Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Need a canadian truckers help!

Need a canadian truckers help!

Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

peskypete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a canadian truckers help!

Well, i am 19 years old and i live in the UK (unfortunatly...)
I want to become a trucker, and move over to canada but i was wondering what i should do to achieve this.
My current plan is...

Finish college (so i have something to fall back on)
Get my UK driving licence for manual car
Get a HGV/LGV licence
Work for 2 or 3 years in the UK (is this a MUST? I'd rather go straight to Canada and earn less)
Get a company to employ me

I have tried to list that as realistically as i can, i am not a dreamer, but this is an ambition, please just let me know what steps i must take.
Thanks

Last edited by peskypete; Jan 4th 2011 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

eire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really nice
Default Re: Need a canadian truckers help!

Another option for you if you want to get a taste of it and see if its for you is go do a season in America with a custom cutter. They are teams that start in the south of the country and head north cutting wheat as it matures.
The season runs from April to december, the visa you get is a H2A they organise that for you and you do an interview in the us embassy.
I have just returned from there, I landed over got my cdl got handed the keys to a Peterbilt 379 and we headed down to the mexican border in may and ended up at the canadian border in September and headed south to cut corn.
We spent the time hauling grain and moving the combinesand tractor and grain carts between jobs.
I got to spend a month after doing "over the road trucking" as they call it hauling bulk produce around all the southern US states.
If ya want more info pm me
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eire23
Another option for you if you want to get a taste of it and see if its for you is go do a season in America with a custom cutter. They are teams that start in the south of the country and head north cutting wheat as it matures.
The season runs from April to december, the visa you get is a H2A they organise that for you and you do an interview in the us embassy.
I have just returned from there, I landed over got my cdl got handed the keys to a Peterbilt 379 and we headed down to the mexican border in may and ended up at the canadian border in September and headed south to cut corn.
We spent the time hauling grain and moving the combinesand tractor and grain carts between jobs.
I got to spend a month after doing "over the road trucking" as they call it hauling bulk produce around all the southern US states.
If ya want more info pm me
Hi, can not pm as i dont have 3 posts lol, this sounds amazing! Would i still need to pass the HGV or LVG here in england? I imagaine i would have to, but this sounds like a great way to start. if you could pm me all possible info i would be very gratefull. Thankyou.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:38 am
Just Joined

eire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really niceeire23 is just really nice

No most of them no experience would be necessary...just a will to learn to do things their way and a bit of common sense.
Some of the companys you would probably have to spend a bit of time on a tractor/combine as well.
Its tough work you might not get a day off for a month then if the weather turned bad you might be off for 2 weeks.
Just search on the internet for "us custom cutters" theres a lot of companys,
Most of them hire now for next season.
Also your cdl would probably transfer into Canada....its a bit to cold for my liking up there
Heres a few pictures for you

Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eire23
No most of them no experience would be necessary...just a will to learn to do things their way and a bit of common sense.
Some of the companys you would probably have to spend a bit of time on a tractor/combine as well.
Its tough work you might not get a day off for a month then if the weather turned bad you might be off for 2 weeks.
Just search on the internet for "us custom cutters" theres a lot of companys,
Most of them hire now for next season.
Also your cdl would probably transfer into Canada....its a bit to cold for my liking up there
Heres a few pictures for you
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n.../damage013.jpg
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n..._7183775_n.jpg
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...403539_n-1.jpg
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...8_235854_n.jpg
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...451_n-Copy.jpg
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/n...522_n-Copy.jpg
That really looks amazing, thankyou.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.safetycollege.ca/

Have a look at the above link where they provide training then a period of time with a trucking firm for you to gain experience. Hopefully when the period of time with th etrucking company is over they might offer you a job.

No idea as to costs and visa (poss BUNAC) / work permit requirements to train there but have a look there may be a way to break into the industry that way then you wont need to bother with a UK C+E
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

I'm thinking about doing the same as the OP sans University (it rides on my English and well I highly doubt I'll get it).

I have a couple of questions:
Is the 2-3 years experience in UK really required?
If no can you go over and learn in Canada (or US) and try and get work?

If it is required should I go for C+E Artic?

Cheers in advance for any help
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

MacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really niceMacLover is just really nice

Originally Posted by MacLover
I'm thinking about doing the same as the OP sans University (it rides on my English and well I highly doubt I'll get it).

I have a couple of questions:
Is the 2-3 years experience in UK really required?
If no can you go over and learn in Canada (or US) and try and get work?

If it is required should I go for C+E Artic?

Cheers in advance for any help
Decided I'd get a UK licence and try and get experience trucking and then do the Seasonal work in southern USA

How would one go about getting a CDL if your not a perm. resident? and what happens to the licence once season is over?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Funny members on here used to lecture me about Custom Cutters only running piles of junk for trucks!!!!!!!!!

Who is that in the photos, Demaray harvesting from Arizona?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Funny members on here used to lecture me about Custom Cutters only running piles of junk for trucks!!!!!!!!!

Who is that in the photos, Demaray harvesting from Arizona?
NO BT we said you talk a load of crap

Oh PS. those trucks are a load of old junk in the photos