British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   need advice and help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/need-advice-help-please-783136/)

ericdraven32 Jan 9th 2013 3:21 pm

need advice and help please

Hi my name is john im 31 live in warrington in england and im new here so hi all

ok here goes im currently serving in the army but im looking to leave and mov over to canada with my partner iv spent a fair bit of time in canada most recent in 2011 over in batus and i love canada its the only place iv ever been where it felt like home

i have my hgv class 2 in process of doing my class 1 i also have completed my adr (hazmat) up to petrol tanker moduels my partner is a careworker we both want to move over to canada to start a new life together

the job situation and way of life here in england is getting worse the cost of living is going through the roof while wages stay the same and its getting harder and harder to do anything now we are aware that it wont be easy and are ready willing and able to work hard to achive the chance to start a new life

any help advice or job offers would be of great help thank you for taking the time to read and look forward to hearing from you all

regards john

Steve_magpie Jan 9th 2013 3:59 pm

Re: need advice and help please

Hi John
Im new too, but Hi anyway lol
Hows Batus these days not been there since 92
I am also in the process of looking for work so as to secure a new life for my wife n I in Canada, there are some very helpful people on here so brace ya self
and good luck

ericdraven32 Jan 9th 2013 4:25 pm

Well still the same first time iv been but from what people told me when they were there its not changed much lol montanas in medicen hat was good had some fun in there

kb33 Jan 9th 2013 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ericdraven32 (Post 10473636)
Hi my name is john im 31 live in warrington in england and im new here so hi all

ok here goes im currently serving in the army but im looking to leave and mov over to canada with my partner iv spent a fair bit of time in canada most recent in 2011 over in batus and i love canada its the only place iv ever been where it felt like home

i have my hgv class 2 in process of doing my class 1 i also have completed my adr (hazmat) up to petrol tanker moduels my partner is a careworker we both want to move over to canada to start a new life together

the job situation and way of life here in england is getting worse the cost of living is going through the roof while wages stay the same and its getting harder and harder to do anything now we are aware that it wont be easy and are ready willing and able to work hard to achive the chance to start a new life

any help advice or job offers would be of great help thank you for taking the time to read and look forward to hearing from you all

regards john

You're probably going to need your Class One with some commercial experience before anyone will hire you , That being said there are some companies that hire drivers without experience (the really desperate ones )

You need to decide where in Canada you want to live , Then look for companies that will have LMO's which will get you a work permit on entry to Canada .

Have a look at the Wiki

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

heydon1983 Jan 11th 2013 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10474279)
You're probably going to need your Class One with some commercial experience before anyone will hire you , That being said there are some companies that hire drivers without experience (the really desperate ones )

You need to decide where in Canada you want to live , Then look for companies that will have LMO's which will get you a work permit on entry to Canada .

Have a look at the Wiki

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

what trade are you in the army? and how long have you held a class2? driving which army vehicle's? and what type of driving job do you fancy doing in Canada there is all sorts of driving work most companies that take on foreign workers are mostly long haul/distance which is normally away for a couple of weeks at a time but finding where you would like to live in Canada is the start as you've done batus you might be looking at Alberta which is a nice province but do plenty of research

Gremmie Jan 12th 2013 8:59 pm

[QUOTE=ericdraven32;10473636]Hi my name is john im 31 live in warrington in england and im new here so hi all

regards john[/QUOTE

OK here it is as painless as I can make it for you.
Your Class 1 and ADR are worthless here as you will need to re do them both, and as you have zero experience that make's them doubly useless for you. Your partner's qualifications as Caregiver will probably put her in a better position than you are. Manitoba offers a quasi apprenticeship for new would be truck drivers with the MPI & Manitoba Transport Assoc... http://www.trucking.mb.ca/MPIProfess...ingProgram.htm

Now this next piece of advice will just about cause riotous laughter from most of the regulars on here. So here goes,,,Your written English is worse than mine, no punctuation and generally bad grammar no caps etc. If you intend to send out CV's like that you won't get to far.

kb33 Jan 13th 2013 4:04 pm

I wouldn't worry , Half the the companies on Kijiji wanting drivers can't spell and use bad grammar. :blink:

Plus most of us out here came with no Canadian experience and did alright .

If you want it bad enough , You could make it happen , Just wouldn't happen overnight thats all .

Gremmie Jan 13th 2013 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10480598)
I wouldn't worry , Half the the companies on Kijiji wanting drivers can't spell and use bad grammar. :blink:

Plus most of us out here came with no Canadian experience and did alright .

If you want it bad enough , You could make it happen , Just wouldn't happen overnight thats all .

You had UK experience tho, which most look for.

kb33 Jan 13th 2013 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 10481027)
You had UK experience tho, which most look for.

I know thats why I said he might need commercial experience , I heard Westcan are now recruiting applicants without any experience ! :unsure:

ericdraven32 Jan 14th 2013 1:45 am

Hi and thanks for getting back to me i appreciate that my gramer and my spelling is poor so a little background on me i have dslyxia so not that good at some things im a high school drop out with no gcses at all however that has never stop me i joined the TA when i was 17 as an infantry soldier when i turned 24 i joined the enginers keeping my desexia a secret after completing basic training i went on to do my trade training in combat engineering concerentrating on infastructor demoletions mine clearance explosives bridge building water suply i then moved into the cattering core completing my chef class 3 qualifications i then moved back to the engineers moving into mt doing my hgv class 2 then compleating a course to take class 2s off road then compleating my adr including tanker modules

im not after a sympathy vote i just want you to understand that i will work hard for what i want and will fight to get it i know it wont be easy and happen over night

i want to move to canada to start a new life and will do whatever it takes for me to achive this this

iv achived alot in life when people have said id never get any where and when i prove them wrong it makes it even better i will get to canada and will do what ever it takes

ok rant over lol please feel free to comment and point out my misstakes as i cant learn if you dont i dont offened and take everything on board thanks for "trying" to read what iv put lol

ericdraven32 Jan 14th 2013 1:51 am

Just a point i joined the TA in 1998 and im still serving now at 32 iv had the honor of going to some amazing places too from france germany cyprus america and canada

Alberta is where id like to go Calgary area banff some where like that

ericdraven32 Jan 14th 2013 1:53 am

One more thing had my class 2 coming on 2 years granted a majority of my experiance comes from the army i have done numerous jobs for agencies using my class 2

grant r Jan 14th 2013 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ericdraven32 (Post 10481324)
One more thing had my class 2 coming on 2 years granted a majority of my experiance comes from the army i have done numerous jobs for agencies using my class 2

Who cares if your grammar ain't perfect it's readable:-) could you not get into Canada with your engineering qualifications? I'm sure someone who knows more than me will be along to correct me :-) not sure if you will get into Canada without any gcse's tho?