Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada with little experience

Moving to Canada with little experience

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

amplify is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada with little experience

Hello everyone!

I know there was another thread with a similar title, but I didn't want to hijack the thread so that's why i'll start a new one.. although similar.
Well first of all, I guess i should say i'm sorry for writing in these forums since i'm not British. But this was really the largest forum on the subject of trucking in Canada as a foreigner... anyway let's get to the subject.

I've been interested in moving to Canada since I started at a adult education school here in northern Sweden.
It's not the usual sort of school since it a one year class that gives you a large amount of certificates and about 2 months of practical experience through a apprenticeship. (C/E, ADR, Hi-ab, forklift certificate, wheel loader certificate and ecodriving)

What i'm wondering is if I would actually be able to find any jobs without the necessary experience they usually require when i'm finishing this class? Is there anyone else out there that's young like me (21 years old) that actually made it to Canada and got employed?

Oh and yes, I got winter driving experience

Thanks

Last edited by amplify; Sep 3rd 2013 at 6:56 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Canada with little experience

Bump.
I read about some other people that's done the harvest run in the states and then use that experience to get employment in Canada later.
Anyone done a harvest run in Canada? (since as far as I know you have to retake the tests when you transfer your US CDL)

Last edited by amplify; Sep 5th 2013 at 2:01 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by amplify
Bump.
I read about some other people that's done the harvest run in the states and then use that experience to get employment in Canada later.
Anyone done a harvest run in Canada? (since as far as I know you have to retake the tests when you transfer your US CDL)
I knew someone who did the harvest thing a few years back, then got a job up in Canada, however it was only a temp job and the person got deported and banned from re-entering Canada or the USA for 19 years, if you want to take the risk to work like a slave for a few months then by all means do it.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Try to google "Bunac" dunno if you can apply as a Swedish citizen.

Canada should welcome you with open arms. Particularly young drivers are in very short supply. Your country is a great place especially in the north, I strongly suggest you consider a visit first?

Technically you need 2 years experience to get an LMO. Are there any trucking companies you could work for in your area?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by watchamacallit
I knew someone who did the harvest thing a few years back, then got a job up in Canada, however it was only a temp job and the person got deported and banned from re-entering Canada or the USA for 19 years, if you want to take the risk to work like a slave for a few months then by all means do it.
Well, I'm not aiming to do anything illegal so i'm not going anywhere without any visa
Originally Posted by alandoug
Try to google "Bunac" dunno if you can apply as a Swedish citizen.

Canada should welcome you with open arms. Particularly young drivers are in very short supply. Your country is a great place especially in the north, I strongly suggest you consider a visit first?

Technically you need 2 years experience to get an LMO. Are there any trucking companies you could work for in your area?
Thank you for the reply! (and sorry for my slow reply)

That sounds great!
On paper this class would give me one year of work experience (but I guess that means nothing in Canada..) but working in Sweden for a year or two wouldn't be a bad idea since I need money before heading to Canada anyway..

Hopefully they won't shut the door for truckdrivers, like in NZ.
That's the thing that is making me want to hurry

Also, I googled Bunac and it seem to be only for Irish, UK and American citizens. But i'll send them an e-mail anyway later.

Thank you once again!
/Oskar

Last edited by amplify; Sep 28th 2013 at 6:38 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amplify
Also, I googled Bunac and it seem to be only for Irish, UK and American citizens. But i'll send them an e-mail anyway later.
No point Googling Bunac, that's not the program name. Google 'International Experience Class' instead.

Swedish citizens are eligible btw - http://www.international.gc.ca/exper....aspx?lang=eng

HTH.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No point Googling Bunac, that's not the program name. Google 'International Experience Class' instead.

Swedish citizens are eligible btw - http://www.international.gc.ca/exper....aspx?lang=eng

HTH.
WOW! That's amazing
Time to start calculating how much it will cost to take the CDL and drivers license in Canada.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited by amplify; Sep 29th 2013 at 12:10 pm.