't own any highway long haul trucks, they are all owner operators and brokers.
Jake the recruiter may know an owner looking for a driver but beware of working for owner ops, I got burned for over $3500 by one.

wire Apr 17th 2016 12:12 am

Are you saying that you definitely have a working visa?
I have been with a small family trucking company based in Landmark between Winnipeg and Steinbach for the last 8yrs.
It is reefer work and we mostly haul down to the Mexico border, Texas Arizona and California but can occasionally haul anywhere in the US or Canada.
The company drivers are issued their own trucks on a strict one driver, one truck policy and a couple of the guys have their wives with them no problem.
Real nice friendly people who own the company and in fact they helped me when I was a company driver but wanted to get my own truck and be an owner operator for them.
They will only be interested in talking to you if you are actually eligible to work in Canada though.

neilg14 Apr 17th 2016 7:47 am

Originally Posted by wire (Post 11924912)
Are you saying that you definitely have a working visa?
I have been with a small family trucking company based in Landmark between Winnipeg and Steinbach for the last 8yrs.
It is reefer work and we mostly haul down to the Mexico border, Texas Arizona and California but can occasionally haul anywhere in the US or Canada.
The company drivers are issued their own trucks on a strict one driver, one truck policy and a couple of the guys have their wives with them no problem.
Real nice friendly people who own the company and in fact they helped me when I was a company driver but wanted to get my own truck and be an owner operator for them.
They will only be interested in talking to you if you are actually eligible to work in Canada though.

Wire, I believe bigreduk has an IEC visa which gives him a 2yr OWP to work in any job, in any company, that he's qualified for.
As he said, no LMIA needed.

Lou Skannon Apr 28th 2016 1:32 am

You could try Schroeder Freight. They seem rather keen to get more British drivers. You don't have to be very good to become one of their top drivers. Dry freight vans, a lot of peat-moss to Texas. If you need lodgings, just let me know.

neilg14 Jul 5th 2016 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by RoyPrb (Post 11994249)
Hi,
sorry, I did not follow you with "$3500 got burned".

Thanks

Probably didn't get paid and is owed $3,500.