Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

NEED BEST ADVICE ON JOB PROSPECTS?

NEED BEST ADVICE ON JOB PROSPECTS?

Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Crushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant future
Default NEED BEST ADVICE ON JOB PROSPECTS?

We, as a family, have given up hope on the PR application being processed anytime soon (i.e-2012). We've been waiting 19 months and still not even in anywhere near procesing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, what are my chances of securing a job with a truck company in Calgary? TWP/PNP/PR etc
I have 7 years hgv experience and now hold class 1 entitlement, will do whatever it takes (within reason).

Basically, with PR route it maybe another 2 years before we get visa's but cannot wait that long because kids are going to be at an important stage in their studies.

Please help me to overcome any hurdles and maybe I can show my family a better lifestyle that we have been planning all along.

Thanks and kind regards

Bal
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice
Default Re: NEED BEST ADVICE ON JOB PROSPECTS?

If you already have your PR application in , I would wait , It's not going to be any easier or quicker to gain PR whilst working out here , Current timeframe is 4 years in Alberta for PR through the PNP process , I don't doubt you would have any difficulties getting a trucking job out here and you could try the usual suspects first i.e. H&R Westcan Bison and they will be plenty of others if you look a bit deeper.

How old are your children ? Because they can't go to University here till you have PR , Unless you pay the full cost.

I also heard there are over a million applicants in the PR process right now .
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Crushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
If you already have your PR application in , I would wait , It's not going to be any easier or quicker to gain PR whilst working out here , Current timeframe is 4 years in Alberta for PR through the PNP process , I don't doubt you would have any difficulties getting a trucking job out here and you could try the usual suspects first i.e. H&R Westcan Bison and they will be plenty of others if you look a bit deeper.

How old are your children ? Because they can't go to University here till you have PR , Unless you pay the full cost.

I also heard there are over a million applicants in the PR process right now .
Thanks for the advice kb33, my kids are 8 and 13 years old so the college thing may not be a problem. However, as I mentioned and you've said, there are over a Million PR applications and 475,000 are FSW Pr applications I think.

The reason why I want to try this TWP/PNP/PR route is because there has been no movement for applicants on FSW who are many months ahead of our timeline even.
I think I would sit back and wait, prepare and save up futher for the big move but it seems like it will be very very long wait for PR. ( it doesn't help when you don't know what is going on, kept totally in the dark ).

Can you please advise, how is the best chance to secure a job offer, do the companies prefer candidates to apply with cover letter and resume then follow up with telephone call. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Bal
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Personally I would call the company and ask what the situation is regarding LMO's and temporary workers , Email's are usually a waste of time and Canadians prefer to speak face to face , Some companies have online application forms , But I would still call after you have filled one in .

Maybe trip over here and do some cold calling ? Lots companies still want drivers in Alberta.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kb33
Personally I would call the company and ask what the situation is regarding LMO's and temporary workers , Email's are usually a waste of time and Canadians prefer to speak face to face , Some companies have online application forms , But I would still call after you have filled one in .

Maybe trip over here and do some cold calling ? Lots companies still want drivers in Alberta.
So, what you're saying is the company needs to have an LMO, which sets them up to employ foriegn workers, is that right??

One other question, sorry if I'm dragging on a bit but I want to be ready to go ahead and sort this out soon. How many years driving experience do they normally require? ( Is it total years HGV or class1 experience??)

We visited Calgary last year, a place called Okotoks and explored around all areas. We would very much like to settle down there if things work out. There is a kind of natural peacefulness of Sheep River, a nice small town feel around Southridge and access to a Timmy Hortons. ( I'm sure you understand what I mean )

Thanks again

Bal
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]So, what you're saying is the company needs to have an LMO, which sets them up to employ foriegn workers, is that right??/QUOTE]

Yes the company needs to have an LMO in place , After a job offer the company then sends you the LMO and this gets you a work permit at the POE , But here in Alberta till you have PR you are stuck with that company Unless you want to go through the whole process all over again .

[QUOTE]One other question, sorry if I'm dragging on a bit but I want to be ready to go ahead and sort this out soon. How many years driving experience do they normally require? ( Is it total years HGV or class1 experience??) /QUOTE]

They normally require 2 years experience But 5 is preferred and its probably class one experience they are looking for .

[QUOTE]We visited Calgary last year, a place called Okotoks and explored around all areas. We would very much like to settle down there if things work out. There is a kind of natural peacefulness of Sheep River, a nice small town feel around Southridge and access to a Timmy Hortons. ( I'm sure you understand what I mean/QUOTE]

Okotoks is full of Brits at the moment , Must be reaching 50% now If I were doing all again I would be looking elsewhere