new to truck driving

Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Mark Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to truck driving

Hi,
I am new to this so go easy with me. my family and i are looking to move to NS and i am looking for a career change and i really fancy truck driving although i have no experience. Other than the obvious of passing my hgv tests here what do i need to do?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice
Default Re: new to truck driving

Most companies require at least 2 years experience ..some 5 years
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you prepared to be away up to 2 weeks away at a time,
Work up to 14 hours a day etc. Its not all just rosey and easy living in this job
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:07 pm
Banned

lstevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mark Cathy
Hi,
I am new to this so go easy with me. my family and i are looking to move to NS and i am looking for a career change and i really fancy truck driving although i have no experience. Other than the obvious of passing my hgv tests here what do i need to do?
Hi

If you are younger than 35 you can get an open 1 year open work permit. You could come over on that, get your licence over here(by the way are you aware that you cant switch your UK licence class 1 for a Canadian one, it dosnt work like that! you have to do it all over again over here so getting your UK licence might be a waste of time and money) then get a job, most training schools over here help you find an employer to take you on even though you have no experience. Then at the end of the year you'll have 1 year Canadian experience, someone is bound to sponser you after this.

If your not younger than 35 and not eligible for the 1 year open work permit
you could come over, get your licence(you dont need a work permit do attend a training school in Ontario, but dont know about the other provences!)then someone out west in Alberta should take you on. The Ontario licencing department takes your UK licence off you and sends it back to the UK before they give you your Canadian one(again, i dont know if the other provences do this). This way no company would be able to tell that you didnt have your HGV driving licence for 2-5 years in the UK.
All you really need is a good friend and phone number back in the UK to use as a reference, know what i mean?
As you can probably tell, i know all the ins and outs back to front. I learned them the hard way so when i saw your question you reminded me of my self 2 years ago. Hope this helps
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Originally Posted by lstevo
As you can probably tell, i know all the ins and outs back to front. I learned them the hard way so when i saw your question you reminded me of my self 2 years ago. Hope this helps
You dont know much to be honest.

Its 30 years old, not 35.
Employers will know you've no experience, when you come to apply for provincial sponsorship... You wont qualify for it without enough experience(which is more than 1 year and can be 3). And lying to them will see you booted out on your arse.

All you really need is a good friend and phone number back in the UK to use as a reference, know what i mean?
Thats fraud. And people who are caught doing it, wont be allowed back to the country, and rightly so. What a ridiculous piece of advice.

And the poster mentioned NS, (nova scotia), so Im not sure why they'd want to travel to Ontario to take their test, then travel to Alberta to get a job

Heres a quote from the NSNP : ''The evidence of work experience or transferable skills will be verified by certified education and/or work experience via your résumé or curriculum vitae
(CV) and supporting employment documents'' - fake that, and youre in the shit.

Last edited by CurtNIR; Jan 8th 2010 at 9:33 am.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mark Cathy
Hi,

As a family man wanting a ''career change'', I think youre mad to choose trucking.

What do you do now, and wife? what does she do?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:24 pm
Banned

lstevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Well its 35 in Ireland. And i did it that way and had no problem getting a job.
The way you describe is only asked for in theoty put in to practice is a whole different issue. Have you tried it? because until you have you cant say much!!!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Well its 35 in Ireland. And i did it that way and had no problem getting a job.
The way you describe is only asked for in theoty put in to practice is a whole different issue. Have you tried it? because until you have you cant say much!!!
So are you admiting you lied to your would be Canadain employer about your experience, and are willing to lie to the Manitoba Government
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I cant say much?? If your employer is thick enough to fall for it, then youve got yourself a contract....but whats that worth if you want to stay there? it'll be up to the government to decide.

You're telling someone new, asking for info, to misrepresent themselves... which is a criminal offence. If they find out, you'll be apprehended, convicted and sent to jail mate...along with that ''good friend'' who lied back in Ireland. You'll be black listed from Canada for up to two years, and your details will go on the global immigration database.

great advice.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Mark Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe it or not i am a sales manager for a car dealership in the uk. I would just like a career change after spending 15 years in the motor trade with the usual stresses and strains. I am not expecting life to become "easier" as a trucker and i am sure there are plenty of negative points to the job but it is something i have fancied doing for a few years. Incidently i am nearly 40 so the one year permit is out the window and i ahve 3 kids to consider when emmigrating with regards to schools etc. Thanks for the feedback so far
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

taff trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Curt

Happy new year to you. Now you know I'm not one to pick holes but when did they make Nova Scotia part of Ontario or Alberta I was in Nova Scotia last week and it was still in the Maritimes. Wish they had moved it, wouuld have had some good miles then.

And the poster mentioned NS, (nova scotia), so Im not sure why they'd want to travel to Ontario to take their test, then travel to Alberta to get a job