Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Moving from Ireland to Canada

Moving from Ireland to Canada

Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Pfla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Ireland to Canada

Hello Everybody,

I need your help. I want to move to Canada my profession is Truck Driving. I am single man 39 year old with no ties but a mortage to pay at home. Can anyone give me advice on how to go about finding a job? Company name, websites, agencies etc. I would appricate any help. Thank You
Old Dec 9th 2012, 5:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Ireland to Canada

Originally Posted by Pfla
Hello Everybody,

I need your help. I want to move to Canada my profession is Truck Driving. I am single man 39 year old with no ties but a mortage to pay at home. Can anyone give me advice on how to go about finding a job? Company name, websites, agencies etc. I would appricate any help. Thank You
Hi and welcome to BE.

Your first port of call would be to read through as many of the threads in this section as you can, as you will find that people have shared experiences and tips which will help point you in the right direction. That way you will also have a better idea of what other type of info you need or what type of follow-up questions to ask.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pfla
Hello Everybody,

Things are going to be much more complex for you just because you have a mortgage to pay in Ireland. Have a think about the trouble you're going to have to contend with in the near future as a home owner in Ireland; i.e, the new property tax that's just been announced, the forthcoming water-meters and all the fiasco that will go with installing one in every property,..and if you have a septic-tank you're going to get caught up in all that inspection fiasco too!!

The big question is, are you in negative equity at the moment??, if you're not (or if you are but only a bit) then wouldn't you rather sell up and eliminate all those potential headaches and make a fresh start in Canada??
Old Dec 11th 2012, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
The big question is, are you in negative equity at the moment??, if you're not (or if you are but only a bit) then wouldn't you rather sell up and eliminate all those potential headaches and make a fresh start in Canada??
If the OP is only going over on a TWP though, then maybe it's wise to keep a safety net to return to in the UK if needed? We've seen waaaaay too many people in the Canada forums be made redundant on a TWP after selling up everything in the UK - scuppered!!
Old Dec 11th 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If the OP is only going over on a TWP though, then maybe it's wise to keep a safety net to return to in the UK if needed? We've seen waaaaay too many people in the Canada forums be made redundant on a TWP after selling up everything in the UK - scuppered!!
Yes I see your point but the post was headed 'Moving from Ireland to Canada'. Therefore I assumed the mortgage mentioned within the post is on a property in Ireland...perhaps I've got that wrong and the mortgage is on a property in UK...the post is not clear of where 'home' is.
If the mortgage is indeed on a property in Ireland, then I can offer plenty of reasons for any 'single man 39 year old with no ties' (as the poster describes themselves) to get out now while they've still got a shirt on their back an socks on their feet!, hence my comment...
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
If the mortgage is indeed on a property in Ireland, then I can offer plenty of reasons for any 'single man 39 year old with no ties' (as the poster describes themselves) to get out now while they've still got a shirt on their back an socks on their feet!, hence my comment...
Typo on my part, I meant Ireland rather than UK. It'll cost a lot more to have to return if the OP has got rid of his house and needs to start from scratch, hence why I think it's a good idea to keep it as a safety net. Personally, there's no way I would sell a house if I was only moving over on a temporary visa.

Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Typo on my part, I meant Ireland rather than UK. It'll cost a lot more to have to return if the OP has got rid of his house and needs to start from scratch, hence why I think it's a good idea to keep it as a safety net. Personally, there's no way I would sell a house if I was only moving over on a temporary visa.

That would be true if the property was in UK, but Ireland is a special case (or perhaps basket case )...much depends on the circumstances of the OP, the size of the mortgage, the level of negative equity if any, and also the fact that in Ireland there is no option to right off the remainder of the original mortgage if the property is sold at a loss or repossessed by the lender...the debt will still chase the purchaser. I suppose we don't know those circumstances but bet me put it this way, Ireland -a county of only 4million residents- has recently borrowed almost €100billion to keep afloat. The true scale of negative equity in Ireland is yet to hit the fan, as is the 360billion hole in the pension reserves. Basis mathematics would suggest that the deficits are not really repayable even over 30 years, but you can be sure that 'the home owner' and 'the motorist' will be squeezed for everything they have in that time regardless...

Last edited by Gazman; Dec 12th 2012 at 2:44 am. Reason: spellnig erorr