British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Moving to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/moving-canada-498829/)

markraynes Dec 9th 2007 4:17 pm

Moving to Canada

Hi guys.

me and missus have been thinking for long time bout living in Canada. Im a class 1 driver and wanted to be in contact with HGV Drivings living there so we can talk bout it and wat its like.
Got lots of Questions.

>I want a driving job where you come home every night, like a normal job. Ive heard lots jobs are where drive for weeks then go home. No good.

> Wats wages like

> Wheres best place to go

> Wats living like and how expensive it is. Like Fuel, HOuse Prices (rent/buy) etc

> How long the process takes to move, find house find schools get job etc

Be grateful for advice. Email me at [email protected] and reply here

Thanks Canadian Buddys

p.s. Something funny for you. My missus asked me once ` Wat laguaunge do they speak, will we have to Learn it` ??????

bigwheels241 Dec 10th 2007 10:49 am

Re: Moving to Canada

:eek:

Originally Posted by markraynes (Post 5649895)
p.s. Something funny for you. My missus asked me once ` Wat laguaunge do they speak, will we have to Learn it` ??????

Thats OK, in Australia, many Yanks think Australia is an island the size of ireland, once I was asked if they have or are they getting cash machines in Australia.:eek:

(Some Mothers do have them)

markraynes Dec 10th 2007 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 5652417)
:eek:

Thats OK, in Australia, many Yanks think Australia is an island the size of ireland, once I was asked if they have or are they getting cash machines in Australia.:eek:

(Some Mothers do have them)

thats yanks for you

DAVIE_MAC Dec 10th 2007 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by markraynes (Post 5649895)
Hi guys.

me and missus have been thinking for long time bout living in Canada. Im a class 1 driver and wanted to be in contact with HGV Drivings living there so we can talk bout it and wat its like.
Got lots of Questions.

>I want a driving job where you come home every night, like a normal job. Ive heard lots jobs are where drive for weeks then go home. No good.

DIFFICULT !! But possible have a look at RJ Hoffmans site for starters or do a search on the forums for the company as there has been lots put up about them, too much to explain here.

SEE END NOTE.

> Wats wages like

Look at the thread wages for truckers again TOOOOOO much to put here as it has been covered IN DEPTH time and again.

> Wheres best place to go

How long is a piece of string....Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world and it has everything...you need to ask yourself what you and your familys requirements are???

> Wats living like and how expensive it is. Like Fuel, HOuse Prices (rent/buy) etc

Again depends on the area you settle in.

BC Higher wages Higher cost of living

PEI & NS Lower wages Lower cost of living.

www.mls.ca
for houses.

> How long the process takes to move, find house find schools get job etc

Can be from months to 5 years depending on what route into Canada you wish to take.

Be grateful for advice. Email me at [email protected] and reply here

Thanks Canadian Buddys

END NOTE

Mark.

You need to ask yourself wht do YOU want as a family and what YOUR requirements are.

When do you wish to move?

What sort of enviroment do you wish to live in? City / Country / Hilly / Flat etc etc.

How much money you have to make the move? (don't post it on here tho)

Job!! As mentioned what do you want and this ties in with the above where you want to go / When you want to move.
Temp Work Permit (TWP) onto Provincial Nominee Programme (PNP) can be a matter of months.

Applying for Perminant Residency without a job offer can be up to 5 years however after you get this you can do any job you wish. BUT this is more difficult if you can not meet the required amount of points which I think is currently 67. I know I couldn't as a truck driver without a good degree / diploma level of education.

If you can answer the few question above then I'll get back to you as I'm off home now and tried to be as basic as I could in a short space of time.

Cheers Dave.

bigwheels241 Dec 12th 2007 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 5652942)
END NOTE

Mark.

You need to ask yourself wht do YOU want as a family and what YOUR requirements are.

What sort of enviroment do you wish to live in? City / Country / Hilly / Flat etc etc.

Job!! As mentioned what do you want and this ties in with the above where you want to go / When you want to move.
Temp Work Permit (TWP) onto Provincial Nominee Programme (PNP) can be a matter of months.

Applying for Perminant Residency without a job offer can be up to 5 years however after you get this you can do any job you wish. BUT this is more difficult if you can not meet the required amount of points which I think is currently 67. I know I couldn't as a truck driver without a good degree / diploma level of education.

If you can answer the few question above then I'll get back to you as I'm off home now and tried to be as basic as I could in a short space of time.

Cheers Dave.

Well answered DAVIE_MAC :thumbsup:

markraynes Dec 12th 2007 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 5652942)
END NOTE

Mark.

Cheers Dave.

we want to move in next 12-24 months. I will not move unless got few grand in bank to make us secure.
Want a secure job but threads ive read it looks like there is no secure jobs. good wages and better living for us.
we wanted to move coz of state the uk is in. get taxed to death on wages then taxed to death and purchases.

we not sure bout lots of things but i think we going on holiday next year and have a scout around. wat places would u reccomend to go and check out.
Ive been told bout wescan transport and im going to train for a adr. is adr used much. also want a job were im home every niight with the odd night out is ok, but dont want to be away for days and weeks at one time

thanks

meritor Dec 12th 2007 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by markraynes (Post 5660992)
we want to move in next 12-24 months. I will not move unless got few grand in bank to make us secure.
Want a secure job but threads ive read it looks like there is no secure jobs. good wages and better living for us.
we wanted to move coz of state the uk is in. get taxed to death on wages then taxed to death and purchases.

we not sure bout lots of things but i think we going on holiday next year and have a scout around. wat places would u reccomend to go and check out.
Ive been told bout wescan transport and im going to train for a adr. is adr used much. also want a job were im home every niight with the odd night out is ok, but dont want to be away for days and weeks at one time

thanks

fyi,the tax/deductions in canada re very similar to the uk,wht makes you think its going to be less in canada,plus every purchase you make in north america is taxed,the tax is not included in the price of things you buy its added when you pay at the register.

in my opinion there are no secure jobs you either stick it or you dont.
now as for a job that takes you home every night,the pnp program in alberta clearly states that,local/short haul drivers are not included,ie, you must be a long haul truck driver,possibly it may involve that you will be obliged to cross the border.

bigwheels241 Dec 13th 2007 6:28 am

Originally Posted by meritor (Post 5661136)
in my opinion there are no secure jobs you either stick it or you dont.

Many will say the same, you are best taking in 2008 a trip over there, go visit the area you like, and pop into the trucking Co's and meet them, ask around over there and if you get offered a job, then ask them to sponsor you to move.